Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

RTV Silicone question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTV Silicone question

Just got finished replacing the output shaft seal on my transfer case. I put some RTV on the splines. Can I drive the vehicle now or should I wait 24 hrs for it to cure like the tube says?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 PM

u will be better off waiting..
Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Just got finished replacing the output shaft seal on my transfer case. I put some RTV on the splines. Can I drive the vehicle now or should I wait 24 hrs for it to cure like the tube says?
The correct way is to read the full cure time on the tube.

James
Old 11-26-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I think I drove it almost immediately after.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 AM

its dry now.. so you have no worries
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 AM

I drove mine after 4 hours, no leaks
Old 11-27-2010, 06:53 AM

usually with rtv, on a non coolant area.. it can bolt up and go.. but its better to wait some time when you are messing around with sometihn ting on your coolant system.. ie water pump, or thermosat cover... in my experance coolant and rtv does no mix very well and well cause leaks if not dried properly
Old 11-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
usually with rtv, on a non coolant area.. it can bolt up and go.. but its better to wait some time when you are messing around with sometihn ting on your coolant system.. ie water pump, or thermosat cover... in my experance coolant and rtv does no mix very well and well cause leaks if not dried properly
I think it's more the pressure in the coolant system that causes the fail. it pushes the uncured sealant out since it's still soft
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM

I would wait. I just put a new valve cover gasket on with the half moon pieces and didn't let it sit long enough and the rear one started leaking oil bad.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Next time to do a job pick up a can of Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. It's in a black can and it's not cheap but there is no cure time needed. Simply bolt up and go. It's good for everything except for sealing fuel related parts. It's the best stuff I've ever used and I use it all the time.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilux808
Next time to do a job pick up a can of Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. It's in a black can and it's not cheap but there is no cure time needed. Simply bolt up and go. It's good for everything except for sealing fuel related parts. It's the best stuff I've ever used and I use it all the time.
You must mean Permatex® the Right Stuff® 1 Minute Gasket.

Seals instantly and fits any application. Just torque and go! This handy size package contains enough material to completely replace two or three large cut gaskets with long-lasting, black elastomeric formed-in-place rubber gaskets you custom fit to any shape or size. Ideal for all non-fuel sealing applications, 1 Minute Gasket is superior to most OE gaskets and fleet-tested to be leak-free in more than 5 million miles of heavy commercial use. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C tt o 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Sensor-safe.
Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker and Permatex® the Right Stuff® Grey Gasket Maker both have a 1 minute cure time technically.

Return equipment to service immediately when you make leak-proof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Specifically designed to perform under higher torque loads caused by engines with closely spaced bolt patterns (typically import vehicles). This product is blowout resistant, allowing leakproof gaskets to be made and put into service in just one minute. Sensor-safe, the Right Stuff® Grey seals instantly, forming a reliable, long lasting elastomeric rubber gasket that outperforms precut gaskets. OEM specified by Honda, Nissan and Mazda. This product is resistant to powertrain fluids (oil, coolant, and ATF) and operates in environments to 450°F (232°C) continuous; 500°F (260°C) intermittent.

However, the best choice for this application would be Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Sealant.

OEM specified. Specially formulated to withstand the harsh gear oil environment found in differentials and transfer cases. Because gear oil has friction modifiers that break down normal RTV and cause leaking, this specialty silicone has been tested to OEM specifications to ensure complete sealing. As a gasket maker it seeks and seals leak paths that cut gaskets cannot.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ket_makers.htm

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM

I meant "The Right Stuff" in the black can but either one will do. The time it takes to bolt anything up will be more then a minute. Like Permatex says it can be returned to service immediately. They tested this product thoroughly when in development.

Even if you had to use this for differentials you would be fine. I don't feel that you need to buy the gear oil RTV sealant if you already have a can of the "Right Stuff". This stuff is really my favorite gasket maker, used it for almost everything when i changed my cylinder head and dropped the oil pan.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Depends entirely on the humidity and ambient temperature..
I put a blob on some cardboard to test and left it next to the shop door (below 30) and it was still tacky the next day.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've used Permatex® Sensor-Safe High-Temp Red, Ultra Black®, and Ultra Copper® to seal everything from valve covers, oil pans, coolant passages, exhaust pipe connections, to transmission/transfer case housings, differential/axle housings, you name it.

IMO, they all work just fine for pretty much whatever you want to use them for, provide you use them for applications within their temperature ratings. I did have a differential sealed with Ultra Black® eventually start to leak on me(it took a couple years though). Which is why I tend to believe what they state about gear oil causing break down/degradation to normal RTV. I still have ultra copper sealing both my front and rear diffs at present. Should either start to leak I'll definitely be switching to the Permatex gear oil RTV for insurance against it reoccuring.

There's also RTV made by Permatex® for water pump & thermostat housings and and a new one automatic transmissions too.

Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone. Temperature range of -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.
Permatex® Automatic Transmission RTV Sealant

OEM specified. Developed with U.S. automotive OEMs and complies with extended warranty requirements. It resists aging, weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking. Benefits include improved transmission oil resistance, good adhesion while retaining flexibility, sensor-safe, noncorrosive and can be used as a gasket maker or dressing. Non-flammable, non-toxic, low odor.
Permatex®, whichever type, is the only brand of RTV I will use.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

that permatex is all i ever have used and it does wonders...