Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Split Second MAF Conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Split Second MAF Conversion??

Anybody done this? Noticed it at LC Engineering and was intrigued. Just curious if anybody has gone down that road?

Yeah, it is pricey, but the ability to "tune"/adjust the ecu sounds fun... lol

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...E-EF8B987AC046
Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting.

I made one of those for my truck and played around with it. I can confirm a MAF works a lot better than the VAFM. It knocked 2 seconds off the zero to 60 time and the throttle response was noticeably improved.

I'm wondering about the tuneability. The ECU is going to correct for any mixture variations introduced by the kit since the mixture changes show up at the O2 sensor and are compensated for.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Thats pretty cool, I wonder if they make one (or one could be easily made) for the veezee (I didnt search). Flippin expensive though. You could buy a whole 2/3RZ motor for what they want for that.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Interesting.

I made one of those for my truck and played around with it. I can confirm a MAF works a lot better than the VAFM. It knocked 2 seconds off the zero to 60 time and the throttle response was noticeably improved.

I'm wondering about the tuneability. The ECU is going to correct for any mixture variations introduced by the kit since the mixture changes show up at the O2 sensor and are compensated for.

Yeah, it looks like there is some performance to be gained...

As for "adaptation", from my previous experiences (mostly with euro OBD-II cars), adaptation is for closed loop. When you hit open loop (2/3 throttle +), you go open and adaptation is out the window.

I went to split seconds website (splitsec.com I think) and read up on the unit. In discussing the programming (tuning), they advise to set AFR's close to stoich for closed loop operation (to deal with adaptation...as the ECU will do it anyways). The real fun comes during open loop!

Being as I already have a PLX Devices AFR meter installed, it is easy to see wtf is going on...and I run lean often. I was thinking this device would be nice as it would offer the ability for me to tune to head with work, cam, headers, larger TB, etc, etc.

However, it is pricey! The control unit iself is a few hundred from Split Second and I bet I could find a Tacoma MAF for a decent price....the only drawback to that is the LC kit is fairly plug and play...no ECU wires to splice/hack. Thus....easy to reverse for "smog checks".

At any rate, I was checking it out and curious if anybody else has tried this kit, or something similar.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wouldn't you be better off using a MaftPro?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

For that price you could get an aftermarket ECU which controls fuel and ignition. I am running a microtech ($1300 AUD RRP) standalone and I am pretty happy. Any idiot can tune it. It only needs ,water temp, air temp (MAT), manifold pressure (MAP),and crank position sensor (stock re dizzy) to run so it is piss easy to wire.

I just don't see why anyone would pay that much just to read MAP instead of VAFM...removing the VAFM in it's own right will improve power (no restriction) however the limitation is the stock ECM. I am curioius as to what programming is available...at the end of the day it is a piggy back controll and answer to the stock ECM.