Now onto my mess of a truck. And if anyone makes a comment about my wiring and hose routing selections, I am gonna smack em. lol.
3 out of the 4 mounting bracket points were "unglued".
Just some reference shots on how high and low etc this 25 year old radiator is.
Just a pre-fitting of the fan shroud which was something I was worried about.
The two holes on one side match up perfectly. But the other side is just a tad too "wide".
It's also a little too short on the top and bottom. May or may not affect performance.
Some side by side shots old versus new. Just to show how much taller and thicker the new radiator is.
Some of the differences in the upper and lower hoses. Also take note the different location of the rad cap.
This bolted to the core support 100% the way the old one did. It's just a hair taller. And quite a bit lower.
You can see where it goes beyond the holes in the front cross member. It's almost even with it.
The onld one was just a tad above the top of that crossmember.
This is where I remember someone saying that I needed at least one different hose. I didn't.
The top hose reached far enough and didn't kink enough for me to worry about.
The bottom hose I just loosened from that u-shaped pipe and twisted it 90 degrees. Worked just fine.
I must note, one of the mounting bolts on that pipe is undone, so I might have just a little more play.
Because of the different location of the rad cap, the overflow hose had to be shortened.
I also had to "fix" the hood for clearance issues. It hit the support bar.
A little hammer work on the support solved it.
This may or may not be an issue on a different body style or if your not using a cap with a pressure release on it.
Instead of using zip ties, bolts and washers is what I used to secure the other side of the shroud.
With the shroud bolted up you can see the areas that it doesn't cover on the top and bottom.
It does cover the entire width of this radiator.
Personally I think the bracket placement on the radiator could be a little better.
It leaves a little bit of a gap between the shroud and radiator at the top and bottom like it's too far away from it.
Coupled with the wider rad this in turn pushed the rad closer to the core support.
The wire loom that went between the support and old rad now has no where to go.
The old and new bracket however is the same width.
So the shroud placement is not any closer to the engine then before. Nor does it cover any more of the fan.
Sorry for the smudge mark on the lens. It was one of the last two photos I took.
For the life of me I can't figure out why this 25 year old radiator wasn't cooling properly.
Notice how many fins and rust issues on this thing. I can't believe it survived this long.
Now to figure out a better way to keep the mud off the new one. Rust won't be an issue.
And some "done" shots. Once again, sorry for the smudge mark.