86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SS IFS brace..... is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SS IFS brace..... is it needed?

Looking at the Sonoran Steel IFS brace and was wondering (from those of you that have or have had one) is it really is a needed item? I'm probably not going to run anything larger than 35's ever, and won't be doing that until my 31's are toast, I also don't do any "hard core" trails just some weekend runs in the mountains and a camping/fishing trip or two. I like the idea of linking things together underneath but don't want to spend the money if I really don't need to.

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It helps keep alignments in, and is an excellent mount for a skid plate.

Needed, no. Badass, yes.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine came with a brace, but it isn't as slick as the Sonoran (mine is tubular with end plates).
Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a good idea if you want to keep your truck in alignment but I agree with Ike, needed no but badass yes.

Let me know if you want to see the one on my 4runner. The truss is a really nice piece of work.

I also have a Downey truss and the SS truss makes it look like the cheap junk that it is.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

i have one and have used it. it is very solid and can take some pretty hard hits. i am hard on my truck and it has held up very well. im with ike & nmtoy, for me, i need it. just wish ss made an idler arm brace!

lee
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, a brace is needed. Helps keep your alignment and the frame from bending. This can happen with stock tires and potholes.

The SS one is awesome, but is just one of the options. I need to make a skid plate to attack to mine.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't realize it'd help with the alignment issue even on a "small" rig like mine. I thought it was built for rock crawlers and buggies.

nmtoy can you post a picture? Or I could come take a look at it.

I'm really trying to "bullet proof" my rig so I feel comfortable going where I want to when I want to and little things like braces and armor go a long way for my confidence, which is why I ordered the Budbuilt t-case plate and am looking at some sliders even though I don't do anything extreme enough to really justify such measures.

I'm guessing that an idler arm brace would be a good idea as well?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

it doesnt help with alignment, it helps keep your lower 'a' arms from being spread apart via vigorous off road activities! once you have 'modified' your lower 'a' arms, it is difficult to return them to their original orientation.

the idler arm brace will give the idler arm a bit more support in similar situations. it will not prevent idler arm failure entirely. you can outfit your rig as much or little as your $$$ allow over time. installing armour, is being prepared for an off road opportunity that you would otherwise pass on due to not being prepared.

lee
Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

The two pics under the "5 braces pic" are of the brace on my 4runner
http://sonoransteel.com/Early_IFS_Brace.html
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 AM

I don't wheel my 4runner hard but I want it to be capable if I ever do.
Here are a few shots of the truss installed.

You can see how nasty and oily my motor was before the new timing chain.

Downey idler arm truss.

Junkers, you are welcome to check out my truck anytime, just let me know.

Robb
Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 PM

get it to keep your alignments in check.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you aren't jumping your truck you don't need the brace. The a-arm mounts are not that weak. If you are, you should consider it, they can spread apart over time. You don't need that particular one but it allows you to add a skid plate, is very strong, and protects better than the round tube type.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I didn't realize it'd help with the alignment issue even on a "small" rig like mine. I thought it was built for rock crawlers and buggies.

nmtoy can you post a picture? Or I could come take a look at it.

I'm really trying to "bullet proof" my rig so I feel comfortable going where I want to when I want to and little things like braces and armor go a long way for my confidence, which is why I ordered the Budbuilt t-case plate and am looking at some sliders even though I don't do anything extreme enough to really justify such measures.

I'm guessing that an idler arm brace would be a good idea as well?
most rock crawlers and buggies go to a solid front axle...
this peace is one of the peaces i would def get if i was planning to use my ifs!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
If you aren't jumping your truck you don't need the brace. The a-arm mounts are not that weak. If you are, you should consider it, they can spread apart over time. You don't need that particular one but it allows you to add a skid plate, is very strong, and protects better than the round tube type.

Frank
Frank, what do you base your first sentence on? I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but it is one of those things you can neither prove or disprove. What is to say that hard hits during wheeling can't/don't cause movement of the mounts if unbraced?

To the OP, I think that one can't really say with any certainty what the real outcome of having/not having a brace is going to be for any particular rig. I am in the process of SAS and took some pics of my Downey brace which I will attach below. We had alot of fun dogging it compared to the SS brace but in reality, it did it's job. I had no mis-alignment issues during it's time on my truck. Or did it really matter? I can't prove that I would have had issues without it. For my part, it was really good peace of mind knowing I had some kind of protection under there while I was grinding my truck over riverbeds. The SS brace was not in production when I got my Downey brace, otherwise I would have had a SS. I also think for the "smaller" trucks armor becomes even more important and as Frank mentioned the flat surface of te SS brace makes for a nice platform to attach skids. So I guess I throw my vote in with everyone elses. Necessary? No. Comforting? You bet.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are taking hard hits well that's what will move those a-arm mounts. Jumping does it. I guess I wasn't really thinking about the accidental bash though. Typically when I'm crawling try real hard no to hit the diff.

Funny thing though is that I need a brace. I do jump.

Agree with your summation that it's not needed but it sure is nice. I'd like one.

Frank
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
the brace makes a really nice jacking point, too. i don't have the SS brace, but the one i got is identical to it from trdparts4u, i believe he said it was made by 'RockTech'. right now i'm glad i opted to bolt it on instead of weld because i've gotta remove my front diff very soon.