Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shower set-up in my 1986 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shower set-up in my 1986 4Runner

Hello everyone.

I'd like to set up a water reservoir/shower system in the 4Runner, but I need a little advice.

First a little about this project. I'd like to set up a shower system so I can rinse myself off after spearfishing, spending time at the beach, clean off my fishing reels after use, wash my hands, rinse off, etc.

I plan on putting the tank in the 4Runner but i'm not sure where because i'd like to keep the back somewhat free so I can still camp out back there.

Here's what I plan to do;

Mount the tank in the back somewhere, run the lines to a small radiator in the engine bay to heat the water so it's warm when I go to use it. Have the output line go to a removable shower head on an extension hose so i can keep it tucked away when not in use.

I already have the radiator (came out of a Miller Syncrowave 250LX).

I'm not sure on the pump, I can either run a power inverter and use a 115V AC motor to turn a Procon pump that I already own thanks to that same Syncrowave lol. But this seems like way too much work. So I found that Shurflo makes a 12V DC 3.5 GPM pump. I'm not sure 3.5 GPM is enough?

Anyway, trying to keep this short, here's my questions,

-Where should I mount the tank?
-Which pump set up should I use?
-What size tank should I go with?
-Will my radiator idea even work?
-Where can I get the parts needed i.e. shower head, tank?
-What kind of fittings should I use? (I was thinking standard reverse thread water fittings).

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM

And the pump.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH0Q8wIwAg
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Oops double post!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been putting alot of thought into this too. I'm not sure how much water you would like to store at one time, if you only want to use it for cleaning up after a day and not for camping, you could get away with using a smaller tank.

Check out this tank made by Front Runner. It holds 50L and fits right behind your rear seat and is molded to clear the wheel wells. Definitely designed to save space.

I'm not sure if you still have your spare tire under your truck, but if not, check out these tanks. I've been planning on doing exactly what you are talking about on my 4runner, and having a larger 13 gallon tank where my old spare used to be. These guys can pretty much make any size tank you want, and will work on the size limitations you have. Just enter in the tank size dimensions you need and thats it!

http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=9

Check out this awesome thread, I bookmarked this a couple years ago, this guy seems to know his stuff.

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

Also check out expeditionportal.com, it is a great wealth of knowledge on all ways to turn your rig into the best home away from home anyone could ask for, including awesome onboard water systems.

Good luck man!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah... i was just going to say think RV when it comes to a project like this. water tank, radiator, pump, probably a butterfly valve ( or valve of some sort to not have water drip out of the nozzle ) a hose and a sprayer. I know one guy did it on here awhile back.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by stockwell45
Ive been putting alot of thought into this too. I'm not sure how much water you would like to store at one time, if you only want to use it for cleaning up after a day and not for camping, you could get away with using a smaller tank.

Check out this tank made by Front Runner. It holds 50L and fits right behind your rear seat and is molded to clear the wheel wells. Definitely designed to save space.

I'm not sure if you still have your spare tire under your truck, but if not, check out these tanks. I've been planning on doing exactly what you are talking about on my 4runner, and having a larger 13 gallon tank where my old spare used to be. These guys can pretty much make any size tank you want, and will work on the size limitations you have. Just enter in the tank size dimensions you need and thats it!

http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=9

Check out this awesome thread, I bookmarked this a couple years ago, this guy seems to know his stuff.

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754

Also check out expeditionportal.com, it is a great wealth of knowledge on all ways to turn your rig into the best home away from home anyone could ask for, including awesome onboard water systems.

Good luck man!
Wow you and I are a lot alike in our mod ideas! I love it!

I really like that tank! I could mount it to my rear seat delete and when the rear seat delete is folded down the tank would still be out of the way.

Thank you for the links! The offroad passport one is awesome! I'll be sure to check out expeditionportal.com as I do plan on taking my 4Runner cross country.

As far as my spare goes, it hasn't been under the truck since I bought it. BUT I do have a NorthWest Metal Products aux fuel tank that will be going under there, although the fuel tank says it will work with the stock spare so maybe I could squeeze the tank in there too?

