Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Roof Basket Direct Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Basket Direct Mount?

I've been searching for 2 hours now and can't find any pictures. I just picked up a new roof basket for my 4Runner. I don't have the factory installed roof rack or rails. Does anyone have any pictures on how they 'directly' mounted their basket to their roof? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Alot of people I have seen used bolts and nuts.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by flecker
Alot of people I have seen used bolts and nuts.
Thanks for replying. I remember seeing that done somewhere on here but I just can't find the pictures to see how he/she did it. He must have just drilled up through the cross member do you think?

And I love your 'location' note...even I didn't think you ever saw snow.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered a basket (yakima load warrior) for my runner, should show up thursday; I have the roof rack system which is just 2 rails bolted into the roof w/ 2 cross members. previous owner had ski racks on them, anyone want old beat up ski racks with no key??

Get out the power drill I guess, I would be pretty leary of drilling holes in the roof though, let us know what you end up with
Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by aa1911
I just ordered a basket (yakima load warrior) for my runner, should show up thursday; I have the roof rack system which is just 2 rails bolted into the roof w/ 2 cross members. previous owner had ski racks on them, anyone want old beat up ski racks with no key??

Get out the power drill I guess, I would be pretty leary of drilling holes in the roof though, let us know what you end up with
I really wish I had at least what you have. So is the load warrior going to be mounted on rails or how do you plan on mounting them without the ski racks?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM

this is what i did.

Name:  4runner042.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  4runner038.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  63.0 KB
i put reinforcement plates on the inside and siliconed it and have no leaks. looking back i should have run the roof mounts all together down each side for better weight distribution on top.

Last edited by E-ROC; 06-22-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c'mon one project at a time! ....just messing with ya

Personally I would install the roof rails and then go from there, but that's me... and you're a 2nd gen.

Some of us with 3rd gens are messing with Unistrut-electrical conduit but again to mount to the factory rails but skipping use of the cross bar.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I'd hate to drill into my roof for fear of leaks.

I bought a Thule basket off Craigslist for about $80 and the clamps that came with it fit my luggage rack perfectly. Have you thought about just going to the junkyard and picking up a luggage rack?

Also I Yakima makes crossbars that fit in the rain gutters of your 2nd gen...
Attached Thumbnails Roof Basket Direct Mount?-basket1.jpg   Roof Basket Direct Mount?-basket3.jpg  

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 06-22-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by E-ROC
this is what i did.

i put reinforcement plates on the inside and siliconed it and have no leaks. looking back i should have run the roof mounts all together down each side for better weight distribution on top.
Now see, this is sort of the idea I am looking at right now. The brackets that come with my basket are for if you already have a roof rack system on the truck.
What do you mean when you say that you should have ran the roof mounts all together down each side? You only have 4 mounts? That is what I was going to do, only use 4.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE!
I'd hate to drill into my roof for fear of leaks.

I bought a Thule basket off Craigslist for about $80 and the clamps that came with it fit my luggage rack perfectly. Have you thought about just going to the junkyard and picking up a luggage rack?

Also I Yakima makes crossbars that fit in the rain gutters of your 2nd gen...
I have gone to the junkyard and nobody has a luggage rack.
I think I'm not understanding something here, I don't have rain gutters, it is a smooth top. The only place I could mount something forward would be at my 4 doors and, I can't do that because this is where my light-bar is located.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM

i have six mounting points (three per side). what i meant was that i should have run flat stock from the rear mount to the front similar to the way the factory mounts/slider things do, however i have not had any problems yet and its been LOADED a time or two. just remember to silicone the mounts liberaly for leak prevention, then trim off the excess. if you need any more detailed pics or help with ideas concocting let me know. by the way you know you can always incorporate your lights into the rack as i did and sell your light bar to cheapen the project. $.02

Last edited by E-ROC; 06-23-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM

i have six mounting points (three per side). what i meant was that i should have run flat stock from the rear mount to the front similar to the way the factory mounts/slider things do, however i have not had any problems yet and its been LOADED a time or two. just remember to silicone the mounts liberaly for leak prevention, then trim off the excess. if you need any more detailed pics or help with ideas concocting let me know. by the way you know you can always incorporate your lights into the rack as i did and sell your light bar to cheapen the project. $.02
Thanks E-ROC, I get you now. What I have decided to do is, I have 2 bars that I had on a 'mushroom' style luggage rack that I use to have mounted forward on the roof prior to having my lightbar. I plan on hard mounting them through my roof and then I will be able to quickly mount/dismount my basket when ever I need to.
I just finished making up 4 4in long x 2in wide (because that was an old piece of flat stock I had laying around) brackets for the inside to help support the roof. I'll be running back into town tomorrow to get some good silicone for the 4 holes. What I thought was silicone was only that clear caulking for the eves....won't do!
I would really appreciate anyother pic's you might have of what you did on the inside (if you have them, if not, no worries) and/or your whole rack.

The one I just bought is called 'Sportsrack', which I picked up at a local automotive store for $275.00cdn. Nice thing about it is that it is 61/2in tall and pretty lightweight, approx 40lbs give or take. It almost looks exactly like a BajaRack
Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Heres mine bolted through the roof
Name:  CIMG6409.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  106.3 KB
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Heres mine bolted through the roof
Thanks buddy, that looks good too. On the inside, do you have a headliner?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Yup. I ran 1 inch metal strap across the inside so the bolts wouldnt pull through. I drive through alot of low hanging trees
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Yup. I ran 1 inch metal strap across the inside so the bolts wouldnt pull through. I drive through alot of low hanging trees
Right on...at least I'm on the right track for the inside support brace's.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM

i dont have pics of the inside mounting, but make sure you plan out before you drill due to roof supports, sun roofs, and whatnot. one more pic for now.
Name:  4runner041.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  51.6 KB
Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM

i dont have pics of the inside mounting, but make sure you plan out before you drill due to roof supports, sun roofs, and whatnot. one more pic for now.
Hey, nice looking rig you've got there. Thanks for that pic. Yep, everything is planned out and now completed. I just got in from my garage now and downloading all my pics so that I can make my 'buildup thread'.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, that looks pretty cool mounted to the roof; I guess it would be the same as mounting rails for a universal rack anyway... just mounted my new yakima load warrior up and tested it out this weekend in the cascades, love it. it really frees up a lot of space inside; the only issue is overhead clearance but not too bad really; the direct roof mount will give you about 4" of extra clearance vs. mounting to a stock rack system. lets see some pics when you get 'em loaded! thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by aa1911
yeah, that looks pretty cool mounted to the roof; I guess it would be the same as mounting rails for a universal rack anyway... just mounted my new yakima load warrior up and tested it out this weekend in the cascades, love it. it really frees up a lot of space inside; the only issue is overhead clearance but not too bad really; the direct roof mount will give you about 4" of extra clearance vs. mounting to a stock rack system. lets see some pics when you get 'em loaded! thanks
Thanks man. It turned out exactly how I was HOPING it would and only took a few hours to complete. Yeah I will have to load it outside of my garage because the top of the basket is only 2in shorter that the top of my lights which I only have about 3in clearance getting into my garage door. When I had the garage built, I had them put in an extra door panel for that very purpose, I should have went 12in higher, oh well, no worries, it's not like I'm going to be loading 3 feet of kit in the basket.

As soon as I get it loaded, I'll take a pic to show you how it looks. Thanks for your reply.