Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smell making me nauseous and eyes burning

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Glad I found this forum. I own a 1991 toyota pickup with only 138,000k on it. It runs great, however there's a smell coming from the engine compartment and into the cab that dries out my eyes and mouth and gives me a headache.

It kind of smells like coolant, but I'm not sure. I've had the cooling system pressure tested (by 2 different mechanics) and it held great. I've replaced the radiator and thermostat (as suggested by Toyota dealer). The heater core is fine, as I bypassed it and still can smell it.

So, maybe I'm smelling exhaust? I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the first exhaust pipe that connects to the manifold. The PCV has been replaced and I don't see anything else. The smell appears to be coming from around the exhaust manifold or behind the motor. Is it possible that maybe the EGR recirculation tube is cracked behind the motor?

I should note that the smell happens whether stationary or in motion. Belts and pulleys all look good too.

Anyway, any suggestions would be very helpful as I'm ready to get rid of the truck pretty soon if I can't figure this out.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I had coolant burning on top of the engine, and it was bad. But, you said you had the system pressure tested, so I don't know. Exhaust is a different smeel all together.

Can't think of anything else it might be. You'd think that 2 different mechanics would be able to find something.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Can you visibly see any smoke where it shouldn't be?

I know it may sound stupid but start by degreasing+washing your motor(after it cools off!). If the cooling system was serviced and not rinsed it could be leftover coolant burning off. If it smells like coolant its probably coolant, exhaust smells a lot different(to me anyway).

Oh if you rinse your motor make sure you dry it with compressed air before starting it/the water freezes. Keep in mind if your ignition system is not up to par(cracked wires, dist, ect) washing it could create new problems.

Welcome to Yotatech!

Edit: Posting up which motor is in your truck can help people who own/have owned the same and had similar problems, identify your issue.

Last edited by kevtek; 02-26-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it is anti freeze it will have a sweet smell. This might help narrow the problem down.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gavink
Step awaaaay from the burrito!

I'd look at a possible exhaust leak in the EGR tube behind the head. Start the engine up and look for a leak by feeling around with your hand. Do this before the engine get's too hot. Have someone hold a handful of rags over the tailpipe to increase exhaust pressure while you do this. Keep us informed...

John
Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Coolant smells a bit like Caramel heated in a pan for candy apples.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be checking the EGR tube in the morning behind the motor (22RE - thanks Kevtek) to see if that's leaking exhaust fumes.

Also, is the cooling system pressure test a be-all-end-all test to check for coolant leaks? It's passed 2 pressure tests, however it still smells like coolant to me.

Anyway, I'll be checking out your suggestions in the morn and will report back.

Thanks again.

Gavin
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the tech didnt do the test right which is unlikely since two did it, it probably isnt leaking. The pressure test puts the cooling system under the same pressure it is under while running and so if it leaks when it is running, it leaks during the pressure test, another thing that can be missed by some techs though is the radiator cap since it is removed during the test which can leak coolant if bad.

Last edited by James Woods; 03-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 AM

clean off the exhaust manifold of grease etc. if exhaust fumes are making you nauseous, its a pretty serious leak, coolant smell doesnt really cause headaches (at least for me).
burning of grease such as wheel bearing grease etc can be pretty rancid tho
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM

still looking...

Ok, well I can't seem to locate any exhaust leaks at all. Checked the EGR tube too. There is some white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe when I first start up the truck and my hand gets wet when over the pipe. However, that goes away after 6-7 minutes. Could it be a small head gasket leak that I'm smelling (ie. burning coolant). Although, the smell seems to be stronger in the engine compartment than anywhere else.....

Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 1993 v6 4runner was doing the same,smelly exhaust and if a left the engine run for a while in the garage the smell reach in to the house.the reason of the irritated eyes,nausea and headaches are obvious,exhaust poisoning.the most common cause of this old elgines to do that are clogged cat converter or missing one,in my case mine was missing,and believe it was so stinky that even my clothes get inpregnated with that smelly odor.so get a new cat converter,check for any leaks in the y pipe also.

hydrocarbons
At present, people are not clear about the direct harms of hydrocarbons on human health. However, when nitrogen oxides react with hydrocarbons under the action of ultraviolet, they will produce a kind of light blue smoke, which include ozone, aldehydes, nitric acid and many other complex compounds. The most prominent harm of this photochemical smog on human body is the stimulation on the eyes and the mucosa membrane of upper respiratory tract, which may lead to eye irritation and laryngitis.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5371334

Last edited by runnermedic; 04-27-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didnt take the time to read the whole thing so maybe someone already said this but whatever.
Could be some sort of oil leak (possibly valve cover gasket) and the oil is burning raw on the motor somewhere. One of my trucks leaks onto the manifold and it doesnt smoke or anything but the oil will sit on there and boil and the smell makes me nauseous
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 AM

Oh man sounds nasty I hope you can figure this out soon. I don't have any advise that hasn't already been said but I had a truly nasty small that just would not go away on my CRX for weeks. It smelled like an electrical fire but after a couple of days of driving the car without any issues or changes in its performance I just ignored it. Finally after I heard from people I gave rides "whats that smell?" about a dozen times I finally got under the car and found something hilarious.

It turned out a black garbage bag (best guess hard to tell) had gotten wrapped up around my exhaust under my can and had melted all over it. I must have picked it up on the freeway lol that was a beach to get off.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Sounds like you've checked most of the obvious potentials... Are your floorboards sealed? If you have a leak in your exhaust system somewhere down line from the manifold it could be letting exhaust enter the cab through the floor. Just somethingelse to check
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is the smell of rice burning, perfectly normal
Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM

it is your prop wash resovior leaking causing lack of turn signal use because they are cooled by water so is the muffler bearings