Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

slipping out of 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slipping out of 4WD?

I don't know if this is the correct subsection, but after 3 hours of "getting out" I don't have much of an energy for anything.

I recently purchased a 90 pickup with 3.0 and 4 inch lift plus 2 body and 33's. I think it has manual front lockers (I have to get out and lock them in). I asumed that this is a stock option.

Anyway I took it out this evening and and after a while it began slipping out of 4wheel high or low. I just want to know where I can find some knowledge to narrow down the cause of this i.e. trouble shoot it. My brother said it could be that the front diff is messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please forgive my "noobness."

Last edited by jamesa7755; 05-18-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you were sold a lemon in need of some dier attention.

The syncros could be bad inside the tranny and could mean entire rebuilt or new tranny is in order. If not tranny... T/C (transfer case) could need rebuilding

Youve come to the right place for help in diagnosing but are you capable to spend the money or do the work as I think your problems are pretty serious and spendy
Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
They are not called manual front lockers, they are manual hubs. They have nothing to do with the diff.

How is it slipping in and out of 4x4?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesa7755
Please forgive my "nubness."
You missing some appendages or something?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
lol
thats the one word i have to say
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another potential cause would be if your vehicle has had manual hubs put on an ADD system and the ADD actuator was disengaging due to a lack of vacuum. If you have ADD, check with this site on how to test: http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=399612
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the later trucks had automatic transfer cases which could definately pop out of 4wd

Manual transfer cases generally don't do that.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4

The syncros could be bad inside the tranny and could mean entire rebuilt or new tranny is in order. If not tranny... T/C (transfer case) could need rebuilding

Youve come to the right place for help in diagnosing but are you capable to spend the money or do the work as I think your problems are pretty serious and spendy
God darn it. I guess thats what I get. Do you know of any way to check this. What other info do you need to give a good estimation of the problem? I have money it's just that times are hard. humor me how much dose a rebuild cost?

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
They are not called manual front lockers, they are manual hubs. They have nothing to do with the diff.

Thanks for the correction on the hubs. Ummm I put it in 4x4. I take off and then once pressure is applied I hear a pop or thud and it's not in 4x4 any more. I put it back in 2h then place it back in 4h and it does the same again.

Originally Posted by Elvota
noobness

Originally Posted by RobD
Another potential cause would be if your vehicle has had manual hubs put on an ADD system and the ADD actuator was disengaging due to a lack of vacuum. If you have ADD, check with this site on how to test: http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=399612
Thank you. I will check that first.

Originally Posted by 86tuning
Some of the later trucks had automatic transfer cases which could definately pop out of 4wd

I assume it's manual. I have lever on the floor that I shift into 4x4. When it pops out the 4x4 shifter stays in the same place.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4

God darn it. I guess thats what I get. Do you know of any way to check this. What other info do you need to give a good estimation of the problem? I have money it's just that times are hard. humor me how much dose a rebuild cost?

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Thanks for the correction on the hubs. Ummm I put it in 4x4. I take off and then once pressure is applied I hear a pop or thud and it's not in 4x4 any more. I put it back in 2h then place it back in 4h and it does the same again.

Originally Posted by Elvota
noobness

No ADD.
Originally Posted by 86tuning

It doesn't come the T.C. shifter doesn't actually move if thats what you are asking.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Checked and it has Mile Marker hubs. I am trying to determine if it does have ADD and where the problem is.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Thank you to everyone that actually tried to help. I guess the rest of you don't have the knowledge base or maturity level to. Plus I am easy target.

Just to clarify it is a manual T.C. being that it's a 90 model.

First I tried the ADD its getting vacuum on both sides of the VSV's.

Next I pulled the manual hubs (Mile Marker). They had way!!! to much grease in them but still that wasn't the problem.

I talked to a guy that said that this really doesn't ever happen in Toyota's. I wonder why its happening in mine.

Next course of action is to drain the T.C. and see whats up in there.

Any other help is very appreciated.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
CJM

Is the transfer case lever PHYSICALLY moving out of 4wd, like you take off and bang it jumps back to 2wd?

If so, your body lift is causing the body to hit shifter lever or something to that effect. The shifter must be extended and or given a short throw shift so this dont happen.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM

No the lever stays in 4wd. Also when in low the gear ratio does not change.

Last edited by jamesa7755; 05-19-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
CJM

Then you have a problem with the transfer case possibly among other things.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you lived around me I could rebuild it for you for pretty cheap but I would guess $500 atleast for a shop. I would also say take it out before you brought it to a shop to do it as it may be cheaper. You may want to check with the shop however cause I dont know if they will rebuild one for you without installing it because then they cant warrenty it sometimes.

Marlin also sells rebuilt ones
Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
So when it "slips out of 4WD", what do you do to get it back into 4WD? And what mode does it slip into, i.e. 2WD or neutral?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to yota tech!!! your one stop shop for all your yota needs

NOw as for your transfer problem i dont think its in the hubs or trany but i do belive its in the a$$ end of your transfercase so to check this drop the rear drive shaft and take that big bolt out jack the trasfer case up just a lil to get the lower mount bolts out and drain the fluid and take all them little bolts out there a 14mm have fun there tight now take that rear output thingy out and take the cover off now ass you can see your gears are not messed right (they dont go tooth to tooth there a lil worn down) and to fix this easy but your self a set of real good gears from wab fab or craller or any place like that cause from what it sounds like is that your in 4x4 and when you put even the smallest amount of torque to it they jump and then it wont work

step two if everything above is fine then its your bearings in your transfercase and the gears are not meshing right

now if its a chain drive then hey your almost done you need to replace your chain guides just like the timing chain and then you should be fine but since you did this a few times and i know the po did this all the time you will need the fallowing

tc chain
tc chain guides
rtv sealet
and your good to go
(dont forget to do the bearings since your there)

gear to gear tc

gears
bearings
rtv sealant

hope it helps and somebody correct me if im wrong on this if you need help i can try and walk you through this man!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
So when it "slips out of 4WD", what do you do to get it back into 4WD? And what mode does it slip into, i.e. 2WD or neutral?
I take it out of 4wd and put it right back in. It works for a second then clunk.

When I am in 4x4h and it slips out it just goes to 2wh (or thats my guess). When I am in L the gear ratio does not change it just loses power to the front two wheels.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, does sound like something going on inside the t-case. If it were just the shifter popping out of gear, you would go from say 4L into neutral as N is next to 4L in the shift pattern. Might try posting the symptoms up on Marlin Crawler's forum and see what the experts have to say:
- http://board.marlincrawler.com/

A buddy of mine was having issues with his case popping out of low range (only) and that was due to some internally worn parts inside the case. Marlin fixed it for him.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Yes, does sound like something going on inside the t-case. If it were just the shifter popping out of gear, you would go from say 4L into neutral as N is next to 4L in the shift pattern. Might try posting the symptoms up on Marlin Crawler's forum and see what the experts have to say:
- http://board.marlincrawler.com/

A buddy of mine was having issues with his case popping out of low range (only) and that was due to some internally worn parts inside the case. Marlin fixed it for him.
Yeah I had this problem. I have an automatic and the shift linkage for my 4x4 lever would pop out of 4Low into 4 High. I'd have to hold it often times. We figured it out, and put a new shift linkage in (There are 2 cup shaped bearings in there and one of them had fallen out....)

But this doesn't sound like your problem...

Quick Reply: slipping out of 4WD?