Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Something grounding out when hot?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something grounding out when hot?

Here's the run down:
1990 4Runner, 3vze, 215k, rebuilt the engine about a year ago. At some point in the last two months, I've developed a bit of a starting issue. First thing in the morning, she starts right up beautifully. Once I drive it for more than 10 minutes and turn it off though, it won't start again until it's sat for about two hours or so. I'm talking no clicking, no cranking, no nothing when I turn the key to start it. The dash lights up and my stereo comes on, so I've got power, but other than that, nothing. I'm thinking that this is a heat related problem. Something, somewhere in that mess of vacuum hoses and wiring that they call the 3vze isn't functioning properly when it gets warm. At first I thought it was just the starter starting to go out so I replaced it. Needless to say, when I was out $70 and the problem was still there, I was a little pissed. I guess that's my fault for not busting out my multi-meter and trying to test resistances. So, if anyone has had a similar problem and knows what's wrong off the top of their head, or could maybe narrow it down a little bit, I'm all ears. My battery, alternator, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are all relatively new and I don't think it's the igniter since I always get fast and smooth cold start ups. Maybe the starter's just overheating for some reason? A wire somewhere getting too hot? I'm totally at a loss here.

Anything you can think of would seriously help me out.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

This is one of those things Break out the Multimeter!!!

Have you tried anything at all to start it in this dead condition ??

Jumping etc??

I would look at the Ground cables if your just looking at them and saying good enough that could be a problem.

The battery terminals clean and look to see if they are cracked.

You don`t say if this is a manual or automatic but check the clutch start switch and the starter relay or if automatic the neutral safety switch could be a culprit of you get nothing .

That should get you started
Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 PM

It might be the ignition switch. I had the same problem and built a new switch running straight from my battery to my starter and I just turn my key on and use the button. When warm for some reason my ignition doesn't work to start my truck but the button works flawless.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Forgot to mention the brand new ignition switch. I'm thinking it's somewhere between the plug for the switch and where it meets the rest of the harness. Somewhere in that rats nest... FML...

Wyoming9: The battery terminals are good, nice and clean and on there tight. It's not that I have a loss of power when I go to start it, like I said, it starts cold every time. It's an automatic, and I've fiddled with putting it in neutral, rolling it a ways, putting it back in park and then trying again, all to no avail. The neutral safety switch was my very first assumption since it had all the characteristics of trying to start the truck while not in park. So yeah, I'm sort of at a loss. I'm going to try to test some resistances tomorrow morning when the suns up. As far as my major grounds, they're all nice and tight, no burn marks or fraying anywhere on them. My plan is to test my voltage at the starter from the battery on a cold start, drive it around for a while, and test it again when it won't start, then work my way back from there. This is going to be the death of me...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
What kind of starter did you use? Ive had very poor luck indeed with aftermarket starters and wont use them on anything anymore...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It may be the neutral switch is out of adjustment or bad. A friend of mine had two 86 4x4 automatics and both had start problems. One truck had to have push button to start it all the time ,and the other the push button was only needed every now and then.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM

ok im having a simular problem
i have a 1993 sr5 3.0 4x4 5speed with 173k
it starts up fine runs fine for couple day then randomly will loss all power and shut off when i go to restart it it turns over then dies imitialy that only when i recycle the key if i dont recycle the key it will just crank and crank with no start.
after letting the truck sit for couple hours it will start right up and run fine for a couple days.
well i decided to take it to my votech have my teachers look at it.
well we thought it was the fuel pump 400 bucks later still having the same problem so itake it back to my votech and it comes up code 14
so my tech teacher has a spare igniter module he letsme borrow i run it for a week no problems so i buy a new one 300 bucks more
runs for about 120 miles then does it again
im dumbfounded on what it could be ive been searching for hours on here to find the problem and still nothing.
if anyone know please help me im beyond desprete right now
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your truck quits by itself??

Not from shutting the truck off.

Then trying to restart and Nothing ?

Does it just quit dead like you turned the key to off?? A no spark problem!!

Or does it slowly die like the fuel was turned off Fuel filter / pump electrical issue

I am finding these Clutch safety switches to be a real pain also look real hard at your ground cables
Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 AM

yeah the truck will shut itself off likes its hitting a fuel cut but i just replaced the fuel pump and filter and igniter module so im dumbfounded on what else could be the problem