86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speedometer fix suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer fix suggestions?

I cant seem to find any threads where people are having the same problem as me. All the gauges in my cluster work (tach, oil pressure, temp, voltage, and gas) except for the speedometer. Previous owner replaced the sensor on the transmission that controls the speedo and that didn't fix it. Sometimes the thing works, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it doesnt work at all. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM

I have not had one of these clusters apart yet, but if they work like most others them the needle operates on a cushion of thick oil. It is possible that the oil is leaked out our dried up. I have added new oil successfully on other makes. I will find the writeup I used for my chevy. All the same principals should apply to these.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM

This is for the fuel gauge on gmt400 but if these toyota needlea operate on the same principal then its worth a shot.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VDaHX1ntgT0Cng
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Alright man, I'll try this out over the weekend and let you know what happens.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Also check for a speedo fuse in the fuse box. Not sure if these trucks have them but my old gmc has a seperate fuse for the speedo. It is possible that the fuse box terminals are loose or corroded.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by NickRob96
I cant seem to find any threads where people are having the same problem as me. All the gauges in my cluster work (tach, oil pressure, temp, voltage, and gas) except for the speedometer. Previous owner replaced the sensor on the transmission that controls the speedo and that didn't fix it. Sometimes the thing works, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it doesnt work at all. Any suggestions?
It would be like totally super duper helpful if the world knew what vehicle you're talking about it....going out on a limb....it's possibly a Toyota....?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile

It would be like totally super duper helpful if the world knew what vehicle you're talking about it....going out on a limb....it's possibly a Toyota....?
Well we are on Yotatech.....lol. 93 pickup 3.0 5-speed.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM

I figure it has the electronic speedometer vs. the cable speedometer but not sure how to go about fixing it. A cluster swap would probably work but im trying to keep it as cheap as possible.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cheap GPS
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 92yoterDD
Also check for a speedo fuse in the fuse box. Not sure if these trucks have them but my old gmc has a seperate fuse for the speedo. It is possible that the fuse box terminals are loose or corroded.
I will check tomorrow but I figure if it was a bad fuse the speedometer wouldn't work at all.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM

The wiring for the electrical speedo on 92-95 truck and 4R follows as.
From the trans sensor up into the engine compartment and through the firewall to a plug (IH1) (Passenger kick panel), From there it Y's off, One going to the ECU and the other going to the speedo gauge.
The cluster uses the same ground out for all gauges.

Suggest check the condition of the plug at the trans, Then Pull the gauge cluster and check for oxidation on the plugs and you can check the tightness of the 4 Philips screws right behind the speedo gauge.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Have you pulled the cluster out? I'm pretty sure your problem is a speedometer cable. I have a 93 truck and a 95 4runner, both have cables.

Sent from my iPad using YotaTech
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Does the odometer work? If it works and the speedometer doesn't, then the problem is in the combination meter. If the odometer goes out when the speedometer drops, then I doubt it is in the combination meter.

(The cruise control should also go out if it is a sensor problem.)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this truck have Cruise?
If so, Does the cruise work?

The pulse signal that runs the cruise comes from the sensor on the transmission (if it's an electronic speedo) or from the speedo itself (if it's a cable driven speedo)

If the cruise works then I'd say you may have a dead speedometer gauge

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 03-14-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Punchy
The wiring for the electrical speedo on 92-95 truck and 4R follows as.
From the trans sensor up into the engine compartment and through the firewall to a plug (IH1) (Passenger kick panel), From there it Y's off, One going to the ECU and the other going to the speedo gauge.
The cluster uses the same ground out for all gauges.

Suggest check the condition of the plug at the trans, Then Pull the gauge cluster and check for oxidation on the plugs and you can check the tightness of the 4 Philips screws right behind the speedo gauge.
Guy I bought it off of said he thought it was the whole speedometer motor behind the cluster? Not sure though I've never had it apart.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sgary1967
Have you pulled the cluster out? I'm pretty sure your problem is a speedometer cable. I have a 93 truck and a 95 4runner, both have cables.

Sent from my iPad using YotaTech
Nope, I'm going to try and do it sometime this weekend. And both older and newer have one attached but I believe the cables are thicker and the newer ones are just a wire.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Does the odometer work? If it works and the speedometer doesn't, then the problem is in the combination meter. If the odometer goes out when the speedometer drops, then I doubt it is in the combination meter.

(The cruise control should also go out if it is a sensor problem.)
Yes the odometer still works even when the speedo doesn't. And I don't have cruise.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Innocent Fool
Does this truck have Cruise?
If so, Does the cruise work?

The pulse signal that runs the cruise comes from the sensor on the transmission (if it's an electronic speedo) or from the speedo itself (if it's a cable driven speedo)

If the cruise works then I'd say you may have a dead speedometer gauge
No cruise control and the PO already replaced the transmission sensor. Could it be a bad connection?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM
gmc

Have you been underneath the truck to look at the sensor connection? If the sensor was replaced, they may have damaged a wire or the plug may be loose. Sensor is on the top right rear of the t-case.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by gmc
Have you been underneath the truck to look at the sensor connection? If the sensor was replaced, they may have damaged a wire or the plug may be loose. Sensor is on the top right rear of the t-case.
I haven't, but the reason the PO replaced it was because it was having the same problem and it still isnt fixed. But I will be sure to check it this weekend when I get it in the garage.

Quick Reply: Speedometer fix suggestions?