Thanks again!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Yeah... i was just going to say think RV when it comes to a project like this. water tank, radiator, pump, probably a butterfly valve ( or valve of some sort to not have water drip out of the nozzle ) a hose and a sprayer. I know one guy did it on here awhile back.
Yeah I have all err.. most of this figured out aside from the non dripping out thing, probably going to use a quick fitting (like an air ratchet) so no water will drip out when nothing is plugged in.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 PM

One, if your rig is a standard shift, just install the auto trans radiator and use that for the heating of the water. That will eliminate adding a second radiator. Second, the pump you listed says intermittent use, I would suggest something with 100% duty cycle. Run the lines inside cab, if your in a colder climate it might take forever to heat that tank up, if it would heat up at all. I like the tank behind the seat set-up, or in the location of the spare tire. Hope some of this helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobbybouche
One, if your rig is a standard shift, just install the auto trans radiator and use that for the heating of the water. That will eliminate adding a second radiator. Second, the pump you listed says intermittent use, I would suggest something with 100% duty cycle. Run the lines inside cab, if your in a colder climate it might take forever to heat that tank up, if it would heat up at all. I like the tank behind the seat set-up, or in the location of the spare tire. Hope some of this helps.
By "standard shift" I assume you mean manual transmission? If so, then yes my 4Runner is a 5 speed. I already have this radiator and plan on using it.

As far as the pump goes, you have a good point. Although, i'm not sure i'd be overrunning the duty cycle by taking a quick rinse off, either way, that is a good point and an issue I will need to address.

I do plan on running the lines inside the vehicle to keep them as warm as possible. I will not be running this system full of water between November and March as it gets too cold and things will freeze.

I think I'm going to go with the behind the seat set-up!

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM

X2 on thinking RV. Great idea.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about going through a transmission cooler type radiator in a manuel transmission vehicle? Use a sprayer with a pressure switch to controll the pump. I was told that that kind of pump controll is available for RV's. For washing creek or lake water can work.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Guess I was a little slow on that one.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Check Cabalas or Bass Pro Shop. Might find what you want there
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM

a camper water pump would work great,its 12v and it only turns on when you use the water source,spigot...shower head.it could be wired thru any old dash switch.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Buck87
How about going through a transmission cooler type radiator in a manuel transmission vehicle? Use a sprayer with a pressure switch to controll the pump. I was told that that kind of pump controll is available for RV's. For washing creek or lake water can work.
Not sure what you mean by going through the transmission cooler kind of radiator? Maybe a pic would help.

Any pics of the sprayer with a pressure switch?

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Check Cabalas or Bass Pro Shop. Might find what you want there
Good call! There's a Cabelas near me about 30min away.

Originally Posted by cman1
a camper water pump would work great,its 12v and it only turns on when you use the water source,spigot...shower head.it could be wired thru any old dash switch.
Excellent idea!!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Here's the current diagram of the set up I have in mind.

The quick fittings mentioned are the Coilhose Pneumatics Male-Threaded Six-Ball Coupler. Found at this site.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/air/

Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 01-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

I rotated the pic in Photobucket but it wont show up here so ya gotta deal with it lol
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Water tank... Inca Plastics in Ontario, California can build what you want: they can rotomold tanks to conform to most any shape you need.
Water heater... Atwood offers water heaters for RV's; both electric and LPG.
Water pump... readily available from the RV shop.
Shower head... Atwood sources them for RV manufacturer's and repair: not sure they supply them for aftermarket. Contact your RV shop.

I've apparently been too far away from the RV market to be useful: I once worked for Warrior Manufacturing - the "Weekend Warrior" trailers, and Carson Trailer - "Fun Chaser", "Fun Runner", "Racer" and the like.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Water tank... Inca Plastics in Ontario, California can build what you want: they can rotomold tanks to conform to most any shape you need.
Water heater... Atwood offers water heaters for RV's; both electric and LPG.
Water pump... readily available from the RV shop.
Shower head... Atwood sources them for RV manufacturer's and repair: not sure they supply them for aftermarket. Contact your RV shop.

I've apparently been too far away from the RV market to be useful: I once worked for Warrior Manufacturing - the "Weekend Warrior" trailers, and Carson Trailer - "Fun Chaser", "Fun Runner", "Racer" and the like.
Thanks for the advice! Inka Plastics seems promising depending on price. As far as a water heater goes, that is way more expensive and complex than I'd like to go. Not to mention it takes up more space.

As far as the shower head goes, it seems like the way to go is to use a sink sprayer head as the shower head is way too large to allow proper flow.

Appreciate the advice though!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Check out 4crawler's site, he has a shower system iirc.

Quick Reply: Shower set-up in my 1986 4Runner