Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

*SNAP* Rear Axle sheared off at 45mph and tire went for a ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you need a new rear axle.

I broke my two clips getting them off my rear axles but I got new ones from the dealership for like $2. =) If the shop didnt have the right tools or jig to press the bearings on it's easy to not get them on all the way.

As for the full-floater conversion. It's expensive.

I just went with chromoly rears.

Also, you sure you didnt notice ANYTHING odd before the axle came out? With the excess runout on the that rear side you'd of felt pulsation in your brake peddle..
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveO
maybe the 4 bolts that attach the bearing to the houseing failed.......maybe..don't know.

edit: either way, I'm real interested to see and hear what the real failure was. Good lesson for us.

No, notice the dust shield is still ont eh axle housing.

Was bearing failure or or C-clip failure for sure.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
All my Dodges are full floating & I swore I would always use them when possible; I didn't know about the lack of a C-clip in these Toyota's....sounds like an engineer over thought the problem.
The axles DO have a C-clip.

edit.

The clip is at the end of the axle, not in the differential. You press the bearing on the axle far enough down to where a C-clip slids on into a groove that prevents the bearing from "un-pressing" itself. The only thing holding that axle onto the truck is the bearing on the axle and the bearing inside the bearing case which is held to the axle by 4 bolts. The clip keeps the axle from moving perpendicular to the bearing.

An very worn out bearing can cause axle run-out which can cause permanent warpage of the axle flange on OE axles. Which in turn wears out the OE differential. I can't imagine spline damage unless it got very severe but i dont think you'd be driving the vehicle at that point =p

Last edited by drew303; 04-16-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are parts of the bearing still in there.

If the axle housing is fubar, and it were to be replaced, even with cromoly axles, this COULD happen again. The ~$1000 to go FF and disc brakes from FROR + the other parts you need to supply seems pretty cheap by comparison.

I didn't feel anything terribly unusual, just the rear end dropped down and I looked to the left and saw the tire passing us - it took a while to pass us!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have a pic of this "C-clip" at the end of the axle? I'm curious to see it.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Lysmachia;50501980]You can see the splines are stripped.

Originally Posted by SteveO
Does anybody have a pic of this "C-clip" at the end of the axle? I'm curious to see it.
Here's the end of the axle ... I don't see a groove in it!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=tc;50502507]
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
You can see the splines are stripped.

Here's the end of the axle ... I don't see a groove in it!

I think they mean on the other end of the axle, where the bearing is.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pest
Just while we're on the same topic, is it possible for the front wheels to pop out like that? Or is that just a rear thing with the pressed in bearings?
The Toyota solid axles and pretaco trucks have FF fronts. The wheel is held on with tapered rolling bearings secured by a double spindle nut arrangement. As a matter of fact, how the FROR kit works is to mount SFA spindles on the rear with disc brakes off a Supra...

Tacomas and 3+ gen 'runners have a semifloating front. If you have one, you MUST carry at least the outer stub of a CV to hold the wheel on if the CV breaks.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 AM

now that's a sight to see. good job w/ getting pics up. geez that must have been one hell of a scare.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM

tc, thats the wrong side of the axle. I said theres no clip on the differential end.

Could happen again? This is the first time I've heard of it happening on a toyota.

No one has said if the wheel-bearing was replaced? It would make a heck of a lot more sense if it'd been tampered with because this happening on a factory job could mean something TOTALLY else. Failure of the bearing? C-clip?

Molly said it has a detroit, were the bearings replaced then? The c-clip and bearing have nothing to do with a locker install unless you're servicing the whole axle.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drew303
The axles DO have a C-clip.

edit.

The clip is at the end of the axle, not in the differential. You press the bearing on the axle far enough down to where a C-clip slids on into a groove that prevents the bearing from "un-pressing" itself. The only thing holding that axle onto the truck is the bearing on the axle and the bearing inside the bearing case which is held to the axle by 4 bolts. The clip keeps the axle from moving perpendicular to the bearing.
I'm used to GM & Chrysler rear ends, I've never had a Toyota apart. I read the page Mudhippy linked to in this thread & it was informative but sadly not Toyota specific (I'm slow, sue me) the C-clip I'm talking about is obviously not the same retainer you're talking about. A pressed on bearing that has the kind of C-clip I'm referring to would be useless as tits on a boar, it would need something spring loaded for tension...like an internal circlip or snap ring. Maybe I just can't picture how Toyota has their rears designed because I can't see how the C-clip I'm talking about would be of any use at all in conjunction with a pressed on bearing. I have a serious urge to go to the junkyard & tear one apart now.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Here is the pic your looking I think.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm, I don't know if that is the case for the 3rd gen 4Runners and Tacos. I'll have to check my manuals tonight when I get home for this type of clip.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM

I thought this was a 93 4runner that happened to and this was started about.
3rd gen. prolly is different don't know.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM

this is on my 3rd gen when i had to replace my bearing, now im scared and want to take my truck to toyota to have them double check everything!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM

sorry they arent the best pics of what you wanted, but its as close as i could get!

full thread here

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/replacing-rear-axle-seals-bearings-pics-110243/
Old 04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Yes, it's a '93, but I think the rear axle is the same. I didn't really look at mine close when I pulled them to do the ARB's, so I'm not sure, but wouldn't there have to be a groove or something in the axle shaft for it to hold to?

WTF is that gear thing in the pix above? ABS resolver?

To make a long post a little longer - I don't trust a press fit like I do a solid mechanical connection like a FF axle has.

Last edited by tc; 04-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM

there is a C clip that holds it together, and the bearing and restraining rings are are all pressed until they wont go any farther.

the gear thing is an abs exciter ring that they have to cut off (along with both reatainer rings 92$) in order to press the bearing on. the guy i took it to here in gainesville was referred by gatorland toyota, so hopefully he knew what he was doing!

to be honest with you, this was the first time i did this (bearings were replaced at 80k and i currently have 117k) and after seeing how it was set up, i dont know how much i trust it. dont even get me started on 4 tiny bolts holding my axle shaft to the axle housing thing... though i guess it has been fine for everybody else, so maybe i shouldnt worry abt it.

on a side note, both front axle seals are leaking so i need to find some info on how to replace those and get to that...

i love the smell of 75W/90

Last edited by RunnerUp; 04-16-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonzo
Here is the pic your looking I think.
If that is what you folks are referring to; that's not the C-clip that is being talked about (by me at least). That is a spring steel circlip or snap ring if you prefer. The C-clips I & others are talking about are not spring steel & do not require snap ring pliers to remove. I'm sure that's where the confusion is coming from, the Toyota has snap ring retainers, not C-clips. The C-clips we are referring to are named that because they look like a "C" it's not short for circlip.

Edit: thanks for the picture Gonzo!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM

brenjen your right, it is called a snap ring by toyota and most other people. guess i just followed the pack on that one...

Quick Reply: *SNAP* Rear Axle sheared off at 45mph and tire went for a ride!