Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spray in bedliner for whole truck!!!!!!!! Good or bad idea??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray in bedliner for whole truck!!!!!!!! Good or bad idea??

I was going to see about getting the spray in bedliner for the whole truck instead of a cheap paint job... question is you all think this will be a good idea or bad??? What would the weight diff. be with paint versus bedliner coating and so on things like that? ne info appreciated!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

It might look ok after you just finish it but I think over time it'll start to look like crap. I think a rattlecan job would be better and then just bedline the lower rocker panels.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM

the whole truck? im thinking that may not be the best idea...
just my .02
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a truck that was cover in bed liner all over except the roof and it didnt look bad at all. Its gonna weigh a lot and later it might look crappy.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM

You could just wear a pink scarf, cheaper but the same effect. Jk haha
Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM

I am doing mine with duplicolor bedliner, I was going to do the bottom half but I think the bedliner will protect against trees and branches better than paint. I like the matte black look if it's ok for me. Weight is not an issue as it doesn't weigh more than a couple coats of paint.

Last edited by blueyoda; 06-06-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM

theres one on Toyota Nation, it looks good.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:51 AM

I think you might be surprised at how much weight it adds. Might want to research it further...
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

I have 2 very good friends that have done sprayed their entire truck with bedliner. One drives a Jeep Cherokee and the other a Jeep Wrangler. My friend with the Cherokee did his 4 years ago and it still looks very good, better than most cheap paint jobs I have seen.

The guy with the Cherokee used Morton's bedliner and my other friend used Sems bedliner. Both are very good products, I prefer the Sems because it seems to go on thicker and you can tint it any color you want with normal automotive paint.

The bedliner is awesome in the brush, it does not scratch. It also prevents dents and does a great job of hiding flaws in the sheet metal. I don't know how much it weighs compared to paint but 2 gallons should just about do your whole rig.

Make sure you prep very well, sand everything and use an etching primer otherwise you risk chipping and peeling. Make sure you spray the bedliner on, do not roll it. You can get get uv protection for the bedliner as well to prevent fading.

I recommend it for a cheap and durable paint job.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Is this a daily driver or just a weekend warrior?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM

its an 88 pickup......and its a daily driver and hunting rig i would get the uv protection to prevent fading...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 88yota_blackbeauty
I was going to see about getting the spray in bedliner for the whole truck instead of a cheap paint job... question is you all think this will be a good idea or bad??? What would the weight diff. be with paint versus bedliner coating and so on things like that? ne info appreciated!!!!!
i saw a guy at a lumber yard in humbolt county that did that, it looks like complete crap. hehehe.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Name:  100_0690.jpg
Views: 13480
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  100_0704.jpg
Views: 18220
Size:  123.7 KB

Yeah... They look horrible... Jeep is orange durabak, 4runner is red.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM

A buddy of mine did his TJ years ago. Jet black inside and out. It still looks good. He'd go wheeling and just hose the whole thing off. It even had ghost flames It was super sweet. -BUT he worked at the LINEX installer-

There is another guy in town who did his whole pickup (topper and all) in some sort of red bed liner. It looks like crap.

It all depends on how much time and effort you put into it. If you do the cheap and dirty - that is what it will look like.

If you do try the roll on yourself you will need to make sure you sand the entire area if you want it to actually stick. The biggest issue with DIY liner installs is the installer. Taker your time do it right.

Last edited by wardriver; 06-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 PM

How can you say its gonna weigh a lot? Say worst case 8 pounds a gal. say you use 2, thats 16 pounds. Just go take a big crap and it will all work out
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM

My truck has bedliner as paint and its good enough for me, but it doesnt have a shine to it as you would guess. Just make sure you get a bedliner that has UV protection!!! First time i tried this it faded Bad in like 1 month when it was always sitting in the sun. I think durabak is great and it does have UV options.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first got my truck, I painted the hood with duplicolor spray on bedliner. At first, it looked really good. It went on evenly and had an aggressive look. After a couple days though, it started to look pretty crappy. It didn't look even at all. Also, its rough, gritty surface trapped all dirt that ever got on it. It was super hard to wash, and drying it would make it worse since it would trap parts of the rag on it. In addition to this, it faded from black to gray within a month. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with it.

I removed it a couple months later and found that rust was developing under it. I then had to sand all the rust off and repaint it. When repainting, I used duplicolor flat black. I've been relatively satisfied with the repainting.

I have seen other trucks with a bedliner type paint that have looked good. I would suggest two things. Don't use duplicolor. And do use some type of UV protection. just my two pennies
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

The Jeep has been done for 3 years, the 4runner has been done for 2. faded a little. I use a floor scrubber with any kind of cleaner. The Jeep has gotten the best comments, It just looks like a hard core rough vehicle, the 4runner I have gotten mixed opinions. I like them because they are different. They stand out in the crowd.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:24 PM

Weight?

I always hear the weight argument and it's BS. It's going to weigh as much as it does in the can or less because of evaporation once it's applied. If I'm wrong then explain to me how it's going to weigh more than it does when it's in the can.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see this is your first post.

Try not to get caught up debating with posts from 7 years ago.

You are right of course, it can't weigh more than it did in the can.

FullBody bed lining is a fine choice for any heavy duty vehicle. I recommend using the clear urethane product which is tintable like auto paint. Then of course, prep is critical because if it starts peeling, its garbage, and very very very hard to remove. I don't recommend red. It's most sensitive to uv fade. Use a product like turtle wax ice to protect it afterward.

If you want an even cheaper paint job but it's not durable at all like bedliner, the plasti-Dip Spray is real affordable and easy to spray DIY.

Welcome to the forum!! =)

Quick Reply: Spray in bedliner for whole truck!!!!!!!! Good or bad idea??