Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Right I'm gonna post first!! (Tire question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right I'm gonna post first!! (Tire question)

Hi Guys, I have a little question for ya'll, I am going for a new set of tires on my 94 4 Runner and I cant decide what to go for.

These are my 2 options at the moment:-

A) go for BF Goodrich AT KO's at 31 10.50 x 15's (same size as i am currently running, but much better quality tire)

B) go for Falken Landir AT's at a size of 32 11.50 x 15 heres a link to them Tire Pic

I know that the BFG's are really good quality but I think my truck would look better sitting on the 32's. I have the room under there since I've got 2" longer rear coils and have my torsion bars cranked some.

Does anyone know much about these Falken tires? I was told that they are a "middle of the road tire" Both sets are much the same price and looking at the Falkens, I think they are quite nice. I dont do that much off roading, just the occasional trail so major traction in the mud is not an issue here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Luke (lukeribz for Outdoorwire)
Old 05-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Luke, I have not heard of those before, but they look nice.
I agree on the size. Next time I get new shoes, I will be going with 32's.
What about the BFG's in a 32?

That's kind of a head bangin' decision you have there

Hey, your avatar kicks butt! It looks outragious.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
Hi Luke, I have not heard of those before, but they look nice.
I agree on the size. Next time I get new shoes, I will be going with 32's.
What about the BFG's in a 32?

That's kind of a head bangin' decision you have there

Hey, your avatar kicks butt! It looks outragious.

Hey Corey the BFG's at 31" are running at 94 UK pounds each and so are the Falkens. But the cheapest I can get the 32 BFG's at is £135 a tire which i simply cannot run to as I gotta go with a new clutch in the truck sometime soon (but thats another story). So i guess its really down to these 2 types of tire. And yeah I know what you mean about its been driving me for days now :grin:

Cheers

Luke
Old 05-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Luke,

You know that the BFG AT's perform poorly in mud, right? I have a set and wish I had gone with something a bit more mud friendly. But we each have our own usage and your's surely differs from my. I thought I would just throw that there (and get my 1st post!) to make sure.

On a side note, why is there a strange "underline" at the end of my message when viewed in Preview mode? Odd...
Old 05-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Nevermind, I see that in the actual message the underline seperates the sig from the body of the message. My guess is that it is a Preview mode bug, but minor indeed.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2002, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

You'll loose power withthe 32's. Make sure your gear can pull them.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
You'll loose power withthe 32's. Make sure your gear can pull them.

My truck came with 265 70 15's as standard which are actually wider than a 31, but about 1/2 inch smaller on the height so I think it must have the bigger gears (or whatever u call em )

I must admit i wouldnt like the loss in power but it sure would look good with 32's :grin:

Gezz I just cant decide :rolleyes:

Luke
Old 05-21-2002, 10:11 AM

Have you definitely narrowed it down to those two ?
I've had great luck with two types of Bridgestones. Regular highway treads on the '98 and Mudders on the '86. They're holding up real well! just my $.02
Old 05-21-2002, 02:32 PM

tires

Hey dude,

I was in the tire business for many years and I can say the BFG's
are going to give you problems. They may have decent traction off road, but they will give you a crummy ride on the street. Also, BFG's are notorious for ride desturbances. Almost every customer that had BFG's had balancing problems. As far as Falken goes--you get what you pay for. I would recommend paying the extra money for a better quality tire. Keep in mind that if you do purchase an off-brand tire like Falken, how many tire shops will actually stock it? If you are in a pinch, you may not be able to find one very fast. In addition, stick with a mainstream tire that will be around for a while. Some of the "cheapie" tires out there are soon discontinued and you may be stuck in the long run. The best questions I could ask you is...What is your safety worth? How much do you value your vehicle? How important is it to have excellent traction? Aren't you and your truck worth a safe, great perfoming and top quality tire? I would bet you say yes! Don't cut corners when it comes to tires...after all, that is what is between you and the ground. DON'T SKIMP! Bust out the Visa and bite the bullet--you won't be sorry!

Good luck,

Samspade77
Old 05-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the board Sam.
Hey, do you know anything about Les Schwab tires?
I have been using their line of Wild Country's now since about '90.
I ran two sets of the Wild Country RVT's on it, and they lasted forever. They were more of an AT type tire I think.

