Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

sheared off a bolt in my intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sheared off a bolt in my intake manifold

Well i am a genius! i sheared off a bolt in my intake manifold on my 3vze while trying torque down the plenum. should have been a easy fix but i messed it up when i drilled my pilot hole in what was left of the bolt. i must have gone a size too big cuz my ez-out wouldnt budge cuz it was grabbing the meat of the IM itself. so as a last ditch effort i tried to reem the hole out enough to just re-tap it. i ended up going right through the IM, like a true idiot would.

so now i have a hole through the IM and whats left of the bolt i sheared off.

so my question is: a) is the IM salvagable? b) i can get a replacement for $75, is that the better option due to the hole? c) if i do just pop in the replacement just how much will i have to remove to make the switch? d) is this a good opertunity to make some upgrades?
keep in mind this is my daily driver and i need to get it back on the road ASAP.

Thanks

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-27-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Title clarity
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
ew, that sux...

by went through, you mean through into the plentum? like as in the place where the air flows?

forgive me, but I'm not 3.0 expert

but if you did, then you've got to pull the manifold anyhow, cause now there's a bunch of metal shavings in your intake
Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks dude. I hate it when something so simple craps up.

Metal shavings burn right? lol jk.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM

its hard to tell if i went trough to the intake itself or just into a void in the manifold. i have never taken it off before, so i dont know what it looks like in there. i might have gotten lucky judging by the shape of the IM. but its hard to say.
heres a link to the assembly, from the right/top of the IM the hole i made is between the 2nd and 3rd intake holes if that makes any sense.
i cant tell if i'd have to take off the heads to do a switch, anyone know?

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...68cylinder.pdf
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Get a spare intake and swap them. Make sure you get all the metal shavings that fell through, hopfallly non fell into the intake runners...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't re-use that intake. Get yourself the new one and shop vac out your plenum REAL good. You shouldn't need to remove your heads but, then again I have never done a 3vz.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM

pulled the intake today. turns out there is quite a large void under the manifold, almost like the engineers thought that someone like me might do something like that. so fortunately no shavings made it into any of the intake chambers. thank the good yota lords!!!

it was real easy to clean up too. i re-tapped the hole i drilled out, the original size bolt is going to work fine. turns out most of them go right through anyways. this near disaster turns out to have some positive aspects in that i found that my valve cover gaskets were the oil leak culprits no the head gaskets, phew! also it gave me an opertunity to get to know my engine a lil better and REALLY give my ENTIRE intake a good cleaning.

the downside is that upon dismantle i completely destroyed the VSV and it turns out the only place to get it is through toyota for $85! so if anyone has one for a reasonable price????

the other thing that kinda sucks is i have to replace all those gaskets which work out to costing about $125 for the set. plus i took my injectors in to be tested and cleaned and refitted with new o-rings and such for about $35 each, $210 for all six so long as i dont have to replace any, which i am sure is also expensive.