Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Slee Land Cruiser Coils To Lift 2nd Gen Rear?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slee Land Cruiser Coils To Lift 2nd Gen Rear?

I have searched the Yotatech site and have yet to find someone who writes about replacing their sagging, weak ass pro comp coil springs with Slee springs. I see alot of stuff about guys using 91-97 fj80 cils but that they are a bit soft and contribute to alot of body roll. Apparenty the 91-97 fj80 coils (rear) work in the 2nd gen 4runners. Slee Offroad sells a bunch of springs including their own Slee brand, made specifically for the 91-97 landcruiser. So is my assumption correct that their HD rear coil would work on my 90 4runner? I already have a 4" pro comp lift but that coils sags with no load and I am adding a custom bumper, spare tire, gas tank and cargo to that! So I was thinking maybe the Slee Offroad P/N# SOF5RH could take care of my problems. It is listed as a 6" lift and 500-700 lb rating. if anyone knows about these springs or has used 'em in a similiar rig please chime in and give me the skinny.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, going huge eh? Never seen anyone use the slee springs under a runner, but plenty on land cruisers.

Stock land cruiser springs will lift a 2nd gen 4runner 3-4" IIRC. 6" land cruiser springs should give you on the order of 9-10" of lift over level.

I would SERIOUSLY look at redoing the entire rear suspension if you go that route: longer links, 4link, etc... That is a LOT of lift.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed no extra body roll with the rear cruiser coils on my 95 Runner.
Maybe the ones you heard it from removed their rear sway bars.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM

Not too much body roll if you:

1) get less Mileage/km LC coil springs...
2) keep your sway bar connected

Mine had 170k miles before putting on the truck and they are a softer ride then the worn out OE Springs, but frankly I alway carry about 300 lbs of extra gear, lubes, and tools and found no adverse affects. I did test running with no rear sway bar and there is a very very small difference in body roll or articulation. I also tested (well... kinda broke the bolts and endlinks) running with no front swaybar after a botched trany pan drop/fluid change/screen inspection. I can tell you from experience that running with no front swaybar WILL CAUSE BODY ROLL.... alot of body roll... nothing that would keep me from running the truck at highway speeds on 31s but it is very noticeable... just my experience

Ted
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont see it not working but it sounds like i might lift it more than you want? how much are they? maybe if you do th bumper and all you were talking about it might bring the level down too. if they are too tall cut them down a tad. or just do a leaf swap i seen guys do that and its really stable and you can hold much more in the back and increase your tong weight. just a thought. if you decide to get them let us know they work .
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Slee or Fj80 Coils - help

Thanks for the replies. OK let me be clear-er. I do not want this to be a massive lift. I dont want to change anything except the coils. I already have pro comp 4" lift coils but they are just too soft in there when loaded up. I am taking off with the familia for a couple of months to Baja, Mex. We will be loaded heavily (and heavily loaded no doubt) and way offroad. WhatI need is some guidance from y'all. Which FJ or Slee coil do I get to lift my rear 5" total? If possibe I would like this to be a stiffer coil or HD coil so I can carry all that gear and bumpers, etc and not rub my 35's... If anyone has their exact remedy I would be truly stoked so I dont have to spend too much time n money learning by error..

I would like to know exactly which coils you used to achieve the 5" lift on your 2nd gen 4runner and where you got 'em? Also, what rear shocks did you use to compliment those coils and what were their dimension?

So I was just wondering if someone had used the Slee's or if anyone knows which Slee's or FJ 80 coils would get me 5" lift and would effectively carry a heavier load?

Anyone know what these Pro Comp 4" lift coils spring rate is?

The Slee website
has a bunch of the 91 - 97 coils for sale. If anyone with experience on this could suggest which coil would work on my '90 4runner rear and actually keep me in that 4 - 5" lift range with enough spring rate to haul a ton of gear, bumper, spare, etc I woud be indebted forever and ever.

Also, I did find a guy on Pirate 4x4 selling his rear coils from a 95 FJ80 for $100 a pair. Which seems like a decent deal but will those coils keep me in that 4 - 5" lift zone and would they be stiff enough?

Last but not least - Am I correct in thinking that if I get 5" of lift (1" over current Pro Comp springs) I won't have to funk with the control arms or anything else (I already have Panhard and removed LSPV).???

(P.S. I know that there is info on these coils but I have yet to find the answers to my questions listed above - I have searched quite extensively).