Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spare Tire Fun (New Mount and/or Replacement Winder Crank)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spare Tire Fun (New Mount and/or Replacement Winder Crank)

Normal bit first: the spare holder on my 1989 Pickup Deluxe is almost nothing but rust. As in: bits flake off when I try to turn the knob.

A while back, I was cleaning out the mess in the back of the cab that was stuff from my old sedan (sold it when it started dying while moving house) and the accumulation of tools and stuff from a bunch of previous cars. This included three or four jacks (I used to be lethal to cars and the jacks wound up in the boxes/container/whatever I was using to clear them out), a couple of factory lug wrenches, and a couple of 4-way lug wrenches. Some of you may have already figured out what I think I did. Here's the stupid bit: I think I managed to get rid of the lug wrench/winder crank for my spare tire lift.

The end result is that I may need to replace that thing. Replacing it depends on the next part. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cut the holder to get the spare down, so I'm going to need a reasonably secure mount for the spare. I don't have a boatload to spend on it.

Any suggestions on mounting? Should I find a replacement for the factory mount (and crank handle), or is there an inexpensive, secure mount?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
the crank unit can be removed. there are three bolts to remove. they are accessed above the unit. space is tight. believe the bolts are 14mm, but could be 12mm.

i took mine apart, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. works well now.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Living in the Great north East USA I have never Had one of these that ever worked .

The Sunny South is a whole different story.

My Pick up the spare rides in the bed strapped to the rear window protector .

In the 4Runner it rides in the back held in place with a ratchet strap.

In these locations I don`t need to crawl under the vehicle to check the air pressure.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Good news: I need to check the fluid levels in my brain - the factory tire change tools were in the other side... Y'know the one where the factory puts them?

Prior to moving to Indiana a year ago, it lived in Virginia, so it's never been outside the Salt Belt as far as I know.

Once I get some dry driveway to crawl around on, I'll see about getting wrench up there and take it off.

Once it's off, until it's cleaned up, I'm thinking I might chain it to one of the corner tie downs in the bed (for security), and cargo strap it against some wood (so it stays in place and doesn't block the lockbox lid).

I'm ok with it in the bed, but I don't trust people to not walk off with it. Need to get the money for a tonneau (and make it all lockable). Yeah... I sound paranoid, don't I?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 AM

I got some PB Blaster all over it before I went out of town this past weekend. Got back before dawn yesterday and wasn't up for doing anything, so I'm waiting for dry driveway again (also need to get the rental out of the way so I don't bang it up with the crank). I've been watching it pour rain off and on all morning (rain, mid-December, mid-west?! WHAT?!).

I tried to take it off before I left, but couldn't get a wrench to match (can't see, and there's so much rust on it that it doesn't seem to be a 'normal' size anymore).
Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 AM

Tried lowering the spare again after letting it sit with PB Blaster on it.

The little square hole in the winder handle is now a little round hole; it's stuck well enough that when I put some pressure on it, I heard a creaking crunching sound, the handle shifted. So, I try turning it some more (thought I had gotten it to move), and it goes a little too easy. Now, I can slide the crank handle up the rod. So, off to the classifieds.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM

cut it off and replace. i completely removed both mine. not worth it. both mine have them mounted in the bed. so much easier.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 AM

Finally got around to doing something on this.

I bought an in-bed mount (http://ggandg.net/sparemount). I had to cut about 1.5" off the bottom to get it to fit.

The lock is trailer/hitch combination lock; the pin that goes through the retaining bolt is supposed to go through the hitch and receiver with the cable going out to the trailer and back. It goes around the wheel a couple times (through the centre hole), behind the mount, and through one of the tie-downs.

I highlighted the edges because it's a black bar in the bed of a black truck.

I wound up cutting the lift chain with the reciprocating saw. I need to get the lift removed, clean up the wheel for the spare, and find a good cover; but, I can now access the spare (which has air in it! it was sitting about 10-15 psi when I pulled it out from under).