Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

smitybilt pipe bar set - Any welders in the area? (Victorville, CA)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smitybilt pipe bar set - Any welders in the area? (Victorville, CA)

I got a full smitybilt pipe bar set today (front, back, sides) and for one reason or another, NOTHING will bolt up. Doner truck was a 87 4runner, and I have an 86.

Rear bumper = my truck has a body lift, and they welded brackets to the area where the bumper bolts on. In order to make this line up, the bumper bracket on the smity bilt has to be cut, and rewelded 1/2 an inch over. When I got the truck, it didn't have a bumper, when I bought a bumper for it, I had to slice n dice the brackets to make it bolt on. Basically it was a 'just get a bumper on, so the police stop following me'. Now that I got a real bumper, I wanna do it right.

Side bars = bolt on the crossmember to the frame just spins, no access holes to put a wrench on the nut. other bolts seem workable.

Front bumper = bottom half of the mounting bolts line up, top half have nothing to bolt to, only thing I can assume, is that the front changed a little from 86 to 87.

So anyone near me willing to weld this for me? I can bribe with beer, a front bumper, a reer bumper (my old chrome one), a dodge dakota brush guard, an electric winch, gasket set for a chevy 305/350, and im sure I ahve tons of other stuff laying arround, lol.

If not, anyone want a Smitybilt pipe bar set for an 87 4runner? lmfao.

Last edited by mnmontana; 11-01-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can't remember the name of the place or address, but on hwy 395, between main street, hesperia and the aquaduct, just south of the aquaduct, on the east side of the highway is a fabricator that I've worked with some years ago on some cell site work. he can fab just about anything you need. The man that runs the place is Bryan Mahoney (if I remember properly)... or maybe it was Maloney...?

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-01-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Tx for the recommendation, I did a google search, and couldnt find anything. Next time im on the 395 (like 2 miles from my house) I will check it out.

I figured I would try to get the side bars on myself, not that lucky...

Passenger side = 1 bolt came out perfectly fine (crossmember) the other bolt (also on crossmember) just spins inside the frame (no way to get a wrench on the nut on it)... Didnt try the shackle bolt since I couldnt get the front bolt off.

Drivers side = both crossmember bolts came off easily, but the rear shackle.... I cant seem to get it to budge... the nut came off smoothly with some pb blaster, but the bolt itself feels pinched. I tried lifting the frame, and dropping the axle, no luck... still just as pinched.... shattered my 15 pound weight trying to get the bolt to budge.

Im about 2 days from snapping and just selling it all on craigslist

Last edited by mnmontana; 11-03-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of wheeling do you do? If your into rocks and are hoping those smittybuilt side bars are going to protect your rockers your going to be disappointed.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade or anything but before you go putting more money into something that won't protect your truck, you might want to get real sliders.

If you just want them for the looks though, then forget what I said and sorry for not being any help on your original post.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:10 PM

I hate to be one of *those* people...

but the sides are 100% looks, I just love the way it looks with the side nerf bars...

Rear bumper = I currently have a tacoma bumper, and while it keeps the police from harrasing me.... it looks like crap, and I cant tow on it.

front bumper = I decided, even if I get everything else working... not gonna put it on. I already have the stock bumper on the front.

Update on the side bars: Drivers side shackle bolt... the nut is off, and i can just abrely budge the bolt itself... it appears to be completely stuck to the leaf springs, when I crank down on the bolt with my foot and a breaker bar, the leaf spring moves a tiny bit with the bolt, and when I let go, the bolt springs back to where it was originally. Ive done tons of leaf springs on camaros... never had this much trouble

Last edited by mnmontana; 11-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM

o damn, just noticed your location... thats the city/state im moving to in January.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM

If you find that shop, just a head's up: they can fab just about anything you want.

A few years ago they bobbed a dodge ram dually truck and converted the rear to air bags and trailing links (semi-truck style)... and used it to tow all sorts of things around.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM

OK, im done, wrecked my hand on the @#$@#% ()*$#%#$ %$^%#$^%$ $#%#$%#$% leaf spring bolt....

Anyone want to buy these off me? lol
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the smitty's too..pita...i know

but, with a bfDrill, and a sharp bit, you can at least put on the rear and sides.

i was told to drill the frame, but i just made brackets that got bolted through natural holes and dropped down into the side "nerf" bars.

the front, is another story..pita x3...and i got it.
i transferred them from a 86 to a 88, so i know its possible, (both trucks).

the front is made to bolt right up, but if anything is off (say after a few accident) its bfh time...i want to weld a few parts to improve the ones that are already on it, just to make em more stable, but i can tow my truck w/em now...

on the topic of smitty, is there anyplace to get the end caps, b/c i only have 2 left..they (6 of em) broke during random dings and crashes...(well worth the loss considering the body took no damage since they were installed)...

i can attest to 2 cars dying by the rear bumper in a parking lot (their fault) and no notes on my truck..(wtf..i did need new paint)

and my front license plate was smooshed around the tubes at my apt. one moring (again, no note) i had to remove the plate and step on it to get it flat again...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM

http://www.smittybilt.com/ I would try emailing them asking for the caps, a lot of companies like Dorman and Maremont were awesome to me... ask for a part number so I can buy it, they take down my name & address.... few days later the part is at my house free of charge.

I think a good chunk of my issue, is my truck has a salvage title, it looks like the front end got in a nasty wreck, and was replaced. While you couldnt tell it was in an accident from just looking at it, Theres tons of little hints all through out the truck. Front bumper had a dealership sticker on it (new part), a few pieces here and there in the IFS had those 'new part stickers', and the body had some interesting welding work for a body lift. Hood doesnt line up 100%, but again... you couldnt tell unless you were an inch from with a ruler

Last edited by mnmontana; 11-04-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks.
and about the wrecks...my 86 was totaled while the 88 has all original fenders.

and to confirm, the 86 came w/the smitty bumper, and it never sat square on the truck, the passenger side was at least an inch closer to the fender, while the drives side was pulled out .

couldnt tell from 10 feet, but like you said, up close, even w/out a ruler, i noticed a big difference (not to mention when bolt holes have to be exact)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Sweet. We have matching side bars!.