Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shoes over tight; drums frozen on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes over tight; drums frozen on

So here is what happened. I am trying to get the drums off my 89 Hilux. The bolt holes that you use to thread in bolts and pop them off are long ago stripped out and I am trying to get the drums off in various other ways I won't get into. But I got the bright idea to make sure the shoes were backed off and went the wrong way so they are tight now so you can't move the wheel. (Yea I know I am a genius.) So I am trying to get in a screw driver in the hole and release the adjuster to back off the shoes and I just can't turn the adjuster backwards. I think it may be bent or buggered up somehow. Anybody ever have to cut a drum off or blow one off with an IED or something? I am running out of patience here.

I forgot to add that I have tried heat and beating the drums like the owe me money to no avail. Also slathered them with PB Blaster, also no help.

Last edited by mrcocoa; 05-10-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You need to release the little ratchet inside that keeps the adjuster wheel from backing off by itself. You'll never back off the adjuster wheel unless you do that. It takes two screwdrivers; 1 to release the ratchet by pushing straight in and a second to turn the wheel backwards. Takes a bit to get the hang of it, but it goes pretty quick once you do. Certainly better than the other ideas you mentioned.

Just feel around in there with the first screwdriver until you feel something that you can push straight back against some spring tension. That'll be the ratchet. Hold that back out of the way and turn the wheel the opposite direction from how you got into this situation in the first place.

It's not unusual to have to back off the adjuster wheel to get the brake drums off. The shoes wear grooves in the drum that prevent it from coming off while the brakes are adjusted properly.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Having adjusted the shoes tight against the drum the only way is to back the adjuster off.

If you have damaged that in some way it will be an interesting time for all.

No matter how you get these off the collateral damage will have to be repaired.

I hope you have new drums?? New adjusters ??

If you can`t back the adjusters off the only way is going to be cut the drums in half be it with torch /cut off wheel .

If anyone has a better idea I also would be glad to hear it.

I hope you only tighten one side.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done

Cut the drums and accessed the wheel through the front. No grease on the adjuster made it impossible to back off. We were replacing everything anyway. May post some pics later.