Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Shifting Problems/Clutch ....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifting Problems/Clutch ....?

Not sure if it is the clutch or not.

Anyway, this is the situation. '94 manual v6 with a lot of '92 parts on it. Replaced clutch 2 yrs ago

For the past little while I've noticed a lack of power going up hills and stuff. I wondered of I should have replaced the rear main seal when I replaced the clutch last time, as I noticed a bit of oil on the bottom of the bell housing. It's not dripping like it was on the '92 (which definately had a rear main seal leak) but seemed to be in the same spot. Thought the clutch might have got oil on it and was slipping.
Well, coming home from work one day I started to have problems shifting. By the time I got home (about 20-30 miles) I couldn't shift into reverse or first gear. I had to start the truck off in second. Shifting into 3rd 4th or 5th was not as difficult but still hard none the less.
When I finally got the truck home I let it sit for a few days. Tried driving it today and barely managed to shift into reverse and first but did with much grinding and clunking.

The clutch pedal operates fine with no change at all. When I managed to shift into first and hold the clutch pedal down fully, it seems to still put a little power to the wheels. Not enough to stall it though. (It's about the same as though it was an auto idleing in drive.)

I did a little searching here and figured I might need to check and replace the shifter bushings. That might help a bit but it's not the whole problem. I'm just not sure if I need a new clutch or a new tranny!!

Any ideas? - Questions welcome !
Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

In either case the transmission needs to come out!!

Clutch pedal bracket break?? Hydraulics all working like they should you watched while the pedal was pushed in and out??

Well during this getting worse were you able to smell the aroma of burnt clutch??? Clutch slips it smells so good to people that sell clutches

Did you notice the rpm`s going up and the MPH staying the same.

Not knowing your driving habits it is possible to fry a clutch in a day 2 years with out a doubt

Did the transmission pop out of gear at all?? That usually happens when a bearing or several bearings are failing

Good luck
Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM

did the rpms rev and speed stay constant? can you move the transmission through the gears with the engine not running and feel normal the bearings or shift bushings are possible but as above trans will be coming out to do any repairs for the most part.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM

1. You might be right about that.

2. Bracket seems fine. I'll get someone to help me check the hydralics. (I thought it may be the master -I changed the slave last time)

3. The RPM's seem to be unchanged from normal (at least no drastic change) Sometimes the RPM's with rev for a second just after shifting, but I have a tendency to rev the engine a little myself while shifting.

4. Knowing my driving habits, I wouldn't be surprised (I fried one in a car I had in about a year)

5. Yes. But then again it always has on occasion (not with any consistancy)

6. Thanks, I'll need it!!!

And no, shifting is hard with the engine off. Feels like the shifter is sticking quite a bit.

Last edited by Cellar; 05-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging fully.
Check to make sure the linkage activating the clutch has full movement.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure the clutch fork isn't cracked in the middle. Happened on my friend's truck,same symptoms as yours. Look REALLY hard,it's hard to tell with how dark it is under there. You'll need someone to push in the clutch while you're under there.