Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A Search For My First Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Search For My First Toyota

Hello! My name is Alec and I am new to the forums. i'd really like some advice. I've been lurking ever since I decided to sell my 98 ford ranger 3.0 v6. I wanted something with better Gas mileage so I want a 22re 4runner. I really want a 1st gen. will take 2nd gen and still be happy.
After a lot of research I've discovered a few things.
- Most of the time you guys are helpful. So if I'm in the wrong section please point me to the correct one.
- I want a 22re over the v6 for gas mileage and head gasket issues.
- I want a 5 speed over an automatic for the extra 2mpg. I've never driven a manual but I do ride dirtbikes all the time so I figured it shouldn't be too different and want to learn.

but now I really want some help. what are 1st/2nd gen 4runners bad about? the 22re engines. I heard the plastic timing chain guides are poop and I need to get the metal ones. check the frame for rust. Is there anything else I need to know? I've been looking for a while and have a really decent chunk of change to work with. 5300$ is what I sold my ranger for. I will take it for a pre buyers inspection, is that good enough to tell if it's a lemon?

These will be my DD and will not be a crawler. Will 99.5% of the time be on road.

This both of these 4runner are 200 miles away from me and i'm willing to travel for them. What do you guys think of them? Does the price look good?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4093905506.html
I'm really interested in the sr5 with power windows because I've never had that before.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4103534237.html
Thank you
Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Alec,
Good thing you are staying away from the 3.0 I hate mine. lol and I'm running on a fully rebuilt engine with only 9k miles on the engine. It seems like you have the right information in hand. You're on the right track man. As for the plastic timing guide, they do sell some that are more heavy duty. I believe they are metal. Something to look into if you plan to do an engine rebuild.

As for the craigslist links go, my personal preference for me would go with the blue. Looks nice n clean. But thats all cosmetic and can easily be done to any rig. If the owner to the red one has proof he had the engine rebuilt then i would definitely snatch up the red one. That would be one less thing you'd have to worry about when you buy it.
One thing that a person should always assume is that when buying an old truck like these, even if the owner says its been rebuilt, always assume its a lie. Yes you will spend a a chunk of $$$ on an engine rebuild. but at least you will know for sure that you will be good for another 200k miles

Since you live in washington i would definitely look for disgusting frame rust. crawl under that truck and get a good view of everything.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM

If you have the tools i would pull the valve cover off any 22re you want to buy and inspect the timing guides, if they wiggle they are broken. also maybe pull the spark plugs and do a compression test,should only take a half hour at most. I just bought my 22re 2nd gen 4runner and it has only been driven 150 miles since i bough it because i found out it was running on 3 cylinders
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the fast responses! Redeth, I do think the blue one looks clean too! but I do have enough money to buy one with an engine already rebuilt and he doesn't talk about any engine work ever so I could save time and $ buying already rebuilt. mc360, If I get a pre buyers inspection will they check the compression? Is it work 100$ for them to do that? I think it is. mainly because I am not mechanically inclined to do that. Although I could figure out fast because my grandpa owns his own shop and plan to do any work needed there while learning about my truck.
So what does a pre buyers inspection give me? worth it? no?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 AM

Im not sure what they look for or do in a pre buy inspection but im sure you could ask them to do a compression or leak down test , why not take your grandpa with you while looking
Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 AM

He's a busy man and I don't think a 200 mile trip there just to check a car for me would appeal to him. the pre buyers inspection sounds like my route to go.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is really a hard call to make just what do you look for in a vehicle as we know very little about you.

are you the type that spends a weekend washing and waxing and polishing wheels but never opens the hood?? i know a few like that.

I don`t know all what a pre buyers inspection does or who pays for it. If they really don`t know Toyota`s it is possible to miss many things.

Have you ever driven a 4Runner Yet ?? A 22REC engine is a good engine it gets you from point A to B just not real fast. I hate to see any buy something that does not suit there needs.

Yes the rebuilt engine I looked at a 4Runner a few years ago the add in the newspaper said rebuilt engine. What was not mentioned was it was installed 90,000 miles ago.

Do you have the skills and place to change a clutch ??

Learning to drive a manual transmission on a clutch with who knows how many miles can be interesting.

Case in point I had a 4Runner with 125,000 on the original clutch let a person make a short trip around 10 miles who`s clutch skills were limited I needed to put a new clutch in before the week was done.

I wish you luck but beware you can`t own just one!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 AM

Those are all viable points you stated and Glad you did.

I have considered all of those. My dad is a decent DIY Man and grandpa made his living off of cars and retired 4 years ago, but came out of retirement when his friends wouldn't leave him alone. Installing a new clutch won't be a problem.

When I got my first truck I was a speed demon. Maybe too much too fast, but now I go the speed limit and if it can go 70 without death wobble then I am happy with it. I don't care how slow it is now.

as for the polishing. I will keep it fairly clean, As it won't get dirty too often. but I won't open the hood just for fun. If I hear a squeak, i'll grease it. but I won't play under the hood just because i'm bored. If it's not broke don't fix it!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 AM

I was in a similar boat earlier this month. I looked at literally a dozen 4runners over the span of a month, 1st generation to 3rd. It was exhausting and stressful, this was my third toyota, my second 4runner.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and grew up around two men that are also mechanically adapted, I say just go with your gut. I did, and so far I think I did pretty good. I went with a red manual 2nd gen with the 3.slow, I didn't care much for mileage (197,000), but the fact that it has a documented engine replacement done under recall by Toyota was a plus on top of the STACK of service receipts from the same dealer. But really... I was in it for the R150, clean exterior, interior and rust free frame. I LOVE/HATE the 3VZE.

