Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Roof rack for 95 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack for 95 4runner

My 95 4runner did not come with the factory installed roof rack at all. Ive been wanting to get some sort of roof rail system so that i can install a half basket or some up top.

Today i called the toyota dealership and they told me that the roof rack for my truck was discontinued and that they couldnt get it for me.

Any advice on where to find the roof rack rail system for my truck

If anyone has an opinion on roof top baskets, something i could put some lights on and extra gear in, id appreciate that.

Pics would be sweet too.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 PM

go to yakima.com ... they sell tracks that bolt to the roof... just like factory, and you dont have to remove the headliner to install them. Input what you want to carry on the website and it will give you all the P/N... then go to your local bike shop or REI and spend a lot of $$$
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe check out the pick and pull/junk yards? I gave up on the roof rack idea for my 4runner.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Ummm, anybody wanna mention that there's a minor fit issue on some of the 94&95's. If you have the oportunity I'd suggest going through a local shop, and have it test fit first. On my friends it fit fine, but on mine, the doors needed to be adjusted at the hinges, so they'd close without leaking.

IMHO

Ideas:

A. Have a Thule or Yakima Railset installed in your roof by a local shell shop.

B. Use the Rail Towers and Load bars of your choice, with the appropriate basket.

**If you want, pm me your location, since it's not in your sig, and I can either offer to ship, or help test fit with mine, so you don't have to spend the money yet until sure it all fits well.

Personally, I am planning on switching to the rail system, with some good sealant, just so I can adjust the spacing for various things easier, rather than just the specified (41"??) maximum spread available with a door jamb tower set-up.

What I'm using: Thule 400XT Towers, #111, Foot Pack, and LB48's with the M.O.A.B., look up Joey's (UKMyers) set-up im his basket mod post in the tech section, just like my set-up, and pretty sure what you're looking into.

Also: Thule's "Rack My Car" Link

**I might even be convinced to sell my old set-up off for a killer discount, as it's slightly used, but basically new/less than 3 months old.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Got parts off a couple of Mini Vans.

Harbor Freight has a Thread sert gun to help install the side rails.

Cut your cross ribs to size.

Have a short write up over on Ultimate Yota. Think its in my weekend mods thread.

Name:  DSCF1585.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  DSCF1578.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  DSCF1589.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  DSCF1588.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AuburnRunner
go to yakima.com ... they sell tracks that bolt to the roof... just like factory, and you dont have to remove the headliner to install them. Input what you want to carry on the website and it will give you all the P/N... then go to your local bike shop or REI and spend a lot of $$$
If done right the first time, it's money well spent, and an investment, as their systems are even a bit transferable from vehicle to vehicle with the correct roofline adapters.

Heck look (prior post) even Reggie 00 did it in a short amount of time. If you really wanna get O/E-ish, get the parts off of a 4Runner or Toyota Mini-Van!!

(Reggie 00- post the link up, as I couldn't find the linkset until I logged into Ult.)

Also, exactly why I suggested a local shell shop, REI or your LBS (Local Bike Shop) is not allowed, or likely insured to modify a vehicle. Their insurances are different, so even technically, only certified techs, yes I got certified, can consult, touch, or even install a system on your vehicle. *There's a horror story of one shop near me having to replace roof structure parts because some rookie without the experience or certification got happy with a De-Walt Drill and Impact Gun. The shop almost lost their insurance, and definitely lost a customer in the process.

**Here's what the rack rep said:
"if you do it yourself, be sure to locate the factory roof brace supports, as it's a stronger mount than just the standard roof tin. Be sure you drill once, and don't compromse the roof structure, or braces in any way."

Last edited by Four Runner; 08-16-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2218.0

The pieces are actually off a dodge and pontiac mini vans. Was like $16 and i have both a spare cross upper and lower rail.

Didn't really take that long. Just take your time. I had one insert get kind of tweaked and it galls the threads so i just filled it with RTV for now.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Yakima ones. they come in 3 sizes, 60 inch, 52 and 42 inch. I got the shortest ones, the two longer ones may interfere with the sunroof (if you have one).

I did not have a factory rack or rails, drilling the mounting holes was a little nerve wracking, but the install instructions were great.

The hardware was cool and has held up well. they were about $120 or so from REI.

You will still need the towers and cross bars though.

I got a Yakima basketcase (smaller than the load warrior) from a junk yard for $25 bucks. Look for Yakima and Thule parts at the local wrecker, sometimes you can get a deal.

Last edited by dlbrunner; 08-17-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Both Thule and Yakima make tracks with blind fasteners so you don't have to drop the headliner. Thule even includes two drill bits and a special tool to expand the fasteners in the roof. They work similar to a drywall fastener. You can buy them in different lengths and I've cut them down to custom size. They are easy if you take your time, the two areas not to rush are measuring and the installation of the nutserts. If they spin in the roof you're in trouble. Give me a call at the # in my signature link if you have ?'s

Matt
Old 08-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
Give me a call at the # in my signature link if you have ?'s

Matt
Ahh, so another master steps in. That or take it into have Matt do it if he's closer to you.

*Yes, I cheat sometimes and have people visit the site, www.backcountryracks.com to figure out just what they want. Hi Matt!!
Pretty much figure if I/We havn't done it out here, they have.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Hi Shane,
Good to see another rack expert here. There's a number of Yakima and Thule dealers here and I'm always amazed at some of the advice they give. It's fun doing these type of installs, not the routine out of the box fit. Where are you out of? And thanks for sending folks our way.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks Mattabilly, i live in raleigh, NC. I work at a shop that is a Thule carrier. So i could get everything at a wholesale price. I talked to the guys at work, and they didnt really know too much about it. Ill go look on the website and see the options. I really want to have a basket it up there and some lights, it just sucks i dont have rails. Thank you