Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Slipping out of 3rd gear . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slipping out of 3rd gear . . . .

So my truck is a 1993, 22RE, 5 speed, 2wd, reg cab stripper. 157k miles on it, pretty beat up, but runs great.

So my problem is that the trans tends to slip out of 3rd gear. It engages into 3rd with no problem, but if you have very light or no throttle it will slip into netrual. It usually stays in gear if you have it past 1/3rd throttle. Right now my solution is to just hold my hand on the stick while its in 3rd, it stays in gear that way.

Like I said it shifts great, no grinding in any gear, doesn't whine or anything. The clutch is also on its way out, it tends to slip in 5th if you mat the throttle at 50-65mph, sometimes the clutch will slip a little bit in 4th as well. The clutch is also weird because the engagement point is almost at the top of the pedal, like a new clutch.

Anyways, could my worn clutch be related to my 3rd gear problem? I read in another thread that it could possibly be a bad clutch pilot bearing, not sure what that part is, but it sounds pretty easy to replace when I do the clutch.

I really don't want to do a trans rebuild on this truck, as it would probably cost more than the $650 I paid for it orignally.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 AM

My transmission started doing the same thing at about 150,000 miles. I got one of these and that fixed the problem:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

The factory one is made of rubber and crumbles over time.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
^x2^^^^
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM

indeed. x3
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think mine needs to be replaced as well, my shifter is super sloppy and have trouble getting it in 4th.

if you have a body lift try flipping your shifter boot upside down so its not not pulling on the shifter
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
i think mine needs to be replaced as well, my shifter is super sloppy and have trouble getting it in 4th.

if you have a body lift try flipping your shifter boot upside down so its not not pulling on the shifter

2wd man

Glad to see this isn't going to be a major ordeal like rebuilding the transmission. Figured it was something stupid and rubber that was worn out. I'm kind of new to manual trannies, do you have to drop the trans to change the clutch? I'm thinking I'll just replace that part when I change the clutch.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the trans does have to come out to change the clutch. i would probably go ahead and change the shifter bushings before doing the clutch the trans does not need to come out to change the bushings and then that way you can be sure that is in fact your problem, then if it turns out to not be the problem your not pulling the trans twice. the bushing could be changed out within probably 30 min at the most.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 AM

So those Marlin Crawler bushings actually rotate while you're shifting gears? I did not realize this until I read the description on their site just now. I thought it just sat in the same spot.

I have been having trouble getting into second gear sometimes. Usually it goes in really easy, but every once in a while I really have to pull hard on the shift lever or I'll end up grinding the gear.

I don't think I greased the sides and bottom of the bushing when I put it in, which you'd think would be important if the thing needs to rotate. So I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to take mine out and grease it up a little better.

Last edited by peckinpah; 02-09-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
The marlin bushing rotates in to place, it doesn't rotate once it's installed and functioning. The original bushing just got smushed in to place and nothing really held it there, the upgraded marlin bushing is threaded and so it stays put.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Figured out that if I give it a little bit more of a "firm hand" shifting into 3rd it will stay put. After modfying my shifting style the problem has gone away.

Still waiting on the bushing, still plan on changing it since I already bought the part. I'm sure it will shift a lot nicer once I put that thing in there as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Our Heavy Duty Shift Seats and Sockets are a great way to upgrade stock components (they don't last nearly as long). I don't need to do much talking to express how cool these things are, honestly they make a night-and-day difference. Please take a look at the video on our installation page located at http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation to see how cool they are!

Aron9000,

Remember that it could be something else, like interference between the shifter boot and handle, or even the floorboard if your body or transfer case mounts have shifted. Also worn out engine mounts -- especially the driver's side -- can cause the drivetrain to move enough causing contact between the cab and the shifter. These issues are all worthwhile cases to inspect.

The simplest method would be to remove the cabin interior floor shift boot (not the small handle boot) and determine if the handle is coming anywhere near the body at all.

Moreover, an even worse case could be a badly worn out transmission center bearing plate. Through many miles of use, the center plate will begin to warp and yield to the constant pressure (thrust/axial loads) (because the gears feature a helical cut). When this happens, the main shaft is able to move forward or reward in relation to the housings. Keeping in mind that the shift forks are held in place by the housings, when the shaft moves towards or away from the shift fork, the gear is self-disengaged without any user input. So this could also cause your transmission to fall out of gear and unfortunately there is no way to remedy this short of replacing parts in your transmission.

Hopefully it is something simple such as boot-to-handle interference. Please let us know.

Originally Posted by peckinpah
So those Marlin Crawler bushings actually rotate while you're shifting gears? I did not realize this until I read the description on their site just now. I thought it just sat in the same spot.
I wrote the description for our bushings and am always looking for ways to improve usability. Would you mind explaining what description caused this confusion? I would greatly appreciate your feedback!! Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
BigMike
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM

It was this line that threw me off:

Instead of squeezing the seat into place, the groves on each side allow ours to rotate into position.
I interpreted this sentence to mean that the bushing rotates during gear shifts, rather than the intended meaning that refers to the rotation that occurs during installation.

I tend to read too fast and misinterpret sentences a lot. Bad habit of mine.

Hey, do you guys have any reasonably-priced 2WD street-type rear bumpers over there? I'm looking for one to replace the one that some drunk slammed into while I was sitting at a drive-up ATM. I don't care if it's used or not.

Last edited by peckinpah; 03-07-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM

I tend to read too fast and misinterpret sentences a lot. Bad habit of mine.
I don't think that is a bad habit, it's human nature I added an extra word in there and fixed a few spelling mistakes. Thanks for the tip!

Hey, do you guys have any reasonably-priced 2WD street-type rear bumpers over there?
I'll find out tomorrow morning and reply back!

Regards,
BigMike
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM

I've decided to throw away my POS Marlin Crawler shifter bushing and am going back to a stock rubber one. Too many missed shifts into second gear. %#&@ aftermarket parts.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 PM

If you recently ordered it, then you are welcome to return it with a small restocking fee as per our Terms Page.

Nevertheless, a more precise shifter will not cause you to miss gears. It sounds like you'll need more than just a bandage to remedy your transmission issue.

Good luck with everything. Regards,
BigMike
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigMike
I'll find out tomorrow morning and reply back!
Uhhhhhh tomorrow means this tomorrow hahaha Sorry, I'll reply back in the morning

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BigMike
Uhhhhhh tomorrow means this tomorrow hahaha Sorry, I'll reply back in the morning
Okay, I am sorry but no, we do not have any used stock bumpers at the moment...

BigMike