Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Short throw shifter kit... Marlin vs LCE vs ?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short throw shifter kit... Marlin vs LCE vs ?

86 4Runner om617>w56

I recently finished a diesel conversion and I added a 2" body lift in the process. I'm having some slight shifter clearance issues and want to add a short throw kit. I was initially going to go with Marlin but I found the LCE one for much cheaper. Links found here...
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...fter-kit-w56-a
http://www.lceperformance.com/Short-...-p/1097004.htm
I understand most of the differences in design ...Marlin has you send in the shifter to be modified, LCE sends an extension, etc. Seems like they both accomplish the same goal of raising the pivot point. What is everyone's experience with these? I couldn't find any recent posts comparing the two, I believe the Marlin one is only a few years old.
Side note, Marlin told me they will soon be adding a brand new billet shifter handle to the kit so you don't have to send in the old one for modification (but you DO need to send an extra $100).
Anyone with experience on either...help me decide please!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:13 PM

I have a marlin crawler in my 87, seriously an awesome unit. Super tight but not to the point of being notchy. I love it and can honestly say its the best feeling shifter of any vehicle I have owned stock or aftermarket shifter.

Go with Marlin!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the LCE, not able to draw any comparisons to the marlin one though. Very happy with the LCE when I had a 22re in there.

I am actually in the middle of swapping an om617 into my 87 runner Any pics of your build? I hammered back the firewall and moved the transmission back about 3", no body lift. I should know how the LCE short shifter works with the new transmission positioning within the week.

What kind of clearance problem were you having with the shifter? Transmission is lower now, I'm guessing?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh yeah forgot to mention, the LCE feels a lot tighter than stock but not too much.

I would say that mostly it just feels normal, aka like any shift lever should feel (instead of like rowing a boat)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Marlin short throw on my R150F (5 speed behind the 3.0) to clear issues with the 1.5" body lift; with the main rubber shift boot, I couldn't shift into 2nd or R because it would bunch up and bind preventing the shifter from going all the way into gear.

The short throw base lifts the pivot point up about 1" (negating 1" of my 1.5" body lift, as far as the shifter was concerned). At first the shifts were almost too tight (at least going into 1st when cold), but over time it seems as though the shift bushing has worn in and now it shifts just fine.

I can't compare it to the LCE kit, but I do like that the Marlin kit doesn't have that bolt on spacer, though I'm sure its fine.

Here's a quick write-up I did on mine during my 3.4 swap:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post51995598
Old 11-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zeb8806
Go with Marlin!
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by jennygirl
I have the LCE, not able to draw any comparisons to the marlin one though. Very happy with the LCE when I had a 22re in there.

I am actually in the middle of swapping an om617 into my 87 runner Any pics of your build? I hammered back the firewall and moved the transmission back about 3", no body lift. I should know how the LCE short shifter works with the new transmission positioning within the week.

What kind of clearance problem were you having with the shifter? Transmission is lower now, I'm guessing?
I'll have some pics of the build up here shortly. Didn't have time to do a write up yet, rushing to get it drivable before Colorado winter sets in. I kept the transmission and transfer case in the stock location, so my clearance issues were up front. Hello angle grinder, goodbye radiator support. The issue with the shifter is the 2" body lift I put on. I can still shift through the whole range but I bump the edges of the opening. Plus I think the w56 shifts like you're rowing a boat anyway.
Btw, biggest PITA for my swap was finding a place to run the damn exhaust. I am still IFS so I had some clearance issues there. It was actually one of the main reasons I put the body lift on. Still had to re-route brake/clutch lines, but I eventually made enough room for the full 3" to make it all the way back past transfer case and cross over to the stock side.

Originally Posted by SacRunner
I have a Marlin short throw.

I can't compare it to the LCE kit, but I do like that the Marlin kit doesn't have that bolt on
That bolt on extension is my biggest concern, thanks for the insight.

In would love to get the Marlin but I haven't heard enough difference to justify paying twice as much. Plus shipping the stock shifter in for modification. Has anyone used both? Or had issues with either?

Last edited by mountainbrew; 11-23-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i have the lce (only one available at the time). it moves the whole base up, so the cutout in the floor may need to be opened up. also, the screw-on extension is a terrible idea. i welded it on once i got it set. it works fine, but i would have rather spent the money on marlin's setup
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If being without your shifter for a few days/week (I don't know) is a big deal, I'm sure you could pay a core charge when you order, then when you install their kit, send back your shifter for the core refund. Give the guys at Marlin Crawler a call, they've always been extremely helpful.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRunner
If being without your shifter for a few days/week (I don't know) is a big deal, I'm sure you could pay a core charge when you order, then when you install their kit, send back your shifter for the core refund. Give the guys at Marlin Crawler a call, they've always been extremely helpful.
this. marlin is a great source of information, help, and products. i'm sure they're willing to work with you
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
86 4Runner om617>w56

I recently finished a diesel conversion and I added a 2" body lift in the process. I'm having some slight shifter clearance issues and want to add a short throw kit. I was initially going to go with Marlin but I found the LCE one for much cheaper. Links found here...
I understand most of the differences in design ...Marlin has you send in the shifter to be modified, LCE sends an extension, etc. Seems like they both accomplish the same goal of raising the pivot point. What is everyone's experience with these? I couldn't find any recent posts comparing the two, I believe the Marlin one is only a few years old.
Side note, Marlin told me they will soon be adding a brand new billet shifter handle to the kit so you don't have to send in the old one for modification (but you DO need to send an extra $100).

Lce is the way to go Just did my 88 last week with thr short shifter I also added a weighted shift knob. Its amazing
Old 12-14-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
86 4Runner om617>w56

Lce is the way to go Just did my 88 truck 3inch body lift last week with the short shifter I also added a weighted shift knob. Its amazing gears are right next to eachother and shifter is tight one of the best upgrades I've done.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:50 PM

I ordered a LCE short shift kit for my forward shift W56 I swapped into my 87 Pickup with three inch body lift. Installation was easy and the throw is nice and short. I haven't driven it yet as I'm still working out the motor swap but it took care of the shift height issues I had with the t case and shifter. I was also missing all of the shift bushings so it was worse than usual.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As I've been looking at clutches, I came across these short throw shifter kits. I was wondering what the point would be to get one if you have a stock pickup? From what I've read most everyone that is using them has a lift or mod on there rig that affects there shifter.

Thanks
idyota