Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spare Tire Theft A Consistent Crime In Metro Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare Tire Theft A Consistent Crime In Metro Area

"Thieves are targeting the spare tires that are on the backs of SUVs and under pickup trucks. The wheels are easy to steal because it takes only seconds to get them off a car, and the thieves can sell them fairly easily."
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/08/1...in-metro-area/

Saw this article today, and just a friendly reminder that it makes sense to spend $30 to protect your tires... $18 on wheel locks and $12 on spare tire lock.

I personally have this cable lock on my spare:
Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock (Round Key) 36" x 12mm : Amazon.com : Automotive Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock (Round Key) 36" x 12mm : Amazon.com : Automotive
-With this I did get some spray silicone to lube the mechanism and then once silicone had fully dried taped from the cable to over the key cover cap in electrical tape (leaving it on for a couple months, the lock got a little difficult to remove and when facing down on our tires dirt gets in the backside locking mechanism where there's nothing to keep it out...). I also looped the cable through holes in the frame so that little to no of the cable was able to pulled through spare tire rim to cut (also, slightly spun the tire once nearly fully raised to tighten a little further) -- currently either the hardened lock or hardened steel shackle would have to be cut...

You can also fit a small lock on the standard spare tire carrier bracket (have to be a lock w/ a shackle of 1/2 the width of your standard masterlock however to fit the hole on that bracket, and/or the thieves could lower and unbolt the tire lift and/or cut the thin lift chain), put a standard masterlock through the chain to keep it from raising/lowering, or possibly use something like this on the side opposite the bracket side that you can put a lock on (should hold the bracket it in place/keep it from spinning but again all the issues with thin lock where it can be lowered and removed by other means):
Amazon.com: Bolt Lock BLT5922785 Spare Tire Lock for Jeep: Automotive Amazon.com: Bolt Lock BLT5922785 Spare Tire Lock for Jeep: Automotive
That's why I like the cable. Pretty durable/strong and keeps the tire from being lowered/access to tire lowering mechanism.

And I also have these lug nut locks on my tires (the OEM lug nuts for the alloy wheel are black and these are silver, but it doesn't bother me...) -- I have the alloy rims which use the Toyota rims, not sure if stock use acorns or these... So check yours before ordering:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 73631T Toyota O.E. Wheel Locks With Washer (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 73631T Toyota O.E. Wheel Locks With Washer (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive

Last edited by RSR; 08-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.