Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rides like poo poo..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rides like poo poo..

Alright my truck rides and handles like a freakin' brick, it has NO lift, at all, so don't think thats the cause, my rear springs are old from what I can tell.. and the shocks on it have been on there for quite a while, long enough they're surface rusted real bad.. They're Gabrial "Pro" or something like that, I'm pretty sure they suck, alot, But I don't know how much they would affect my handling, I was thinking about getting new shocks, like some Pro Comp's, or Bilsteins.. But the Billies are a bit expensive, anyone know any good cheapish shocks?-Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the truck bounce up and down a lot? If so then its probably shocks...but very well could be the springs too.....are they flat or negative arched? any pics?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the gabriel ones i got at autozone a year or so ago are pretty decent for the price, but im puttin bilstein on now with the SAS.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM

i know you said you dont have a lift but if you or someone prior adjusted your torsion bars in ether direction it will stiffen up you ride like you explained
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by peachey
i know you said you dont have a lift but if you or someone prior adjusted your torsion bars in ether direction it will stiffen up you ride like you explained

YES YES..good point.....I would think it would look pretty funny with stock worn out rears and cranked t-bars though
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Rancho RS5000's are pretty decent shocks for the money. I know they are much cheaper than bilsteins but the bilsteins are really worth it if you can swing it.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

The torsion bars have NEVER been adjusted, if anything it sits low in the back I got it from the original owner who bought it new in '86 so its all STOCK except for the exhaust.. Ride has never been altered.. As for springs, No negative arch but heres some pics..

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

It doesn't bump up and down or show signs of worn out shocks, in fact, my rear end is stiff as hell and barely moves, the front rides nice but the rear is total crap.. Makes me not want to drive this thing some times..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Well, your springs are in pretty dang good shape....

dunno.. either the shocks or maybe a fused/seized/bad spring or shackle bushing
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Hmm Dunno maybe I'm just used to how my tacoma rides with that 2.5" daystar and soft rear leaf pack.. Like a Caddy! I guess I'll get new shocks, Gotta get me some 33's and 3" BL first though.. Thanks for the help, I'll prolly go with pro comp shocks, or some Monroe Sensa Tracs..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
your springs look pretty decent. mine were pretty flat when i swapped them out for OMEs. if anything, worn out springs would be a softer ride since it will give less resistance but won't support weight when loaded. i second checking your shackles and moving parts of the rear...since your shocks are not originals and are as rusted as they look, the shackles are probably rusted inside as well. are you observing the rear end's faults when empty or with some weight in the back? truck should ride a little better with at least some weight in back otherwise it'll bounce around. good luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 AM

make sure your shackles are moving freely... like highonpottery said they could be rusted or even too tightly torqued
Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow... I almost got sucked in... if the front is stock and rides nice but the rear is stiff... and is not even riding on the overload/surfboards (considering there is a gap at the ends of the overloads)... the shocks have no chance in hades of delivering the 'desired' ride quality. It's not the shocks but the spring rates that are the issue in the back end. softer than stock springs (chevy's?) and good shocks are in order for the rear.

ooh. almost sucked you in too didn't I?

the overloads are bent down at the trailing ends so it's obvious the truck has had a few trips fully loaded riding on the bump stops.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

good point abe i just looked at this one and was going to say almost the same thing the lower leaf dont look right as in what abe said looks like it was sitting at the bump stops and went for a longer ride or very short rides and lots of them!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

The guy who had the truck before me was a construction worker, so they hauled building materials IE, BRICKS, LUMBER, HUGE LOADS... So yeah they're bent.. A bit, Anyone got a thread on the chevy swap? Can you do the swap and gain no lift?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Anyone got a thread on the chevy swap? Can you do the swap and gain no lift?
They typically give 2 to 3 inches over stock.....you have to reweld the spring hangars

Check here for all your chevy spring needs
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=20665
Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep....everytime you hit a bump, the leaves are compressing and are riding and hitting the overloads. Those don't bend so easily and will definitely make it rough. Shocks will help...yours look they could use replacing...but, the springs need to be addressed.

ProComp, Rancho, and a couple other decent shock companies usually have specials going where you buy 3 and get one free. I bought some ProComp 9000's and got the steering stablizer free. And!!!! Most importantly, you get some free bling bling boots in an array of colors to choose from!!! Be bold!! Make statement!! (Well, with ProComp you do, anyway)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you live anywhere where rust is a problem, dont run boots!!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 AM

I just finished a Chevy swap, and did my first test drive last night and it rode like a brick. I was reading this thread, because I thought maybe my new pro comp 9000's were the culprit. But after reading this thread it am guessing it is because my Chevy shackles that I left on are the culprit. When i installed the Chevies, I had to use a breaker bar to turn the shackle (apparently Chevy uses them upside down or something) any way i turned the shackle around to where it would work on the Toyota, but you definitely could not turn them by hand. This must be locking up my springs and keeping them from flexing properly. I have to make new shackles anyway, because mine are too short and my pinion doesn't point at my transfer case and this causes a little vibration. the Chev's are 5.5 in eye to eye, and the pinion is parallel to the ground, so I figure Ill make 8.5 inch shackles out of 2 inch by 1/4 inch steel flat bar. if that gets my angle right, Ill remake them out of something a little stouter. Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
Sorry for the thread hijack, but this seemed to follow the conversation loosely. By the way the Chevy swap was a little time consuming, but if this shackle thing fixes the ride, this is going to be sweet.