Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rough surging when in gear at part throttle. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough surging when in gear at part throttle. Help!

I am still working out the bugs in my brand new 22re. One of which is a strange, very rough bucking/ surging from the motor when at partial throttle. It feels like a major ignition or fuel cut but tries to keep running.. It is a super rough feeling and it feels as if it'll break a motor or trans mount if it continues. It only happens either when I am slowly accelerating or just maintaining speed, with the throttle in a fixed position, usually until about 50-60 mph. If it starts to do that, all I need to do is accelerate harder and it'll clear up.

What has been replaced during rebuild-

EngnBldr Street RV head w/ 268 cam (stock intake & exhaust)
Brand new Toyota TPS (yes it's adjusted correctly)
Rebuilt injectors by RC Engineering
Brand new Toyota ignition components (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor)
Coolant temperature sensor
O2 sensor
New (replacement from low mileage car) throttle body, cleaned meticulously
Brand new Toyota PCV valve
Cleaned and tested AAV/IACV

Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
not sure what year it is, but for the early 22re's, there is a problem with corroded connections in the wiring harness, where it was spliced by the factory, at the junction where the 4 injector wires split off from the main engine harness.

the symptoms of this failure are what you describe, but milder, i wouldn't say that it would break any motor mounts, and with my truck, it got worse over time, until the truck pretty much quit running, and i had to get it towed home... it's the only time that this truck has ever left me stranded, and it was not easy to figure out the real problem.

do a search for this corroded harness issue... if the truck is a keeper, you are going to want to check those splices even if it's not the cause of this particular problem.