Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

standard transmission leak

Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
standard transmission leak

Ok. Perhaps some one can advise me here before I go and do something stupid.

I searched around for trans leak and such and got alot on toasted autos and such, thus my thread...

Recently, my 86 pu 5spd standard started leaking on the transmission. (I say ON because the sides are covered and it seems to be coming from the top.

It looks like its coming from the top of the trans....the shift towers.

The gear shift has a ton of slop in it. When its in 3rd gear you can move it into the 1st and 5th position. I am not sure if this might relate to the leak, but I bring it up also in the thread so if any one has a suggestion to fixing it, while I'm into the trans to fix the leak I can deal with this as well.

--------> Ok here are the meat and potatoes of the thread <---------

Do the 4wd shift and the stick shift have seals that can be replaced with the trans still in the vehicle?

Does the stick shift have pins that guide it and keep the slop out of them? Or how can I remedy this slop, and or if it is of no concern I will disregard as it does not really bother me that much.

-------------------

This seemed to happen after I locked in the hubs, one hub did not engage so I was still in 2wd. But one hub was locked in. Shortly after this I noticed the trans leak.

It is continuing now with the hub repaired and working (the little check ball was stuck. I had to remove it break down the hub, clean little spring loaded check ball, grease...clean out all the crud from the hub assembly and reassemble and now its great.)

I just drove it an hour and as soon as I got off the highway I could smell the trans oil.

truck shifts fine.

Suggestions please?

Thanks RJ
Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 PM

First off I would take the shifter boot of and see if the bolts holding the shifter to a the transmission are loose if so tighten and see if it s better and stops leaking.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm going to put some bucket seats into it next week (I skaged them out of a...Probe I think from a friends towing lot) so I'll have the seats out while I fab up the mounts for them. So I'll pull up the carpet and take a look at it then I guess. I was planning on doing that the same time. I just wanted to find out if they had gaskets or what so I could get em so when I had it all pulled apart it would be easier to replace...and I'd have them if I needed them.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Well, I felt froggie so I went out side and pulled the cover off the shifters and the gear shift was barley bolted down anymore. I tightened them down w a 12mm and there was like....1/4" of thread sticking out of the last 2 I tightened.

What the heck? I mean?

The PO pt a clutch in it so I wonder if he just didnt tighten them? Or perhaps all the vibration from my bent axle (just fixed this weekend) vibrated them loose?

Crazy. Hope that got it.
Thanks for the suggestion Cal. It was the right one.

Guess I'll pick up one of those Marlin Crawler kits and get the rest of the slop out of it when ever I get around to it.

RJ
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect you'll still want to put in a new shifter seat. Your old one has probably disintegrated or maybe the PO left it out. If you still have wobble in your shifting after tightening those bolts, do it.

The seats from Marlin are popular. Search here and read about them curing many shifting ills. If you order one, also get the bushing that fits on the end of the shifter.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 01-19-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Yah, I was looking at those Marlin kits. Will probably need one. I have a few other issues 1st tho. Like my carrier bearing, front vibration (Idol arm...ect) That I need to get done first.

Install 2nd battery, wire quick winch hook ups to the rear and front....
Flush radiator....New breaks....

Ugh. A bunch. Just keep chipping away...

Just put a new (rear) axle in. Other one was a banana.

How is the engine rebuild going? Thinking of picking up a 22r and building one, just so its ready to go in when the other goes.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how that goes.

Building an engine up on the side to drop in later would be ideal. No rush to build, and very little downtime to do the swap.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 01-19-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Yah, Think of building one, with a little bigger bore, with 20 head. Hear good things about that combination.

RJ
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Put in the marlin crawler shift kit. I highly recommend the kit. Easy install and made a huge difference in the shifting of the truck.