86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So I took my doors off...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I took my doors off...

...and it's like I'm driving a Lamborghini all of a sudden!! I have never seen so many people look at me while driving around on the road. Anyone else with no doors notice this? It's like because it's not a jeep and looks funny that all of a sudden I'm some sort of celebrity, which I'm not...or at least not yet. I like driving around with no doors, I'll sign autographs if I have to.

BTW, is cutting the pin and using a regular 8mm bolt the best way to install and remove the doors easier?

EDIT: Hinge pin mod. pics below!!

Last edited by ToyYoda; 06-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
JnJ

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I also have the top off (I have 1st gen 4Runner). I love driving around town, the kids riding in the back with their sunglasses on, radio blasting. I get tons of moms looking and pointing my truck out to other passengers in their cars. It's a lot of fun.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 AM

Yeah when I yanked mine off I got a bunch of stares as I drove down the road. Except that road lasted about 1mile until I got pulled over and was told to put them back on. I'd like to see someone try that with the pin.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
try doing it in a lifted '88 subaru station wagon

I can't wait to tool around town in my runner without the doors!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish it was legal to do that here
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM

I live in Texas and apparently it's not illegal to drive without the doors. We only need rear view mirrors too. I've driven past 2 cops already, they even stared like everyone else has but haven't gotten pulled over yet. I think I will eventually but so far so good.

I made quick disconnect doors last night. I'll post up the pics. of what I did. Although it's technically not perfect because I don't have any clips holding the pins in but I found that they stay in place without them because of the weight of the door and decided it would be easier to leave them off so I can pull the pins out faster.

Here are the pics.

Last edited by ToyYoda; 06-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 AM

were the pins hard to put back in when you were putting the doors back on? i took mine off today and cut the pins. i used some bolts to put them back on. they were a pain to put in and the top ones had to go in from the bottom
Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude im dign the roof rack, killer

no doors is cool but remember in most states MIRRORS (atleast one on the drivers side) is REQUIRED. You can get pulled over for no mirrors.. and also not related but things like no windshield wipers can get you a ticket to ha fyi

Jeep mirrors arent on the doors =)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 AM

anyone know where to get a solid quick disconnect for speaker wire if you got a speaker in the door a disconnect would be sweet but a decent one that wont break after awhile.

?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
anyone know where to get a solid quick disconnect for speaker wire if you got a speaker in the door a disconnect would be sweet but a decent one that wont break after awhile.

?
I would think that any bullet type (M/F) would work, especially the little red ones(for small gauge wire)...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by shugashaft
were the pins hard to put back in when you were putting the doors back on? i took mine off today and cut the pins. i used some bolts to put them back on. they were a pain to put in and the top ones had to go in from the bottom
They are easier for me to put back on than they are to take off actually. I'd think the threads might catch if they go in at an angle and make it a little harder to put the pins in. I got my pins from home depot. 8mm I think the are.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 PM

i love the roof rack i wish i had the money to get one for my truck.
no doors looks good
drew303 do you have to have mirrors in washington? i might jerry rig some thin up if you have to have them (weather permiting) lol cuz we both know how crapy its been
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i always start to get encouraged to take my doors off when i see threads like this but it seems its only people with first and second gens who do it, everyone with third and fourth gens just reaffirm my fears about rain ruining a still somewhat luxurious interior. not to mention i'd have to take EVERYTHING electronic out as living in atlanta i'd get stuff stolen right away. bah. i really want to do it
Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm surprised I get a lot of compliments on the roof rack. I bought the truck with it on there and almost took it off but a friend of mine told me I should leave it because it looked good and had a useful purpose, so I left it.

David, I just take the face plate off my CD player and have a $35 CB radio, the only thing I really worry about is someone ruining my interior somehow. I typically don't leave it with no doors for very long either and when I do, I just put the doors back on. I don't have power windows or locks so it's a breeze for me, however, I bet you could do some quick disconnects for the wiring somehow. I take my doors off when I can park it in the garage and know I won't have to leave my truck anywhere for very long. It's usually a weekend thing for me.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
so its pretty easy to do the doors with the quick mod you did? i might look into it...i could do that, do some quick disconnects for the wiring to my doors and make some quick disconnects for my cb radio and just take that junk out (stock headunit, so i dont think i'd bother). i might even go as far as to quickly take my rear speakers out too (theyre only held in with 1 screw...thats just the way they fit). luckily at my townhouse here off campus i actually have a garage...just need to make my roommate free it up. the worrying about someone messing with the interior, however, is still a valid point for us both.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 PM

It's illegal in washington to drive without atleast a drivers side mirror. I had a buddy take the doors off his '85 and got a ticket the first day. Dont remember how much $ it was this was 2 years ago

FYI

IF you can find a mirror that mounts on the A-pillars you'd be set.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 PM

i want to be able to take my doors with me in case it starts to rain or something. we need to come up with a rack or something that lays in the bed to hold um
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToyYoda
I live in Texas and apparently it's not illegal to drive without the doors. We only need rear view mirrors too. I've driven past 2 cops already, they even stared like everyone else has but haven't gotten pulled over yet. I think I will eventually but so far so good.

I made quick disconnect doors last night. I'll post up the pics. of what I did. Although it's technically not perfect because I don't have any clips holding the pins in but I found that they stay in place without them because of the weight of the door and decided it would be easier to leave them off so I can pull the pins out faster.

Here are the pics.

Did the same thing for my 82, it's a great, cheap way for some quick off doors.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 PM

well i got tempted and rided my pas. side door off to see what it would look like and i like it lol how do you get the pin in the hinge out saws all? lol and what grade pin do i need?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 PM

there was a thread on another board about the quick discos for electronics in the doors and someone mentioned a product from summit or another performance parts place. Basically its just some metal contacts that sit in the door and another set on the body of the truck so when the doors are closed they work and when the other set isn't present they don't. Sorry I don't remember the details but I just remembered it from a while ago

Quick Reply: So I took my doors off...