Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

shuddering while braking

Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shuddering while braking

my truck lately has been doing some weird things while braking. while im braking... and coming to a stop.... just before i stop my truck starts to violently jolt.... like the brakes are grabbing onto something and not sliding on the rotors smoothly or something. the funni thing is it doesnt happen all the time. i thought that it maybe my front brake pads so i changed them. it still does it. sometimes when i creeping forward and i lightly press the brakes,... it grabs real quick and i stop suddenly.. instead of slowing to a stop.

any ideas guys? check out my sig below for my truck specs.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bleed the front brakes because its easy and cheap.

With that out of the way, if it continues I would replace the front calipers. The pistons inside do eventually loose their chrome finish and rust. The rusting is causing them to stick. If problem persists, go to the next step.

Your alignment may be off with likely the camber. You got some death wobble as a result of caster and camber problems after installing the kit. Go to a full time alignment shop, note the kit install, and the tech can correct the problem and check toe in as well. You may want to take the lift instructions with you.

My $0.02

Last edited by SEAIRESCUE; 07-29-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:03 AM

Warped and/or cracked rotor??? Also check your wheel bearings while your at it.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Sounds like your rotors have hot spots on them
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 AM

Warped rotors! Have them machined or just buy a good set of rotors that won't warp. I bought a set from autozone about a year ago, and they warped within 4 months. I'm gonna do the tundra upgrade eventually.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When you changed the pads, were they glazed over and/or unevenly worn? If they were glazed, the rear shoes may be also. Like seairescue said, the calipers may be sticking. In that case, I'd even check the rear brake mechanisms. It seems common for the e-brake levers to freeze up, too.

I don't see how alignment would cause that kind of braking issue, especially if your steering/tracking is not off and tires aren't wearing unevenly (???) ...then it may not part of the problem. And bearings...you'd notice that even when not braking.

More likely warped rotors/drums and/or spots....and sticking brakes, of course.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 AM

When i was in the auto shop brake course, we ran into that same situation with several vehicles. Before you replace the calipers, look and the pads. If the the leading and trailing ends of the pads are straight to the rotor, they could be catching and causing that pulsing. A simple solution is to take a file, and make a 45 degree angle into the pad on both the leading and the trailing side. Some pads come this way, but some don't and then some people have this problem. We had several customers that brought us their cars thinking that the brakes needed to be done because they thought the rotors were warped. We found that the rotors were withen spec, but the pads had straight edges that caused then to grab and chatter giving the feeling of warped rotors. WE just filed the leading and trailing end of the pad and the problem went away.

I think its worth a shot before you go and buy new rotors, pads and calipers. That being said those still might need to be replaced.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM

I just replaced my rotors 3 months ago and I've got the same problem already. Anybody know if tacoma calipers are the same as the 4runner calipers w/16" rims.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
When i was in the auto shop brake course, we ran into that same situation with several vehicles. Before you replace the calipers, look and the pads. If the the leading and trailing ends of the pads are straight to the rotor, they could be catching and causing that pulsing. A simple solution is to take a file, and make a 45 degree angle into the pad on both the leading and the trailing side. Some pads come this way, but some don't and then some people have this problem. We had several customers that brought us their cars thinking that the brakes needed to be done because they thought the rotors were warped. We found that the rotors were withen spec, but the pads had straight edges that caused then to grab and chatter giving the feeling of warped rotors. WE just filed the leading and trailing end of the pad and the problem went away.

I think its worth a shot before you go and buy new rotors, pads and calipers. That being said those still might need to be replaced.

Great!!! Thanks much for that tip. I'm going to do that very thing this coming week.

Sorry eastntoy, I've got no idea myself.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:45 PM

alex! thanks for the info! that totally sounds like what it could be! ill have to check it out when i get home. i dont remember if the pads have a straight edge or not. im thinking it does though.... i bought Performance Friction carbon metalic pads from autozone.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your rear brake cylinders. If either of them are leaking into your rear drums, the brake fluid can mix with the brake dust and create a sticky substance that will cause the shoe to grab the drum when you press the brake pedal.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This doesn't sound like alignment to me. I had a similar issue recently. My problem was bad wheel bearings and "hot spots" or what I believe were unevenly deposited brake lining material on the rotors. The fix was to simply have the rotors resurfaced, install in my case new wheel bearings, you might just repack yours and follow the torque procedure on this website, and do a proper brake in.

The brake in procedure is basically to start with a long gentle stop but do not sit with the brake pedal applied. Then do longer and harder stops, well as long as one can when stopping hard. Again, don't sit with your foot on the brake. By doing this you'll apply pad material evenly to the rotors and the pads will seat correctly.

If there was any grease smeared on the rotors when installed, it can cause this problem too. Sometimes, doing the brake in procedure burns it off but not always so keep the rotors clean when reassembling.

Frank

Last edited by elripster; 07-29-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM

thanks for all your replies guys! im hoping its what alex said....

i noticed... sometimes...that it seems like the brake is actually sticking. when im stopped, i would give it a lil gas and go into neutral to roll a bit and let the truck stop on its own without applying the brakes... it would slow roll and then stop as if the breaks were applied slightly and stop. i would then pump the breaks a few times and repeat... and it would slow roll and come to a slow gentle roll stop. so it seems like something is sticking. maybe its what gsgallant was saying about the brake fluid and dust? i wont b able to work on it again till the weekend. :T
Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the front brakes are hanging, you likely have heat warped rotors. Among the other things recommended, I'd have them turned.

Do you get feedback through the steering wheel when this happens? That can help to rule out front Vs rear brakes.

Frank
Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM

I just had the same problem, then I got my tires rotated and balanced and that did the trick. Hopefully you got lifetime balance and rotate with your tires so you can just take it in and get it fixed for free, or it would only be about $20-30. I would try that before spending the money and time doin the other stuff.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Get a set of rotors from LC.. Sounds like they are warped.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Tires out of balance aren't going to cause the brakes to grab, though.

You just have to pull things down and look.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM

I don't know, but it worked for me. My brakes weren't grabbing though, just my whole cab was shaking when I used the brakes. I had my brakes checked and they were fine. Just a cheap idea to rule out before spending alot of money, and hey, maybe your tires need to be rotated anyways.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carljwnc
Warped and/or cracked rotor??? Also check your wheel bearings while your at it.
Not rotor run-out or thickness variation, as this would be more pronounced at HIGH speeds, as a brake pedal vibration/pulsation.

I would check for sticky brakes, and/or worn out bushings and stuff like excessive clearance in the wheel bearings. If there's movement in your suspension due to worn out parts, it will make braking problems feel worse.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM

yeh i dont think its warped rotars or the tires. something is definately sticking. esp after my lil "experiment" that i mentioned in my last post. at a slow roll the in neutral, the truck would stop like the brakes were applied to the point where there would be a slight "lunge" to the stop. i pump the brakes and slow roll again in neutral.. and the truck would come to a smooth rolling stop with no feel of a lunge. im thinking its may be the rear drums. ill take a look this weekend.

oh on another note... when changing my pads, on the drivers side i discovered that one of the pins that holds the pads in place was missing!!!! the spring retaining clip that goes between the two pins was broken and the anti rattle spring was missing. the pad was partially coming out of the caliper as well. im sure this isnt a good thing. this is partially why i am also leaning to the fact that the pads have a 90deg edge and i need to file it to a 45deg edge. ill check it out.

thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shuddering while braking