Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the steering relay rod done today at Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria AZ. Not a bad experience... They gave me a print out noting a full alignment was done. I haven’t checked to see if anyone put a wrench to the camber/caster adjustment but, I’ll just assume they did what they said they did. Yes, I did get the call “your idler arm seems loose” and ‘we can fix it at a parts only cost of $187.’ But no high pressure. I did have them give me an estimate and I agreed to have them finish off my oil cooler gasket set R&R. $136.00 is pretty steep by my book. We are talking dealer rates however and quite frankly it was worth it for me to not screw with it. QuietGiant

Last edited by QuietGiant; 06-26-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
NRM
Contributing Member

i just got my letter today and called up boulder toyota which i have had unpleasant visits with before and they said they would definitely do an alignment afterwards. i'm sure they're gonna tell me my pitman and idler arms are dangerously worn and i need to have them both replaced for $700!! Its great that i'm just getting this letter now 9 months after the recall!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to read the ENTIRE thread - you have a lot of options and precedent in your favor thanks to Yotatech!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 AM

Here's my experience:
Champion Toyota, corpus Christi tx, '94 4runner 22re

took it in, they replaced the steering rod but couldn't align it because of "wheel bearings and frozen tie-rods". but they did put it on the rack, and it was pretty much in spec, for the most part. They didn't offer to replace the tie rod ends, and I didn't ask that day.

When I got the follow-up call from toyota a few days later, I let them know that I was a little disappointed that they couldn't do the alignment as outlined in the service bulletin, and that my research had turned up other dealers that were "going the extra mile" to take care of customers.

So, last night I got a call from the "customer satisfaction manager", or some such thing, from the local stealership. He said that he had gotten the feedback, and even though there wasn't an alignment prescribed with the recall, he would be happy to do it if I brought it in. So, I pretty much let him have it at that point. Very polite, but I told him that I had done extensive research on this before taking it in (thanks everyone!) and that the service bulliten I was looking at DID in fact prescribe an alignment, and that many dealerships were replacing whatever front-end components were needed as part of the recall in order to achieve that alignment, that they were "going the extra mile" to keep their customers SAFE and satisfied. To his credit, he only sputtered and hemmed and hawed for a brief moment before telling me that he was going to contact Toyota to get approval for the tierods, and he would contact me no later than Wednesday.

Nothing worse than an educated consumer! So, I'll update you guys on how it turns out when I know something more. Just wanted to say thanks for all the information, and collaborating to keep these guys honest!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Finally made an appointement to have the recall done and was hoping to leave without problems but here it goes..

Brought it in, they replaced the relay rod same day. I went in to pick it up and asked the service rep. if an alignment had been done. He tells me no, its not part of the campaign.

Go home, print out the .pdf file bring it over and show him that they had to check and adjust the alignment.

Now he tells me that they brought the truck for a ride to see if it was pulling to either side, he said it wasn't so no alignment needed.

Is this considered checking the alignment?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 AM

Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s

I just called and mine is covered. 1994 4runner 3.0, automatic, power steering.
They said they have to replace some parts but need to look at the vehicle first to be sure of what to order. Then when the parts come in they replace them and do a full alignment.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM

When I took my runner for an oil change, the dealership ( Powell Watson of Laredo )advised me of the recall and two weeks later my steering relay rod was replaced and alignment was done.

No issues.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aetsen
Finally made an appointement to have the recall done and was hoping to leave without problems but here it goes..

Brought it in, they replaced the relay rod same day. I went in to pick it up and asked the service rep. if an alignment had been done. He tells me no, its not part of the campaign.

Go home, print out the .pdf file bring it over and show him that they had to check and adjust the alignment.

Now he tells me that they brought the truck for a ride to see if it was pulling to either side, he said it wasn't so no alignment needed.

Is this considered checking the alignment?
No it is not. The rack is the only true way to tell.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scrid
I just called and mine is covered. 1994 4runner 3.0, automatic, power steering.
They said they have to replace some parts but need to look at the vehicle first to be sure of what to order. Then when the parts come in they replace them and do a full alignment.
Most people here have not had to replace any additional parts doing this. Sounds like they might be setting you up.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul H.
Most people here have not had to replace any additional parts doing this. Sounds like they might be setting you up.
Maybe not most, but more than a few have had to have either tie rods, pitman, and/or idler arms replaced. If they're porposing that they are going to replace any of these items under the recall (as they did for me), GO FOR IT!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Sounds like they're trying to make some green off of this. I just had it done this week and they called asking to do $1000 worth of work.