I am now on my 2nd set of Wild Country TXR's (their mud/dirt/snow tire) for the Runner.
Bought the first set back in spring of '99. They are still almost like new, but I use them now only for from November though March.

The new set I have now is for the better weather with my good wheels.
These things wear like iron. I have never seen a tire wear like this before.
They are noisy, very noisy, but I like a loud tire.
Here is the tread pattern on them.

Just curious if yu had any insight on this brand of tire. I imagine Cooper or Kelly Springfield actualy makes them for Les Schwab.

I was thinking of getting the Goodyear MT/R's everyone seems to be getting these days in the future, but I have had real great luck with these.
Thanks, Corey
Old 05-21-2002, 08:58 PM

Hey Corey,
I've had mine since 99 as well. I've been waiting for them to wear out since I was thinking of putting BFG mudders on. I can't seem to get the tread to wear.
Just now losing some of the siping on the outer part of the tire.
These things are die hards.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:06 PM

tires

Hi Corey,

To be honest, I'm not familiar with Les Schwab tires. Tire brands seem to be regional as far as what's offered in your area. It boils down to what tire will meet your needs. Dick Cepek and Super Swampers are popular here for the hardcore off-roaders. I'm partial to Goodyear because I worked for them for so many years. Keep in mind that companies like Goodyear, Michelin, etc...have big bucks when it comes to research and developement. Kelly tires are made in Goodyear plants--as Goodyear owns the controlling stock in that company. It sounds like everyone has stuck to a brand they have had great results from. That carries more weight than anything.

See ya,

Samspade77
Old 05-22-2002, 03:27 PM

sleeper tire

Hi guys,

I just remembered a great "sleeper" tire from Goodyear. It's called the Workhorse Extra Grip Radial. The largest 15" size it comes in is 31-10.50R15. It costs substantially less than other super-aggressive tires, but has awesome off-road traction. Every customer who ran these swore by them (most ran them on Jeep Wranglers). If you get a chance they are worth checking out. Keep in mind, they will be LOUD and ROUGH riding!

Later,

Samspade77
Old 05-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Redtoy
Have you definitely narrowed it down to those two ?
I've had great luck with two types of Bridgestones. Regular highway treads on the '98 and Mudders on the '86. They're holding up real well! just my $.02

Hey Redtoy do you mean the Bridgestone Dueler AT's? I got a price on a set of those today too and they came out at the same price as the BFG AT's (both in 31") So maybe Ill go for a set of those.

Luke
Old 05-23-2002, 12:09 PM

I have the bridgestone M/T's awesome tires. My first set of M/T's and they ride better than my old michelins ltx's and have gone everywhere. I am always the nut that shows up to a run in my 4runner riding with old built Jeeps and straight axel Toyotas by they end of the day they are aware that late model Toyotas can hang. Finally and very important at highway speeds they ride like glass.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NOTRUB
I have the bridgestone M/T's awesome tires. My first set of M/T's and they ride better than my old michelins ltx's and have gone everywhere. I am always the nut that shows up to a run in my 4runner riding with old built Jeeps and straight axel Toyotas by they end of the day they are aware that late model Toyotas can hang. Finally and very important at highway speeds they ride like glass.
how well do they do in wet conditions??? im seriously considering goin with the Dueler MTs, the only concern i have is the wet traction. any other pros or cons about them? how about the noise???
Old 05-23-2002, 07:10 PM

In the rain oh yes, actually that was my biggest concern rain and ICE. They have meet and exceeded my standards for a tires handling in rain I did not have to change my driving style. I like to drive fast
Old 05-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NOTRUB
In the rain oh yes, actually that was my biggest concern rain and ICE. They have meet and exceeded my standards for a tires handling in rain I did not have to change my driving style. I like to drive fast
thanks man, that exactly what i needed to know. im gonna be doin a ton of highway miles this winter goin to and from school, so highway is impt, and rain too. Bridgestone Dueler MTs, here i come!

wait, you never answered about the noise level...
Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
YO HAYES:

Do I win a prize for this one?