86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

split cv boot--compatible parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
split cv boot--compatible parts

I have a cracked CV boot spewing grease. It just started, and I drive this truck (93 pickup, 4wd, 3.0L) only about 3k miles per year.
I'm hoping for several reasons to get one of the two part (split) boots that glue together so I can clean out the old grease and get it back on the road. Ideally, I know I should pull the entire half shaft (undoing the 4wd hub), but I don't want to go that route yet for several reasons (cost, time...). If this repair doesn't work (only ~20 bucks per side), I should be able to tell if the repaired boots are leaking pretty easily--I'll have the old grease out of the way and most of the new boots are bright blue.

However, I'm having trouble finding the glue together boots specific to my year anywhere. Does anyone know if other models or years have the same half axle? I can't find a good cross-reference database to check newer Tacomas, T-100's, landcruisers, etc, or even something like a pathfinder. For the narrow end of the boot, I can pretty easily and accurately measure the axle shaft past the boot. However, for the outboard (hub side), the boot is in the way.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Dorman is the only one I know of who still makes the split-boots, and their website clearly states that they DO NOT fit a Toyota Pickup. http://www.carid.com/dorman/cv-joint...ZZOBoCiPrw_wcB

Someone else might know a better source.

Personally, I think a couple yards of duct tape would work just as well as a split boot. (meaning: not at all) You'll never be able to clean out the grease without taking the joint apart, and the whole point of a split boot is so that you DON'T have to get that far. Next, unless you've got your head under the truck every time you drive it, you won't know when that repair lets go, the joint starts to fill up with sand, and grinds itself away. I guess when it gets really bad you just replace the whole thing (which is the cost-effective way to replace the boots anyway.)

But you've thought about all of this, and it's your decision. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
you should be ok temporarily while you source new parts - many people drive tens of thousands of miles in the same condition. tape it shut if it really bothers you. since it's a 4wd part that commonly snaps offroad, i would recommend you either source a used OEM CV and rebuild it, or go buy a lifetime warranty CV from auto parts store - this way you have an OEM trail spare ready to go.
tip for cleaning grease from parts like a CV - use toilet paper wads to wipe once and toss, so you're not spreading grease around with the same rag.