$300 for a new idler arm or they wouldn't be able to do the alignment. I passed. I have lifetime alignment with Firestone and they don't have a problem with it. pfft.

The rest was wanting to do front and rear brakes. Had the nerve to put 50% wear on the rears and then recommend full replacement because they saw some rust. As if. The guy sounded so disappointed when I said I'd take care of the brakes.

P.S. The irony is that none of this was a problem 6000 miles ago when they sold it to me.

Last edited by Down2TheC; 07-27-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM

Walnut Creek Toyota

Well I dropped my 95 Runner off today with the dealer. It was one of the hardest things Ive had to do to er... Just got a call from the supervisor(which made me nervous) telling me they were just finishing up the alignment and it will be ready in about 30 minutes. Im crossing my fingers cause that would be amazing. Nothing good like this ever happens to me, things just dont go that smooth.

here are the specs on my rig and where I went...
95 Runner 4x4
Procome Stage II Lift with 33" MT's(They said the lift was NO PROBLEM)
The Dealer was Walnut Creek Toyota in Walnut Creek, CA. Ive heard good things about this dealer and so far, what Ive heard is true.

That is my experience so far. Will post when I get er back on how she handles after their alignment.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Update

Alright, just got the runner back. Everything went smooth. Got a new "relay rod" and new hardware. Alignment feels about as good as it did before. I even got a handshake and they drove my truck right up to me while I waited. Pretty darn good service if you ask me.

Just wait till I actually need something that costs money from the dealership, I probably wont have the same attitude.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 AM

I received my recall card about 5 months ago on my 95 4runner for this problem..
Old 08-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Get it done, just beware they will look over evrything and try and get some $$ from you. If you are going to do a lift or front end work to it before you take to them..
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 PM

Mine goes in Thurdsday morning. I took it in today and they said they have the relay rod but I also need two tie-rods so they are gonna have them by Thurdsay. All free of charge as they assured me.

UPDATE:
Mines done. Looks like they replaced the relay rod, both interconnector links, all tie and ball joints, and the steering damper shock, and a full alignment ...which it looks like i needed from the before and after sheets they gave me.
Not bad service, I can't complain. Especially for free.
http://members.cox.net/cmarescalco/sus/01.JPG
http://members.cox.net/cmarescalco/sus/02.JPG
http://members.cox.net/cmarescalco/sus/03.JPG
http://members.cox.net/cmarescalco/sus/04.JPG

Last edited by scrid; 08-15-2006 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 08-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recall done, no problems.

Read through all the comments. Lucky for me our dealer is one of the best I have ever used. I had my recall done in June. No problems with the work, and a print-out for the alignment without asking. Complete satisfaction. They are open late for service and parts, and know their stuff. Their prices are reasonable. I've been with them for over 17 years, and am very satisfied with rates and quality of service. I do most of the maintenance on our three
Toyotas. When I can't they get the business. Add Resseler to the list of good dealers to take work to.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi. I got the recall for my 95 4x4 3.0 auto in canada. They found me because I had registered on the Toyota websight with my VIN.
Even if you have a used vehicle 10 times removed from the original owner you can still register and get the recall notices. Funny I also got one for a brake line on my 94 jetta thats heading to the junkyard soon, should take it in and get them to do the work and never pick it up!
I called to see if I could get the part from Toyota and install myself since its not on the road and they said NO.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Got mine done today while I'm on vacation. Everything went well, didn't get any extra parts though. I was armed with all the info but there was no dreaded call for $ out of my pocket. I took it to Toyota of Cerritos (CA). They have a brand new service facility and really went out of their way to do things right.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:47 PM

made the appointment today ..its going in on thursday. they said there gonna order the part including tierods (if they can get mine off) i guess ill have to check bearings and ball joints so they dont say "hey you need a new flux capacitor

Quick Reply: Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s