Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i e-mailed toyota canada and they replied right away! After giving my VIN, they gave me an instruction to go to any toyota stealership service for 2 outstanding recall:

Daytime running light
Steering relay rod

sweet! Old 91 of mine will visit the toyota service for free hehehe....
Old 10-30-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blair
Was your VIN on the published list?
Or did you call the dealer or Toyota?
Or maybey the Canadian stock is just more sturdy???
I have a family member who does warranty at a dealership. I gave her my vin. She looked it up. It was done. Nuff said really.

I saw an internal memo and supposedly they haven't had any problems at all with the steering relay rod on any 89-95 P/U or 90-95 4runner but they have had 7 known breakages on the 93-98 T-100. No problems, injuries, or accidents resulted from these breakages. I'm guessing maybe because the
T-100 is a bigger truck that it might put more stress on it perhaps, I can't say. But Toyota is playing it safe I guess. I would imagine since they probably used the same steering relay rod in ALL of these vehicles that yours will need to be done. Just call the Toy dealership, tell them your vin and tell them you want to book an appointment. Once you have yours done it then goes into the system as your Vin's vehicle having been done. This is so other dealerships can look up your maintenance records, and so they know it doesn't need to be done if you end up getting it serviced elsewhere, etc. Or if you sell the rig and the next owner isn't sure if it was done or not, etc.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:30 PM

just had mine done

Well, dealer did it with no problems. Recommended a new idler arm, recommended I replace tie rods (frozen sleeve) since they couldn't set the toe-in for alignment. Otherwise fine.

Thanks for keeping all of us informed. Is there any other recall (besides the head gasket) I should be aware of for my '92 3.slow auto 4wd?

J
Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM

I think that is it as far as recalls and the like for our trucks & 4runners of this era.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

well im at toyota right now...
Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

toook mine in today at 7am ready to be stolen from. Just got a call at 11 15 saying they can't do any of the recall until I replace Idler arm, pitman arm and tie rods. 875 dollars. No thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

All went well... they fixed my clutch pedal friction point... washed my truck and said adios after they were done... They didn't try to tell me I needed anything like that.... hm..
Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
when i took mine in they tryed to sell me a ildler arm for $250, and did a impressivly crappy job of aligning it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

i got my appt for nov 14 , i plan on being out of town and this was a good time ot drop it off and gett herdone while im away . i have already replaced all my idler arm , pitman arm , ball joints and tie rods so it will be interesting to see wha tthey have to say needs to be fixed LOL

and the guy who checked out my 4runner , even noticed that this had already been replaced , im sure they will find something else that they want ot replace , but now that i have my shop , no chance in heck they are goingto soak me for more money LOL

airrikk17
Old 10-31-2005, 02:43 PM

Well they replaced it thurs. but after doing it I guess they discovered that the alignment machine was broken, so I've been waiting on them to get it fixed so they can align it..
Went by there and looked at what they replaced and in addition to the relay rod, they put new tie rods on too. Wonder if they did that thinking that's why they couldn't get it aligned before they relized the machine was broken? Anyway they'd better not try to charge me for the tie rods because I didn't tell them to replace that.

It's funny because they told me thursday that the machine would be fixed friday and it'd be ready friday afternoon, then I call them friday and they said it'd be as late as monday before they could have the machine fixed and the truck ready. Saturday they told me it could be wed. before it's fixed and the trucks ready, and today they told me they're supposed to come tuesday morning and fix the machine and that he was really sorry and he'd call me the second they get it done (the first time they apologized for taking so long).
Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 PM

got it back tonight. it's aligned and has new tie rods and the new relay rod.

got a pic of it, but it was dark so it's not the best:

Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Question

For those people that have called Toyota and given them their VIN # and were told that their's was not included in the recall , just wait for the notice to come in the mail. I called the 800 # about the recall when I first read this post and they told me that my Runner was not included in this recall. Just for the fun of it I called about 2 weeks later and was told the same thing again. No problem , I figured that would be just fine with me not having to go to the Stealership. Today in the mail I got my recall notice saying the relay rod needs to be replaced. Anybody else encounter this ? I guess now I will have to go to the Stealership after all ! Nice to get something taken care of that needs to be done and get it for free at that but, I sure hate going there !
Old 11-21-2005, 03:53 PM
art
Contributing Member

I had mine done last week. I called the day before,they checked the VIN,said it was an affected model. Dropped it off the next morning. I had it back at 3:00 that day. They only replaced the relay rod. They also did an alignment. No headaches for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Had mine done on Sat and looks just like the picture above.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:39 AM

I had mine done last week, in the last month I have done inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm and idler pully. I picked the truck up from the dealer, got back to work and looked under it. They had torn every boot connecting to the relay rod (idler, pitman, both tie rod ends, and stabalizer). I took it back and got the "oh we forgot to tell you, and all the boots are ordered" Went back two days later when I was told they would be in, and was told by the service manager that they were replacing the inner tie rod ends w/ toyta parts, but that the other boots were already torn, the other NEW boots on the NEW parts. Turn out that the use a pnumatic pickle fork to seperate the joints. I looked closely at the boots and every one had identically paralel cut marks. After raising hell at the service manager who just kept saying that "the technician wouldn't lie" I was told to come back when the manager would be in.

So yesterday I get a call that everything is ordered, new inner tie rod ends, new pitman arm, new idler pully, and new steering stabilizer.

On a good note, the alignment is nice.

It just takes one situation like this to make me remember why I work on my own cars.

BTW this was Jim Hudson Toyota in Columbia, SC.

Anthony
Old 11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HELP!!!

My '93 4Runner is at Scott Clark Toyota in Charlotte, NC for this recall. After having the truck for 6 hrs they just called and said it need new tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm. (I had been previously told the idler and pitman were bad). I know they need to be replaced, they are saying ~$600, and can't do the recall work until the other is done.

Bascially, I'm out of town and they are holding the truck hostage.

I see some of you got the tie rods done under the recall. Do you have any documentation of how this was done? If they were to pick that up, I think the bill would be reasonable for having a new front end...

HELP!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the dealer i took mine to said i needed a idler arm... i told them to do the recall anyway i would deal with the idler arm.

You should be able to do the same thing, and tell them not to worry about the alignment youll bring it back when you have the other stuff fixed.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I have a 560 mile ride before I could do the other stuff. Fortunately, 4Hummer posted the actual service notification. They have to remove and replace all these things anyways - I'm hoping to argue that all that labor is included in the recall and just pay (the admittedly high price) for the parts... I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone else can provide additional ammo in the next few hours, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Very normal for Scott Clark Toy. Thats the way that they operate.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Well, I knew Town and Country was really bad from my previous truck, so that left Scott Clark...Any good luck with Toy dealers in the CLT area?

Quick Reply: Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s