Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sagging rear coils have to go the cheapest way!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sagging rear coils have to go the cheapest way!!

Hey guys its time for me to do something about these sagging rear coils! i was going to order the 2inch HD coils from downey but now there out of business. i would be ok with just putting in coil spacers if i can but in the end i just want the back level or higher then the front end with out spending to much money. this truck should last me a few more years as my daily driver and weekend trail buggy.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM

I liked my OME coils I had the heavy duty in the rear and even with lots of weight in the back in never sagged again. http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/gen...uctreview/ome/
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Call your local Off-Road Warehouse or 4WheelParts stores, the FJC coils they throw into the recycling pile when they do the lift kits are equivalent to the replacement coils and will net you a change from now to 2-1/2". Also any local recycler yard that deals in new vehicles should have a set. Stay away from the 80 series and Sequoia coils, they give at leats a 4" lift and then you have to get ball joint spacers to level everything off, then bigger tires, etc-etc.

Summary: Downey 2" leveling=OME leveling=FJC Coils, just cheaper, and factory to boot.

Last edited by KelleyC; 09-22-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Do not go too cheap and just get original new replacement springs like I did. I maybe got .5" out of them but they still look saggy and were $80.
I plan to go OME after I decide on what springs to put in with the SAS this winter.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

I went with the MOOG rear coils, they brought the back end up to what i think is right.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

I guessed you had a '92. Let me know if you want some pictures.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM

my 4runner is a 91. pictures would be great! how much was the rear coils and shocks? does it give you a lot better gas milage now?

Thanks again
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Even I got your pm, and I hope this is OK to post in here. I don't know if it is possible to invite someone back to YT, but it sure would be nice if Corey or someone on staff would consider it given the guy responsible's great to work with and everyone has their bad moments. I know some here would know of who this person is.

Evan, all I have to say, honestly is thank NorCalBorn, his real name's Shane, not me, he's the one who did the work for me when he was at the shop in Oakland a while back. The guy's the best service writer I ever worked around, a top notch tech, and a really good guy to have helping you with a project. He's one of those guys you never underestimate, he does a lot of consulting for some pretty big corporate entities, and is scary smart.

Kelley

As far as the tech, you need to follow Shane's directions in his build thread on what's involved. Let me find it and I'll link it in for you.

Originally Posted by Evan Houston
hi kelleyC

thanks to you i just saved a lot of money. i called my local Toyota dealer and the mechanic hooked me up with a pair of FJC coils for $40 for the pair !!! i was just wondering if there is anything i need to know before i take on this task? seeing as im new to mechanics and i know Toyotas aren't the easiest to work on. Thanks again

Evan Houston
91 4runner
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Here it is, I can't find his original write-up, but since he's edited some of his buildup page, here you go:

Swapping out the factory coils for a set of (Maybe Downey(?) Recall Edition Coils.)
..FWIW these are the same spec as the FJ-C coils if anyone wants to do a 2-3" lift rather than using 80 series or Sequoia coils.

*Since I've been getting a lot of questions about the coil swap tech, I'm including this info for reference:

I have swapped to the older style aftermarket coils for the 4Runner that are the leveling style. The current aftermarket solution is to use OME coils.

There is also a factory solution most people are not aware of, and I'm a big fan of because although not a full OME kit, it is a choice to use. You will still need to either get newer torsion bars and shocks, or choose the well made and spec'd OME Kit.

The FJC-series style I use here needs a 4-1/2" bracket bolts spaced at 3-1/2".

It took a lot of work and experimentation to figure this all out. Trust me on it, but be sure to do the line pressure test, or have a qualified mechanic do it, as you need the rear line pressure at least to 828psi, as seen here: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...r/loadsens.pdf

FJC Rear Coils are the exact same as my coils. Same rate, rating, etc. They only level the ride as does the OME level kit. You only turn the torsion bars up another 2 to 2-1/2 full turns to bring things back in line, and actually want to do this to balance out the front to rear spring rates so you do not experience front end drop/plow. Technically you change the vehicle's stature from a sagging rear to level, in effect, technically a leveling, 2 to 2-1/2 change in height out back. The LSPV bracket, as with the 80-series setup fixes the line pressure.

