86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rhino lining the entire interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rhino lining the entire interior

My birfdays coming up in a few days and the fiance keeps bugging me for ideas. I keep telling her nothing, I really would be happy with nothing but I guess she doesn't get it..Keeps telling me that shes going to spend the money and get me crap so I might as well tell her what I want.

Needless to say the carpet in the 4runner has seen better days and I've been tossing around the idea of rhino lining (or other equivelant) the entire inside. I know it's been done, anyone have pictures of a 4runner with this done? Also, how do you like it? What are the pros/cons of the roll on vs spray on? I would be doing it here in my apartment parking lot (Neighbors already think I'm crazy, always wrenching on something). I don't have an air compressor, so I was leaning towards the roll on. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its been done manytimes on here, but i dont think anyone has actually done a write up on it. You can get the roll on stuff (ive seen it done on extreme 4x4 haha) and that looks pretty good. I think it was like $100 for a gallon of the stuff, a roller and a brush.

IMO, id go for the roll on stuff.

Best of luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
As previously posted:

Prep prep PREP!!!

Scuff the surfaces up good, the lining will not stick to regular paint very well. I have learned this the hard way
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a write-up on this very subject the other day- but I can't find the post. If I find it I will let you know. They had pics as well. I think they used spray cans, but I would go with the roller - easier to control and you won't get as much on your interior. Yes prep is the main thing to remember, scuff everything up really good so it will stick.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm. So, if one was to do this, the rhino liner (or equivalent) won't stick to old glue eh?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say go with the roll on and be sure and prep the crap out of the surface. Please do a write up since I plan on doing this to my 4runner as well. Be sure and take lots of pictures.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it to line-x and they will do the interior for $400-600.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 02-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:36 PM

I think roll on is the way to go. i helped with a truck bed. Make sure you can do it in a well vented area. I'm waiting for the summer to do my truck cab. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
take it to line-x and they will rhino-line the interior for $400-600.
They would probably Line-x it at "Line-x"....haha
Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 PM

im gonna wait for a write up cause i plan on doing my exterior
Old 02-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
same idea hear, I have the carpet cut out, and didnt know if rubberized undercoating or spray in bedliner would be better or if they were the same damn thing. I am guessing the "rhino liner" is bed liner so to speak and not rubberized undercoating?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
same idea hear, I have the carpet cut out, and didnt know if rubberized undercoating or spray in bedliner would be better or if they were the same damn thing. I am guessing the "rhino liner" is bed liner so to speak and not rubberized undercoating?
It is a polyurethane that is used for lots of applications; truck beds, interiors, undercoatings, industrial floors etc...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

So, I'm planning to do this too.

For those who have done anything in Linex/rhino liner:

Is rough the key? my rear carpet was stuck down with glue that is stronger than welds. I was planning to leave it in there. It is nice and rough. Is it the smoothness that is an issue, or the impurity provided by the paint?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
So, I'm planning to do this too.

For those who have done anything in Linex/rhino liner:

Is rough the key? my rear carpet was stuck down with glue that is stronger than welds. I was planning to leave it in there. It is nice and rough. Is it the smoothness that is an issue, or the impurity provided by the paint?
I would say as long as there are no greasy or slick materials on that glue and you rough it up a little with some heavy grit sand paper you will be OK.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Remember, it's permanant. I use SEM spray on bedliner. I have had great results. As far as an interior treatment, I wouldn't mind using it on the floor, rear cab wall, and inside the door shells, but I wouldn't want to get out of hand with it unless I planned to submarine it often. Never put it over rust! It WILL come back to haunt you.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
my rear carpet was stuck down with glue that is stronger than welds
I don't think that any glue can be stronger than a good weld. But JB weld comes close xD.

Anyway, if u clean the glue and like other posters have said rough it up, i guess it should be good. I use a crappy drill with a metal brush bit thing to rough stuff and get off paint.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM

I just did the cab of my 87 Hilux last weekend. I had already broken out all the tar, and the interior is stripped out. I sanded/ground the floor with a 4 inch grinder with a Norton flap wheel on it. I then blew it out, wiped it down with xylene and sprayed it with Durabak.( about the same as Herculiner) I got an undercoat shutz gun at Eastwood for 20 bucks. Shot a coat, an hour later shot another. Done. I have rolled it on my boat floor and 2 truck beds, and will never roll again. So much easier to spray it, and a better finish- and 2 min per coat instead of an hour. I just got a new computer and have not loaded my camera driver on yet, did take pics though.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at carquest.. dont know if you have one local or not... but they have herculiner roll on for about 115 a gallon with all the shindiggs to do it with i plan to do my floor and the whole outside of my yota this summer. a guy at a local 4x4 shop told me he did 3 jeep floor boards with 2 coats each with a gallon
Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 PM

do it with spray cans
one of my friends recently did it in his jeep and it looks really good
Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent! Thanks. Thats going to save me a ton of time.

Quick Reply: Rhino lining the entire interior