I had a similar budget, I bought the rig for $3,000 and the rest went into the 3.4 swap fund

Happy hunting.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc360
If you have the tools i would pull the valve cover off any 22re you want to buy and inspect the timing guides, if they wiggle they are broken. also maybe pull the spark plugs and do a compression test,should only take a half hour at most. I just bought my 22re 2nd gen 4runner and it has only been driven 150 miles since i bough it because i found out it was running on 3 cylinders
If you came to me and asked to take my valve cover off I'd laugh and point you towards the same way you came. I've used a stethoscope or even a screwdriver to listen to a valve train.

I like the red one, has original decals, looks well maintained, and if they have papers on the engine work, seems like a good price. Maybe ask for some pics on the blue one's engine bay, 200 miles is a bit of a drive just for a look.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the blue one, except for the missing gas door.
And the body rot.

I'd think about a 3.4 swap with the extra money you save.
Toy only swaps located in oregon btw.

Last edited by donomite49; 10-06-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rebuilt or replaced engines are only as good as the parts or the person that did the job. There's a lot that can go wrong. Both of those rigs look clean. If you decide to go with the blue one, check out engnbldr.com for parts. I had a great experience with rebuilding the head on my 22r with him.

With that many miles on either of them, you are going to be looking at a laundry list of wear and tear items that should have been replaced or will need to be replaced:
suspension and steering:
steering gear box (leaks or loose)
shocks
bushings
TRE
leafsprings

brakes/wheels/axles
brake lines
wheel bearings

etc..

just ask the owner for receipts or a list of items that have been done. If you can't do the work yourself, each item is going to save you $$$.

These trucks are getting harder and harder to find clean examples of. In my opinion, A clean stock SR5 IFS 1st GEn with the 22re is bullet proof.

good luck!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
If you came to me and asked to take my valve cover off I'd laugh and point you towards the same way you came. I've used a stethoscope or even a screwdriver to listen to a valve train.

I like the red one, has original decals, looks well maintained, and if they have papers on the engine work, seems like a good price. Maybe ask for some pics on the blue one's engine bay, 200 miles is a bit of a drive just for a look.
then either you are hiding something or you would be scared of the person breaking something which is understandable but it only takes about 10 minutes to pull the valve cover, so would you send me the other way if i asked to do a compression test? that also requires pulling the plugs but would only take maybe a half hour.

people are so shady you dont know what they have or have not done, the plugs in my 4runner probably had 100,000 miles on them there was barely any electrode and they were all caked up( why not replace if your selling the vehicle since they are about 15$).from now on if i buy from craigslist i am at least doing a compression check

Last edited by mc360; 10-06-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Love the ideas! I'm not gonna save for a 3.4 anytime soon. I'm going to college in a year and will need that extra mpg and slowness to keep me out of trouble. But I do like the idea. I can do all the mechanical work without a shop just BUYING the truck without a shop makes me hesitate. I heard that 3.0 and 3.4 had the same motor mounts, that's true right? What about 22re and 3.4. It would be a shame to take apart a 22re for a 3.4 when I could buy a 3.slow for dirt and swap that. Then I will have two of them
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM

check out these two...id keep lookin,i flew to PA. from Wisconsin and drove a 88 4runner home .if you find a GOOD seller,they will send you as many pics and answer as many questions as you want!!
http://northernwi.craigslist.org/cto/4012929881.html
http://up.craigslist.org/cto/4068866586.html
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM

I like the red one. Red is my favorite color but also looks like it has the better body. You'd really just need to pay them both a visit. Pics and words only go so far. Nice bonus on the red one is the inclinometer/altimeter pod on the dash. Might be kinda fun to have if you do venture into the great outdoors. Or you can just give it to me... 22re is a good engine. I've had 3 & they all did great. I now have a 3.0 & haven
't had any problems & I average 18mpg. Good luck and welcome to the Yota family!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Only thing better then a red one is two red ones.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

Have you ever driven a 4Runner Yet ?? A 22REC engine is a good engine it gets you from point A to B just not real fast. I hate to see any buy something that does not suit there needs.
On a sidenote g52 tranny trucks are faster then w56 tranny trucks and get better mpgs in my experience
Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mc360
then either you are hiding something or you would be scared of the person breaking something which is understandable but it only takes about 10 minutes to pull the valve cover, so would you send me the other way if i asked to do a compression test? that also requires pulling the plugs but would only take maybe a half hour.

people are so shady you dont know what they have or have not done, the plugs in my 4runner probably had 100,000 miles on them there was barely any electrode and they were all caked up( why not replace if your selling the vehicle since they are about 15$).from now on if i buy from craigslist i am at least doing a compression check
So are you supplying the valve cover gasket, silicone, how's this work, I'm curious. And I would definitely send you packing if you asked me to take my valve cover off, what an odd request. If I'm buying a daily driver, and I go for a burn and it runs like crap, unless I can see a spark wire off or something obvious, I'm not interested. I'll look until I find someone that has taken good care their vehicle, and it shows in how it looks, cleanliness of interior/engine bay, how it runs and handles. Most guys that have vehicles like that also have detailed maintenance records. I'm patient, and my last toyota I bought I looked for over a year until I found what I was looking for.

Did you go for a closer look at either of the trucks? Good luck, it's exciting finding a truck that you want.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 10-06-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 AM

i had a1994 3.slow, 285k miles on the odo. 6in lift, 3in body lift, 35in tires by 12.5in wide, super swampers. loved itm, couldnt go faster then 75mph down hill haha, but i do miss that 5speed.

i now have a 1995 t100 3.4L the hp gain isnt much sinc ei had a built 3.0 but its definietly noticable. great trucks, and always for sale for the right price, text for pics if your lookin

443-280-3848