Those doing the 80-series lift, wanting the 3"+ lift, and going with the 4Crawler ball-joint spacers, but needing the rear springs to be stiffer can goto the Sequoia coils, use the ball-joint spacers, then either set their torsion bars back to a higher tension, or goto the aftermarket (thicker) torsion bars, again, matching up the spring rates as best possible.

Last edited by KelleyC; 10-08-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Finally found the writeup. :)
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks soon much this i needed to know. ill be ordering the OME torsion bars and shocks all around. i cant wait for this project to be done and go 4X4ing since i've been waiting 5 years to do a lift. Thanks again Cheers
Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM

before i put my fjc coils in the rear should i buy new thicker torsion bars?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 PM

so you put the fjc coils on in it will level out your rear. will you need a panhard drop bracket?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnj87
so you put the fjc coils on in it will level out your rear. will you need a panhard drop bracket?
yep and new shocks
Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 AM

im having a hard time finding a shock supplier here in Kelowna B.C (Canada) that has shocks that will fit the 2-1/2 inch lift! i was going to buy ranchos rs5000 but there only good for a 1inch lift. i really want bilstein shocks but at this point i'll take any on/off road shocks that will fit this 2-1/2" lift. i know downey off road is out of business now but can you still buy MV 12s from some one? i think that was the model name...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan Houston
im having a hard time finding a shock supplier here in Kelowna B.C (Canada) that has shocks that will fit the 2-1/2 inch lift! i was going to buy ranchos rs5000 but there only good for a 1inch lift. i really want bilstein shocks but at this point i'll take any on/off road shocks that will fit this 2-1/2" lift. i know downey off road is out of business now but can you still buy MV 12s from some one? i think that was the model name...
Do you mean 2.5" over where it sits sagged or over where it sat new from the factory?

If it just gets you level you don't need to change your shock length.

If you mean taller than stock then the rear shocks can be replaced with shocks from a 95-96 Lexus LX450. I used Rancho 5000's (Part# RS5208). It has the same lower mount and a stud for the top. Although it has 1/2" threads on the stud end, the hole in the frame is large enough. The shock is 1" longer compressed and 1.75" longer extended, a perfect replacement for a 1.5" lift. Because the stud is larger on both front and rear new shocks, make sure the grommet flange gets centered in frame hole.

If you raise your Runner don't forget to put in a brake proportioning valve adaptor. It's no fun not having rear brakes in the snow.

Last edited by James Dean; 10-20-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 AM

well im still not sure what length of shocks to buy for these new FJC rear coils! does anyone know the shock stroke ill need for these coils? Bilstein has shocks that range from 10",12",14" stroke, will any of these work for the FJC coils???? i don't know for sure if its a 2.5inch lift from stock height....
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM

well i think im just going to order the OME Kit - the rear coils so i know the shocks will fit. will i need a Panhard drop bracket for sure? the pictures above don't have it. if so where can i buy one?? what would happen if i don't put a panhard bracket in? this is going to be my first time putting in a lift kit, i hope i can get this done in a weekend because this is my daily driver. are there any special tools i need or any tips before i take this on? Thanks guys this will be my last post Cheers
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by James Dean
If it just gets you level you don't need to change your shock length.

If you raise your Runner don't forget to put in a brake proportioning valve adaptor. It's no fun not having rear brakes in the snow.
I'm trying to level mine as well. Questions that come to mind. Is the FJC coil off the new FJ's? Do all years of the new FJ's apply? If they don't require new shocks since they get the rig back to level then nothing else needs to change right? No proportioning valve, or panhard drop. That's the way I read it, am I correct?

Long story short, new FJC coils are all that is needed to correct the sag.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 08-11-2010 at 05:55 PM.