Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Smittybuilt 10k winch install 4 4

Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smittybuilt 10k winch install 4 4

So I got my winch today from Winch Depot(same company as 4wheelparts.com but $70 cheaper found out by calling both a doing the best price match and the guy I was talking to told me they are both owned by the same company but was surprised at how much cheaper they were then 4W.P. Winch Depot was shipped to my door $549 with a free cover, 4WP.com $619 + $19.99 for cover) I got the XRC Comp series with Synthetic rope instead of the cable which was $399 So here it go's

Here it is as it was dropped off by UPS (finally got a fast delivery from them 3 days from Fl.lol)

I was surprised to find it was double packaged in the cardboard so that was cool a little extra cushion

Then there was all the styrofoam to keep it safe and solid in the second box

After unpacking this is what you end up with

After following the excellent wiring diagram and wiring it up (the 8k I bought last year and a half ago they had no wiring diagrams guess they got a lot of calls about the wiring and decided it might be a good idea to add some lol)

Notice they tag the wires now as well.

So I went to test fit it in the winch plate and sure enough to tight to fit with out taking the bumper off or at least one side so I could get the extra 2-3" needed to drop it down into place.It is a very tight fit with all the a/c lines and the a/c cooling fan on the right side but she did fit down inside very nicely once she sat in place.Thank goodness my grill was already pre cut because that would have been a pain to do at the same time as the install well not really but at least a big inconvenince.

I could not get the control box to mount on the top of the barrel like they show (plus I will be able to put the cover now when not in use and yea it came in a box all by itself) because I need to cut a few inches of the grill still to fit under so here's what I came up with to hold it over .I also need to shave a 1/4 of the hawles lead thing to fit it under the bottom bar of the bumper so it will fit but it is getting dark out and I have to go do a few things so I will finish this tomorrow and for some reason the site keeps screwing up this thread removing pics and mixing words up so i guess this is a good place to stop for now.

OK I got back around 11:30 and decided to try and finish this up just so happened my friend had a grinder handy and I ground down the top of the Hawles lead so it fit under the tube bar so here it is installed not the best pics cause it was like 12:45 when I got finished but I can or will get a better picture of it in the daylight.

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-20-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks pretty good, I didn't even know you had a 2nd truck other than your IFS rig. The Smitty built winch looks pretty similar to the Warn winch. I wonder if they have the same pattern and would work behind my ARB bull bar... would you happen to know, because thats a pretty good deal you got
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
looks pretty good, I didn't even know you had a 2nd truck other than your IFS rig. The Smitty built winch looks pretty similar to the Warn winch. I wonder if they have the same pattern and would work behind my ARB bull bar... would you happen to know, because thats a pretty good deal you got
I was told that the bolt pattern is the same as WARN my winch plate is drilled for a WARN so I think you would be fine but call Winch Depot to make sure I know my plate is a T.G. and it says made to fit WARN Here's their ad.

Mounting holes on the winch plate are drilled for most 5000-9500 model low-profile winches and smaller sized 9.0R Warn competition winches. For larger winches some minor trimming of the grill may be required.