86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rusty fuel pump bracket removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rusty fuel pump bracket removal

Hey guys. I have the bed of my truck off to repaint the frame. I am looking at my fuel pump bracket and it is caked in rust. I am wondering who here has removed this bracket and how did you get the rusty bolts off. It looks to me like I am going to have to drill and extract each one. There is hardly a head left on any of the bolts. I don't need to remove the bracket any time soon thought I hope. But when it comes time for a new fuel pump this does not look like its going to be fun at all.

Here is a pic of my bracket, I can't seem to get a picture in this post....

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e.../rustyfuel.jpg
Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through this exact problem with my mother's 97 Honda Accord.
I was able to remove all of them using a small #2 Craftsmen Bolt Out. I did have to drill one out with a small left hand drill-bit but once you get the head's off all of them came out really easily. I think you'll be suprised how easy they'll come off. Spray them with copius amounts of your favorite penetrating oil.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
I just went through this exact problem with my mother's 97 Honda Accord.
I was able to remove all of them using a small #2 Craftsmen Bolt Out. I did have to drill one out with a small left hand drill-bit but once you get the head's off all of them came out really easily. I think you'll be suprised how easy they'll come off. Spray them with copius amounts of your favorite penetrating oil.

Did you only have one bolt head snap off? Looking at mine, I am kinda thinking they will all snap off.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

spray it down with pb blaster and then take a vise grip to it. I had the same issue.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

You'll just have to give it hell there Pigeon and see what happens. Spray your pb blaster on it. Give it time to soak in and then use a really small bolt-out designed for stripped heads on philips screws to run them out. You can buy a small 1/4" drive bolt out kit at sears. The kit will be with the the building tools not in automotive.
I only broke one head off...and after it broke off it was really easy to get out.
I hope yours goes as well as mine did. Good luck bro.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My fuel pump bracket was rusty but to my amazement the bolts came out without breaking. Since you have the rounded off heads I would use the above advice and use a lot of PB blaster over the period of a few days and then use the bolt outs to get the bolts off.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bolts usually come out VERY easily after some PB blaster.
See my write up: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nsight-131902/
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM

I finished painting the frame today. I am wondering if I should replace this bracket before I put the bed back on. Looking at the picture, do you guys think mine is close to springing a leak?

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e.../rustyfuel.jpg

I would just replace it anyway but I just spent $300 for a new rear bumper.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 09-22-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM

I would definitely change it. Those hard lines out of the cover are garbage. I changed mine when I built my bed and smeared the new one with grease so I didn't ever have to mess with it again.

Spray it down with PB and give them a try...usually when they break, there is enough to get a visegrip on the bolt thread to turn them out.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
I just did this ...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ghlight=por-15

I used vice grips to "crack" them loose and they came off quite easliy .. it was the pressure line that is/was the problem .. There was NO way I could crack it loose , as it torqued to ~ 40ft/lbs at the factory .

Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and by a new bracket and related parts. What started out as being a $70 frame painting project turned into a $600 project. I decided a new bumper was needed since the old one was rotten and the bolts snapped trying to remove it from the frame $300. Then I got looking at the fuel pump bracket and decided it was looking like it was going to spring a leak soon, another $300.

The parts will be at the dealer in the morning, I am soaking the bolts in penetrating oil in the meantime.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Yeah, after laying out that much money, you're going to need lube for more than just removing rusty bolts.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 PM

Well, the job is done. POR15 the frame, new bumper, and new fuel pump bracket. Like you guys said the fuel pump bracket bolts came off very easy with a day soaking in penetrating oil. I would have never thought bolts that rusty could come off without snapping. I think my bracket was very close to developing a leak because a crack developed when I took it off. The pipe was about as thin as a soda can in the area.

I didn't need to use the high pressure hose I bought, as I was able to disconnect the old one. Just a note for anyone doing this, I used 14mm and 19mm crows foot flare nut wrenches with foot long breaker bars to disconnect the high pressure line. I don't think I would have been able to disconnect the coupling without these as it was rusted pretty good.

POR15 frame....
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...styfuel001.jpg

New bracket....
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...styfuel002.jpg

New bumper...
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...styfuel003.jpg
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

nice job!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 AM

I have had to do this before a couple of times as they make so many different fuel pump brackets. Just remove the rusty pressure line by drilling it out. Replace with a piece of 1/4 brake line. Remove the brake fitting and replace it with a fitting of of a Ford PVC tube. You can find those in that section of the Auto parts store that have all of those "HELP" parts.It is a maetal tube about 5" long with a fitting on it. This is the same as the fuel line fitting and only cost a couple of dollars. You can replace all of the tubes and fittings for about 15 bucks.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM

I had the same problem with my 87. I could smell the gas but had no idea were it came from. So i took the bed off and saw those gas lines on top of the tank were rusted. They looked pretty bad and one was completely rotted and had a leak. So i took it of and one bolt broke but i was able to get it out. The lines cost me $28 from toyota. Nice Job on the painted framed.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM

I replaced mine too, the hard line was in 2 pieces, and looked like swiss cheese. The bolts came off easily, even though they looked the same. Although, my fuel pump bracket was only a little over $100. Did you get a new pump as well? Mine also had shorter hard lines.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Cyberman; 09-25-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
I replaced mine too, the hard line was in 2 pieces, and looked like swiss cheese. The bolts came off easily, even though they looked the same. Although, my fuel pump bracket was only a little over $100. Did you get a new pump as well? Mine also had shorter hard lines.

My bracket was $160, the high pressure hose was $65 (which it turns out I was able to keep the old one on), and the gasket and bolts were another $10. When I picked up the parts they gave me a 25% discount for some reason. I thought real hard about replacing the pump, but I didn't want the spend another $250. I figured now that the bolts have been replaced I can pop the bracket off pretty quick if I need to. Did you guys put new pumps in when you replaced the bracket?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
my pump was ok ... so I reused it ...

BUT for future RE & RE .. did you NEVERSIZE the new connections ??

Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 PM

My wallet was empty, so I reused the pump...

Quick Reply: Rusty fuel pump bracket removal