Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sound-Proofing/Deadening & Interior Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
RAD4Runner: The PO did a good job cutting and wrapping that board with carpet but I'm not sure what he was trying to achieve. Maybe he intended to build drawers under it and never finished the project.

Big Lots has a roll of gray anti fatigue mat that is 46" x 93" for $20. It has a diamond tread design to it. I assume that's what you are going to use? I've been hoping someone would do something creative with that stuff.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
RAD4Runner: The PO did a good job cutting and wrapping that board with carpet but I'm not sure what he was trying to achieve. Maybe he intended to build drawers under it and never finished the project.

Big Lots has a roll of gray anti fatigue mat that is 46" x 93" for $20. It has a diamond tread design to it. I assume that's what you are going to use? I've been hoping someone would do something creative with that stuff.
or maybe he slept on it so he put it there so he wouldn't feel the humps and would have some insulation between the metal.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice work gentlemen! I have had so many ideas for my own 4Runner, that I haven't gotten around to the less expensive solutions. I was originally considering Rhino Lining on the bed portion (looks nice!). Will you cover the Fatmat with rubber or other carpeting?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Virgin Deck (except from sand from carpet liner):

That's quite the, uh...spare tire carrier...you have going on there
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
That's quite the, uh...spare tire carrier...you have going on there
RobD
LOL!
Because After-market bumper made/installed by 4 Wheel Drive Specialties in Concord, CA SUCK big-time! Blocks access to spare tire lift mechanism. I had to un-mount mechanism to get to my spare tire. That's what happens when after-market equipment makers do not think things out thoroughly. I'm on the market for swing-out spare tire rack/bumper combo.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
CBI Bumpers, brudda... GOTTA be one of the nicest Rear bumpers w/carrier that I've seen. You can buy it 'pre-assembled' or in pieces... From what I understand, shipping kinda kills ya on that one though... So more just order it in pieces and weld it up or have someone do it... and end up saving money even still having someone put it together. I'm SERIOUSLY considering a 'mutation' of that... Kinda Half Tube and half box tube and plate.... Got someone to help me and I can't wait............... til I can afford all the material! hahaha

Looking great, RAD! Let's do this! I'm very excited to turn the rear of the rig into a well insulated, sound proof, cold/hot weather helping and Expedition Friendly "Utilitarian, Yet COMFY Cadillac'ish 4WD!" hahaha.

Excited to see what's next man
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by reedrj
Will you cover the Fatmat with rubber or other carpeting?
Yes, reedrj, On top of Peel & Seal I'll lay silver-grey closed-cell foam anti-fatigue mat ($18 @ Big Lots), then with same board as door and rear seat panels covered/wrapped with rubber/tarp material. That combo should provide better sound proofing than original MDF on bare metal bed.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
....well insulated, sound proof, cold/hot weather helping and Expedition Friendly "Utilitarian, yet COMFY...
Yep!

Cadillac'ish
No; I've already started to remove the chrome trims - LOL!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Hey Bud..... Stuff will be 'in route' tomorrow
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Shopping for Rubber Floor Material

Hey Bud..... Stuff will be 'in route' tomorrow
Chef,
Thanks a lot! really appreciate that!

Guys,
Now I'm sure I will not put carpet back. So on cabin floor, it will be (bottom to top):
  • Additional sound deadening (P&S)
  • Ensolite sound-proofing (RAAMMAT)
  • Closed-cell foam (from Big Lots) padding for "carpet"
  • Rubber floor, instead of carpet.
For echo reduction, I will still use original carpeted floor mats.

Now shopping for rubber floor material similar to Honda Element's entire FLOOR, not floor mat. Searches only show floor "mats" Have you guys any idea where to get it? Local to So Cal would be nice.

What to do with original carpet? I'll cut closed cell foam to size of deck plus folded seat area, wrap that with washed & good-smelling original carpet, secure it under the ceiling with of roll-bar & other straps (bungie cords), carpet side down. Now that's additional wind noise-proofing AND sleeping pad for when camping in deck.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-12-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM

I started looking, yesterday, after speaking with ya.... I think I saw a huge selection of Rubber "TO FIT" pieces in EBAY.... I'll try to find the store again.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Weather-...&forceRpt=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WeatherTech-...e40726&vxp=mtr

I've also seen LARGE mats of Rubber at BigLots... You'd have to cut, but you could do it cleanly and we'd never know... It's not SUPER THICK like Weathertech, or the other, but it's SOLID stuff and would probably suffice considering all the underlayers you're installing? I've thought about it.... They also have sheets of stuff at Home Depot for Kitchens, etc.... might work there, too, ya know?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Love these, too.... PRICEY, but WOW, very nice>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WeatherTech-...fa2aa0&vxp=mtr
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM

P&S on bare Metal or Painted Metal?

On Terry's thread...
WOW, ... you ARE Crazy after all!
Yes, crazy indeed with lots of patience!
Terry & guys, got a quick question for you bodywork experts.
Brake fluid from clutch master cylinder stripped paint so corner below clutch, next to kick panel had some rust.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  111.7 KB

I wheel brushed it and only have tiny pits (dimples) with little rust left. I plan to use
Permatex rust treatment Permatex rust treatment
. After treatment, I need to apply Peel & Seal for sound deadening.
Tar is also rust preventive (oily & seals air out). Do you think I should prime and paint that corner or shall I simply clean thoroughly and put P&S directly on bare metal?
TIA,
Ray

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM

How Did Peel And Seal Withstand Firewall Heat?

