86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roll Bar, Shell Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Bar, Shell Combo?

So I've decided that I want to put roll bars in my truck. But at the same time, I also want a shell on the back. I was thinking something along the lines of perhaps a "soft" shell, that can easily be removed, or replaced, but would there be a way to put some roll bars in that? I was thinking about getting low profile rollbars, that would go just underneath the soft shell top? kind of like turning the truck into a convertable 4Runner. Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Use the roll bar out of a 4runner
Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^that would look stupid..lmfao

do a search on here for "soft topper" or something similar...lots of choices bud
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Soft Topper? And what about the Rollbar thing? Should I just try to find a top that would go over the roll bars?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why dont you just put a light bar on top of a aluminum or fiberglass topper? I dont really see the point of putting a roll bar on and then covering it up with a topper...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar idea when I still had the 86 pickup. I got a roll bar out of a first gen 4runner and was going to mount it in the bed underneath my fiberglass top. I've seen it done on other pickups and it looks pretty neat. You'll have to cut a little off the roll bar, or add some to it depending on which way you look at it, since the inner fenders on the pickup bed are taller than the inners in the 4runner.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm not putting the rollbars in the truck for cosmetic reasons. That's not what they're for, though they look cool. This is my first pickup truck, and I know I'm going to try something stupid, and the rollbar will likely save me hundreds of dollars worth of damages. I was also thinking about getting some stronger front and rear bumpers on it. Like those real tough tube ones. (not sure what exactly they are called)

I want the campershell on it, because there isn't a whole lot of room in the cab, and where I live, rain is not a fun thing to deal with in the wintertime. So, it's nice to, if I have to, have plenty of dry space to put something like a backpack, or some groceries or whatever.

I thought about the 4runner roll bar idea. I've seen rollbars in a 4runner and it looks cool for THAT vehicle, but when the top was removed, as a truck it would look pretty stupid lol.
I was thinking a canvas topper, that maybe went up OVER the roll bars. I don't have much in the way of tools and I think shaving pieces off the rollsbars probably wouldn't end well with me. lol I dunno.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:09 AM

I can't believe you just said that a 4runner without a top looks stupid......... You aren't going to last long around here buddy.

Just kidding. You may want to see if someone can build one for your specific application. When I was going to put the runner bar in my truck it was so I'd not crush my entire topper and all the stuff in the bed when/if I rolled it.

Luck!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM

Lol I got scared for a second. >.< The rollbars in a 4runner are at the way back rear of the vehicle. So that would be like...putting rolls bars in the wrong part of the truck lol.

I figured I'd have to get something custom built. That'll be expensive. Maybe I'll just go for a rollbar for now, and like throw whatever I don't want to get wet, into a large open toolbox or something.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by A_CavanaughWebb
Lol I got scared for a second. >.< The rollbars in a 4runner are at the way back rear of the vehicle. So that would be like...putting rolls bars in the wrong part of the truck lol.

I figured I'd have to get something custom built. That'll be expensive. Maybe I'll just go for a rollbar for now, and like throw whatever I don't want to get wet, into a large open toolbox or something.
Oh now I see what you're getting at. You want something that sits right behind the cab, like a light bar, that will help protect the cab also. You might be better off to look into buying a used light bar to use as a template for what you want. The more I think on it though you might need to save up some money for a soft top (I can't think of anyone that makes one right off although I've seen them) and then before you do any serious wheeling have someone build some better cross bars for it that are heavier steel.

Keep us up to date on what you end up doing and good luck!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i would do a little more research my friend, only because if you want a usefull roll bar to protect the cab, i think its going to need to mount to the bed of the truck, if you do that the roll bar will need to be as high if not a little higher then the cab. If the roll bar goes beyond the cab you may have a hard time finding a shell or topper to cover it and still be flush with the cab like most of them are, i have seen shells that are taller then the cab but then your going to loose the shell before your roll bar does any good, seems like its time for some fab work or a whole roll cage......
Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those soft toppers are perdy friggin expensive im thinking. i fyou got a welder or kno anyone that does do a littel experimenting, or do it old school and pic up the pencil and paper to draw some ideas

http://www.softopper.com/Softopper_M...uckDetails=All Years Toyota Older Models (pre-tacoma) 72-74 inch bed

dont know if this is what your talkin about or not but i figured id post it up. don tthink u could get a roll bar to work with this tho..

Last edited by yoder519; 12-28-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 PM

I looked into the soft top, and for one that I like, it looks like it's going to be like 1200 dollars. Of course, that was just one or two sites. Though with an idea of what they look like, and the thought of a full roll cage, perhaps I could do a more butch version of the old Army Half-ton trucks, with the arches over the bed, with canvas pulled over that...For example, a rollbar at the cab, and connectedto that (in the fashion of say a utility rack) another bar near the back of the bed. At least it would be one piece, and probably wouldn't look lame with the canvas gone. From there, I could bolt some holes into the tops of the bars, and fashion some sort of..quick release turn handle....XD wow my mind is going a mile a-minute. I'll have to draw this out or something...Thanks a lot guys, you've certainly inspired some creativity.

I guess to get the best idea of what I'm talking about...take a look at this. Obviously it's a hummer, and I'm not going to be turning the doors into plastic, Just that very back piece, with roll bars underneath. http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor...v-humvee_2.jpg

Like a covered wagon on mini-toyota sized steroids lol. But the quick release idea on the hummer seems pretty cool to me....then later...I can mount a potato cannon to the top...bmwahahahh...maybe not.