YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

rolled on paint

[IMG]
I rolled this paint on, What do you think ????
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
99 SR5 V6 Auto 4WD, deck plate, TRD exhaust,Sonoron steel 7.2, Waag Nerfs, Wet Okole's, Load warrior, Optima red top// 86 Turbo SR5 4Runner, TEC T3 turbo,2.5 " exhaust, ARB suspension, Rustoleum paint (Money pit)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

elton hostler
Send a message via AIM to Elton Send a message via MSN to Elton
looks pretty good ..... need more pics and some close ups
97 honda civic lx 4dr ls vtec
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to keithguts Send a message via MSN to keithguts Send a message via Yahoo to keithguts
looks real good to me, but really hard to tell by a pic. need some closeup shots for a good answer.

MY PICS

95 4runner 3.0 auto 4x4

My Rig
My Rig
RangerMan
Enjoy
Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice Paint!

Swerks,
did you see the '69 dodge challenger that was painted with a roller? I think I have the thread saved somewhere, but I'd like to hear more about your experience.

'98 4Runner Limited
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 86SR522REEFI
what did you use. we need a write up. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Nielsen
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

'69 charger with rolled on paint

Swerks,
I found the thread I was referring to in my previous post. If you haven't seen it check here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

'98 4Runner Limited
Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looks great to me. Even if is isnt perfect up close it is doing its job, and keeping the water off the steel.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

If you keep clicking on the picture it should get larger. I did follow the procedure outlined in the 69 charger post on the mopar forum. its professional rustoleum paint (smoke grey ) took me four days two coats a day with eight hrs min. dry time between coats.
99 SR5 V6 Auto 4WD, deck plate, TRD exhaust,Sonoron steel 7.2, Waag Nerfs, Wet Okole's, Load warrior, Optima red top// 86 Turbo SR5 4Runner, TEC T3 turbo,2.5 " exhaust, ARB suspension, Rustoleum paint (Money pit)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Figit090 Send a message via AIM to Figit090 Send a message via MSN to Figit090 Send a message via Yahoo to Figit090
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronW View Post
Swerks,
I found the thread I was referring to in my previous post. If you haven't seen it check here:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

OMG that's awsome!! i have a gun and air so i'd proabaly still spray but... the price!!!! its incredible!

could you spray this stuff? i read mentions of 30 bux a gallon or something? that's cheap i think...right?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Question

Swerks,
Did you wet sand the paint between coats or did you just paint it?

'98 4Runner Limited
Old 09-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Self Leveling Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figit090 View Post
OMG that's awsome!! i have a gun and air so i'd proabaly still spray but... the price!!!! its incredible!

could you spray this stuff? i read mentions of 30 bux a gallon or something? that's cheap i think...right?
Figit090,
I read much of the thread, but not all of it. Anyway, the guy with the '69 charger was asked if the same or better results could be had by spraying the same paint instead of rolling. If I remember correctly, he said that spraying was not as effective because: 1) some of the paint never hits the car (Some is lost? I don't know I don't paint cars.); 2) spraying kicks up dust; and 3) the paint is self leveling so with using the high density foam rollers it should go down pretty smooth for a roll on job.

BTW, I like your Supra.

'98 4Runner Limited
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Figit090 Send a message via AIM to Figit090 Send a message via MSN to Figit090 Send a message via Yahoo to Figit090
thanks man i should have new pics on my cardomain (link below) kinda soon...take a week or so though.

but anyhow.....

yeah for spraying its "atomized" and some of it will never make it to the spot you intend. if you do not cover the WHOLE car when spraying you can get paint flecks that float from one corner of the car to the opposite one at the other end of the car! all depends on air current probably..but it definitely doesnt get as accurately applied as painting.

i could see the roller being good if you took your time, with spray you can take many light coats and totally avoid dripping... but whatever...i would think both would look great.... and if i ever got a truck that needed paint i'd probably do the method used here sounds kinda fun.... and i have a gravel driveway so dust is a major concern in my garage. last time i did painting though i draped butcher paper around the car for a nice little sanitary area...lol.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I did do some wet sanding and the whole process was not so much fun after the second coat or so, but you cant beat the price.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Hey Swerks,

Did you roll the rear cap as well? Is that gloss black? Mine needs it bad. I'm thinking I'd go with semi-gloss black if it's available.

Thanks, CRamsey
Old 09-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nice job on the paint. I read the same mopar thread and it prompted me to do the same..

Sorry to hihack..

I sprayed mine in the wet grass my backyard. I wet sanded between coats 2 and 3 but haven't done it after coat 4 yet... You do need to do alot of masking off.... Today I'm going to wash it after wheeling it hard on the weekend (3weeks after painting - thinned to 1 cup mineral spirits and the rest of the 1 quart sprayer cup with paint) So we'll see how well the paint holds up after washing the sandy mud off.... You do only get 4 coats if you spray it (with very little left for touch-ups - maybe half a quart)

Here's a picture...to compair the 2 different methods
Click the image to open in full size.
I'll take one later to show how well it holds up after washing the sand off...

:wabbit2:
90Runner (R.I.P)

Currently building a 90 4Runner 3L Auto. BJ Spacers, 4" ProComp Coils, Rancho Shocks, Spool, 4:88's etc..
Sontt Build Thread http://www.sontt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3256

Last edited by 91 4Runner; 09-27-2006 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

the cap is gloss black rustoleum
Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Nice job...I really dig it. I am in a similar boat (don't know how to paint, no compressor, etc.) and I think rolling on paint is awesome. I might need to do something to it in the spring (after all the salt-uh). Great job!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think the benefit from rolling is you dont have to worry about overspray, you can paint a door, and go to lunch, then is you dont wanna paint for a week, you car issnt covering tape and paper, just drive it.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Contributing Member

how did you prep the fiberglass top?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Cleaning the fiberglass top...

I found a good way to clean the top. I had waxed it a while back. Once the wax dried I had a hard time getting it all off due to the texture of the top and it wound up looking very chalky. The remedy I found was to get a can of 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover spray from the Walmart automotive section, and some of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads. They're like white sponges, maybe 3x5x1 inches. Spray the 3M stuff on, let it sit for a minute or so, then rub it real good with the pads. Damned if it didn't take all that old wax off. It's very clean now, but you might want to prep it a little more for paint. My .02....
Old 09-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, gray, job, moparts, paint, painting, pickup, ranger, red, roll, rolled, rustoleum, safety, smoke, truck