Hi guys,
If you've used Peel & Seal on your firewall how did it hold up to the heat? I'm concerned that it would melt form the heat, especially since I plan to put thermal insulation on top of it that would trap more heat against the PnS.
TIA,
RAD
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Wish I had more to add on this........ I personally peeled my brake fluid eaten floor panel down to metal, Rustoleum Primered and then Rustoleum Ford Red Painted the floor. You literally CAN NOT TELL it's been done. I'll take pics when I do the fuse block work. (THANKS ON THAT, BTW, RAD, ... YOU ROCK in the E-E STATUS DEPT.! HAHAHA. HOOAH! )
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 PM

Hey Buddy, ....

Just thought I'd share a lil reading. I'm sure you've done PLENTY, .. but wtheck, right? hahaha.>>>

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Was reading the comments on this... and realized... I didn't know FAT MAT is tar, not Butyl...... Rattletrap isn't.... But isn't Rattle Trap made by FATMAT???? HAHAHAH... >>>

Amazon Amazon

I AM NOT dogging the P&S, buddy... just learning about this stuff JUST BARELY, lol. So I have NO clue as to whether people have had issues with smell/heat slippage, etc. Hope you get all the info you need. Depending on which route I go with the sub... I'm REALLY considering doing something like this stuff, just the last link, in the panels. It says 81Mil... compared to FATMAT which is 51Mil... WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? lol.... Obviously, they don't mean it's 81 Millimeters thick, lol... I just need a lil schooling. I guess Dynamat is the thicker one out there, ... from what it looks like. Problem is, I only have 1 10"... Not like I need TONS of this stuff, right? hahaha.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't put peel and seal on the firewall..

but I did put in the rear cargo agea, and the tar seemed to have melted in the hot sun and ran a bit
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM

...I'm sure you've done PLENTY...http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Was reading the comments on this... and realized... I didn't know FAT MAT is tar, not Butyl...... Rattletrap isn't.... But isn't Rattle Trap made by FATMAT???? HAHAHAH... >>>
Yep did my research.
  • Mixed reviews,
  • Asked for RAAMMAT M.S.D.S. but no response. Therefore, who knows what material it is?
  • B-Quiet M.S.D.S. also mentions Bitumen=Asphalt/Tar
  • P&S M.S.D.S. does not claim any health hazard, only skin irritation when handling. Heck, I bushwhack through leech-infested, overgrown rainforest where spider-web looking plants are actually thorny vines, sleep on rock/dirt/snow... what's a little skin irritation- LOL!
  • Many are over-priced
  • I did not want to spend more than 5% what I paid for truck on sound-proofing
  • A little bit of sound-proofing is better than absolutely nothing
  • I'll layer a solid sheet of Ensolite closed-cell foam on top of P&S so that will seal off any smell.

Verdict: P&S it is however, I'll consider real butyl rubber for the firewall/footwell. Bare metal of that surface gets really hot.

http://www.amazon.com/Rattle-Trap-Fa...=pd_sbs_auto_1
I'm REALLY considering doing something like this stuff, just the last link, in the panels. It says 81Mil... compared to FATMAT which is 51Mil... they don't mean it's 81 Millimeters thick, lol...
81 mills is a good thickness! LOL! 1 mil is 1000th of an inch, so 80 mils is 0.08 inch- Somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8"
Then again, not sure how it would work with subwoofer.

Originally Posted by Outsane
I didn't put peel and seal on the firewall..
Thanks, Outsane.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-18-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I believe a couple reasons sound proofing stuff made for autos is different from P&S is the adhesion stuff and thickness. If you stick it on vertical or upside down surfaces it's suppose to stick better than the roofing material. I suspect the EDIT: Asphalt/Tar is probably treated/made/prepared (whatever) in a way to reduce the odor knowing it's going inside a vehicle and not on top of a roof....just my pure speculation. I do remember reading something though....hahhaha...I think less of something and more rubber, blah blah blah

Also, dynamat sells an aluminum tape to secure the edges/seams so the butyl doesn't leak out or something and to reduce any vapors/odors. I was going to do that if it smelt, but I have no smell , only during install did I notice. I'm sure some people's noses are more sensitive than others, have less tolerance levels than others, or allergies, etc.... Also, was going to use regular aluminum tape from HomeDepot if I was going to do that.

So overall suggestion, is if you use P&S then consider using some aluminum tape to cover the edges/seams....you're already at the store anyhow so take a look at the stuff.

HomeDepot Stuff

I remember reading this off of Second Skin (Too expensive for me)

"What makes your automotive sound deadening mat Damplifier, different from asphalt roofing products or sound deadeners that come rolled up?
We only produce automotive sound damping mats that are designed for cars. Unlike roofing tapes, or other products that come on rolls, our automotive sound deadeners mats use only butyl binders with no asphalt filler. Our vibration dampers are odorless, non toxic & designed by expert adhesive formulators to reduce automotive noise and vibrations, not by roofing tape companies.

The foil on our CLD damping mat Damplifier is more than 3 times as thick than that of most roofing products and it will never melt off and cause you any headache."

Last edited by Grego92; 10-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I just did some google searches on this... Fatmat sucks! No, Fatmat is great! Dyanmat Sucks! Dynamat is Great! P&S is Great! No, P&S sucks! Second Skin beats them all!! No, B-Quiet beats the whole world!!! Screw you! NO Screw YOU!

Quick Reply: Sound-Proofing/Deadening & Interior Work