Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

someone who has a TBS on a 2 gen tell me..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
someone who has a TBS on a 2 gen tell me..

if it really did give you a horsepower jump, i know i know, people saw they suck, but i wanna here from someone who has one, ive read some previous posts but could not find what i wanted
the link=
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...1995&partid=22

also does this look like a true cold air intake, ive seen and heard that most dont do anything, but, i think this one looks promising

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...1995&partid=15
Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your first link is a spacer for a 3.4L. I don't think it will fit your 3.0. As for you second link, the price of that thing is ridiculous. You'll get the same performance gain by doing the ISR mod and drilling out your airbox, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
SR5

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Your first link is a spacer for a 3.4L. I don't think it will fit your 3.0. As for you second link, the price of that thing is ridiculous. You'll get the same performance gain by doing the ISR mod and drilling out your airbox, at a fraction of the cost.
not sure how i messed that up, sorry guys

i already have the deckmod and i was looking for more, i just need like a extra 30-40hp i i WAS planing on doing a cold air, high flow headers and a full exhaust, and TBS and with a little blind luck get the 30 something hp i needed,
do you have any segestinos?
oh whats is the ISR mod?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM

I put a K&N on my rig before finding this site. I really dislike having the cleaning issue with the MAF. It seems it doesn't matter how little oil I use, I still throw a code after a cleaning the filter. I dont know what other "Kit" option there is that won't do that. I got my setup at cost, and that's the only thing I liked about it. A friend at 4X4 shop is nice.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
i just need like a extra 30-40hp
Headers and a cold air intake w/tsb will yield you about 10 hp (if you're lucky).

If you are serious about adding 30-40 hp, you are going to have to have your heads ported and polished w/ oversized valves put in. And your cams reground (Search weasy2k). That with headers, might get you 30-40hp.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
I really dislike having the cleaning issue with the MAF.
He doesn't have a MAF. The VAFM on the 3.0 engine does not have issues with the oil used on K&N filters.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 PM
SR5

[QUOTE=ChickenLover;50546033]Headers and a cold air intake w/tsb will yield you about 10 hp (if you're lucky).

is this your guess or has this been proven
i only ask because i wana make sure before i do ANYTHING i have the facts
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM

dyno proven, no. But lots of guys have headers, exhaust and some form of modified intake, and arn't seeing 30hp from it.

As for the TBS, think about how it works for a second:
A TBS is used to increase the distance from the Throttle Body to the intake manifold(or in this case the intake plenum). This allows more time for the air and fuel to mix, right? Well, if you have a carburetor or Throttle Body injection(neither of which the 3.0 has), it is a good idea.

The 3.0 has multi-port injection, which means that the fuel is sprayed "almost" right into the cylinders(mabey 2" away). The Throttle body is a good foot before the injectors. So all adding a TBS does is increase the distance the air has to travel from the TB to the injectors. It doesn't allow anymore time/distance for mixing.

It's a waste of money, and if you get one and think it has positive result, you need your head examined.

Do A LOT more searching on these forums and you will find all about the options you have for the 3.slow. The basic consensus will be that if you want 3-40hp more, swap in a 3.4L.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
dyno proven, no. But lots of guys have headers, exhaust and some form of modified intake, and arn't seeing 30hp from it.

As for the TBS, think about how it works for a second:
A TBS is used to increase the distance from the Throttle Body to the intake manifold(or in this case the intake plenum). This allows more time for the air and fuel to mix, right? Well, if you have a carburetor or Throttle Body injection(neither of which the 3.0 has), it is a good idea.

The 3.0 has multi-port injection, which means that the fuel is sprayed "almost" right into the cylinders(mabey 2" away). The Throttle body is a good foot before the injectors. So all adding a TBS does is increase the distance the air has to travel from the TB to the injectors. It doesn't allow anymore time/distance for mixing.

It's a waste of money, and if you get one and think it has positive result, you need your head examined.

Do A LOT more searching on these forums and you will find all about the options you have for the 3.slow. The basic consensus will be that if you want 3-40hp more, swap in a 3.4L.

What he said!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you figure that a TBS is going to do anything for the vehicle, even if you find one for the 3.0L ??

Fred
Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 PM
SR5

i never thought about but ya that makes sense
thanx bill
Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Lightbulb

Options, one of the easiest(?), and most reliable way, provided you're willing to trust your head gasket to last, would be some sort of forced induction.

Laugh if you like, but we decided to try the "Saw it on YouTube" grass blower idea, and well, it actually worked!! Yeah we dyno'd it, fun things to do when visiting a friends shop.

So, a turbo would probably be a decent thought. I have yet to personally see anyone turbo the 3.0 4runner, and not sure how much would be involved given the amount of space available.

That being said, even easier than this line of reasoning would be a "Duh, 3.4!!"

Plenty have done it, all with pleasing success, availability of supporting parts to do so, etc-etc.

Ok, off my soapbox for now.

(here's where a strange guy walks past and whispers "Wanna laugh, this is a gas..."-Link*).

*only for up through '92.

Wet & Dry System, Kit produces from 40 to 75(Dry System) or 50 to 150(Wet System) Extra HP

~Here's some info to check out too.

http://www.supracharged.com/forum/

http://www.rsworld.com/~nicksb/

Here's Ricks, form Pirate also, great and knowledgeable guy...
http://www.supracharged.com/forum/vi...hlight=4runner

A few guys have done 4Runners.

Last edited by Four Runner; 06-08-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Talking

Just found the kit for mine!!-Link.

Not To Be Used On Pollution Controlled Vehicles/ 4cyl 2.4l
Crud... Oh well, one can dream, or mod it to fit, then hide it all well!!

Last edited by Four Runner; 06-08-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

The TBS adjust the total plenuum runner length and tries to tune or increase velocity, It wouldnt help since the biggest air restriction is before the TB.