Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sas Help!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sas Help!!!!!

I have the money saved up for the solid axle swap for my 94 4runner but there are so many kits out there that all look good. But they are all different prices. What is the best kits out there? For the best price. thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM

i found it to be cheaper to piece mine together from different companies. some pieces require higher quality than others. For example, Trail-gear brake lines are garbage while marlins are much better. quality is important for this part. For parts like spring hangers and bump-stops, you can go with the cheapest since they are all basically the same.

anyway, thats just how i did it.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
i found it to be cheaper to piece mine together from different companies. some pieces require higher quality than others. For example, Trail-gear brake lines are garbage while marlins are much better. quality is important for this part. For parts like spring hangers and bump-stops, you can go with the cheapest since they are all basically the same.

anyway, thats just how i did it.
Are you going to explain your experience, or is it just one of those word-of-mouth things?

I had no problems with the trailgear kit. Those poly coated stainless steel lines work great and have held up to a decent amount of abuse. They were the perfect length, and at almost full droop they still have a good amount of slack left. I've use line lockers and lock grip pliers on mine many times, and they still don't leak. The brass fittings were of decent quality, and had no problem threading into 24+ year old fittings.

And while you probably could piece together a kit for relatively cheap, if you're making a really big order (front and rear, gears, long front slip shaft, powersteering pump kits, etc.) alot of guys will cut you a bulk discount, and give you free shipping.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM

k thanks guys..
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM

man his 4runner looks like mine

Last edited by rworegon; 08-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've peice mine together, just ordered all the parts today. My concern was COG being low. The IFS and SFA frames have different deminsions so height is greater on a converted truck than a stock. Consider this when planning your build. Yeah, I tuck a ding with shipping but got to pick and plan my build better than a pre assembled one size fits all kit.

I currently live where the trails get narrow and off chamber with a mix of rocks (large and small), mud and tree ruots. I've got different concerns than a truck from the midwest where the terrain is relatively flat.

Do more research, asking questions is good but it will never replace learning on your own. Remember people usually tought their ideas as the best, use caution and do more research. Good luck.

Allpro has the end of summer sale right now.

Wab thanks for the parts (if I haven't thanked you already)
Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Are you going to explain your experience, or is it just one of those word-of-mouth things?.
word of mouth, haven't had experiance with trail gear brake lines failing or anything. Just haven't heard any good things about them
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All sas kits are pretty much the same. So many companies that arent trail gear sell there kit just use there name. I say find the best deal for all the parts you want cause whats seperating all of them is very little but price. I love my allpro springs on my runner and there kit is nice. same with marlin and trail gears kits. Sky and frontrange also have kits.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by pepsibluefloat
word of mouth, haven't had experiance with trail gear brake lines failing or anything. Just haven't heard any good things about them
Sometimes word of mouth is all it takes, unless you got more money than brains. If you ain't rich you can only afford to do it once the right way. So I listen to word of mouth consider the source and weigh my options. But shoot if you got it so good that you can throw money away throw some my way ( was trying to agree with you Pepsi)
Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, word of mouth reputation is a delicate thing, and it can be a good thing, but it also borders on the lines of heresay if not put into an objective context. I read lots of "word of mouth" things concerning various TG parts but I have yet to see one concise piece of evidence...such as documented pictoral failures and I have asked repeatedly for tangential proof on top of these "word of mouth" claims from those that make them publicly.

I have sold I bet at least a hundred of the TG brake lines kits, as well as numerous other products, never a product failure. If ever a customer service mistake, immediately corrected. I don't just sell TG products, I use them on all my Toyotas...and I have (4) at the moment.

With all products though, people have preferences just like with auto makes, color choices and favorite foods and we tend to bad mouth things we don't personally care for or like.

I don't question the assertance that a product can fail, they are all subject to failing, I call into question the quatifying by some without substantiated evidence.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM

^Just because something's been repeated many times by others, doesn't make it true. That's idiocy at it's finest. You can try to learn from other people's experience, like those who go on to give you detailed reasons for whether they'd recommend or discourage buying of such said product or service, but when you blindly follow the advice of those who offer no statement or proof of experience, you deserve the oft times inevitable negative results you receive from having not "done your homework". Need to take everything everyone says with a grain of salt.

It's cheaper to do something right the first time through, then having to redo it again. You always get what you pay for. If you can't afford what you need all at once, piecemeal it. Why would you put your physical well-being in jeopardy because you skimped out and bought a questionable product when you could have just waited and saved until you could afford what you needed?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM

^^Ditto

Last post wasn't directed at you Brian
Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Wab I agree with some of what your saying. You always have to consider the source, Gma was right in her day and it is still right today. I made the decision on not going with the IFS illiminator kit but rather ordered parts from different venders. And yes I ordered from TG, Marlin, Allpro, And FROR. I picked and chose what I wanted. This may not work to my benefit, but I am a responsible adult and researched the topic well before I made a descision.

But when I hear multiple people say the same thing about a product it makes me leery. Warrauntees (sp?) are great but they don't recover your vehicle off the side of mountain nor do the salvage a weekend if you breakdown. Maybe it is the installer but not everyone has your level of experience.

"A smart person learns from their mistakes but a wise person learns from the mistakes of others."
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
But when I hear multiple people say the same thing about a product it makes me leery.
When I was teaching my son how to do simple addition we were using bolts. I would place the bolts out on the shop table and then I would ask him how many if I added some to the ones he had. He would then take what he had and add in the ones I gave him. He had memorized at school that 2 + 3 = 5 but it was only when he saw it happen with the bolts that he believed it and understood why.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
When I was teaching my son how to do simple addition we were using bolts. I would place the bolts out on the shop table and then I would ask him how many if I added some to the ones he had. He would then take what he had and add in the ones I gave him. He had memorized at school that 2 + 3 = 5 but it was only when he saw it happen with the bolts that he believed it and understood why.

I'll have to remember that for when my wee man gets to that age.

Some more Trail Gear heresay:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...r+axle+housing