Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Reverse polarity problem 1992 sr5 4runner

Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse polarity problem 1992 sr5 4runner

Hi im from Melbourne Australia and i have just finished installing a new gasket set in my 1992 SR5 HILUX head gasket rocker cover gasket exhaust manifold gasket air intake manifold gasket air filter oil filter leads and plugs im not that experienced with mechanics but i got through it pretty well with a little help from my mate anyhow after it was completed and it was time to start it it was completely dead no power to the dash or any of the accessories the only thing with power was my driving lights and the lights in the doors after a week or so of checking this and that i finally found a blown fusable link and the 100 amp main fuse AHHH big problem then i found what i had done i wrongly placed the wire on the alternator so where the main possitive power wire connects to the alternator i put both the possitive and negitive to the the same connector wich im told created a reverse polarisation so after fixing that problem and fixing the negitive earth wire to the body the 100 amp fuse and the fusable link are ok and dont blow anymore but now the situation is no matter what i do it will not start plenty of fuel and spark but nothing so i took it to a local mechanic who has now had the car for a week and called me today to tell me that he has never had a car like this that has got him stumped no matter what he tries it will not start so i was wondering if anybody has any ideas to what the problem might be if anybody can help it would be much appreciated many thanks

Last edited by andywho; 03-07-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family mate. Not to be "snakey" but that post was very hard to read without punctuation. You don't have to use capitols but a period or comma now and then would be good
Also we need to know which engine you were working on to be able to provide the best answer. Was it a 22re 4cyl, a 3VZE 6cyl, or one of the diesels?

Here's the OP with some punctuation added

Originally Posted by andywho
Hi I'm from Melbourne Australia and i have just finished installing a new gasket set in my 1992 SR5 HILUX, head gasket, rocker cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, air intake manifold gasket, air filter, oil filter, leads and plugs. I'm not that experienced with mechanics but i got through it pretty well with a little help from my mate. Anyhow after it was completed and it was time to start it it was completely dead, no power to the dash or any of the accessories the only thing with power was my driving lights and the lights in the doors. After a week or so of checking this and that i finally found a blown fusible link and the 100 amp main fuse AHHH big problem. Then i found what i had done, i wrongly placed the wire on the alternator so where the main positive power wire connects to the alternator i put both the positive and negative to the the same connector which im told created a reverse polarization. So after fixing that problem and fixing the negative earth wire to the body, the 100 amp fuse and the fusible link are ok and don't blow anymore but now the situation is no matter what i do it will not start... plenty of fuel and spark but nothing so i took it to a local mechanic who has now had the car for a week and called me today to tell me that he has never had a car like this that has got him stumped... no matter what he tries it will not start so i was wondering if anybody has any ideas to what the problem might be, if anybody can help it would be much appreciated.
many thanks
Does it turn over? I'm wondering if maybe the starter got fried somehow... is it a manual? have you tried "bump" (push) starting it?

Hope you get your problem solved.
We have several members from Oz and NZ so you'll find plenty of "Southern Cross" company in addition to us "Polaris" types from the other side of the globe.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

i wonder just where it had plenty of gas and spark.

Spark pretty much rules out a diesel unless it means something else there.

I am thinking the electrical spike took more things out.

If it was mechanically fine it should start.

I am thinking it cranks but does not start But I could be reading it wrong.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

That's right he mentioned spark... that would rule out the diesel engines.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your reply its the 3vze 3ltre petrol motor .auto .and yes it is turning over but there is still no start
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Cam and ignition timing? If you have the big three they must not be coming together at the right time, of course thats a guess since I can't hear it see it or poke at it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Thanks mate i will pass that info onto my mechanic
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

But if it ran fine up to the massive electrical mishap all that should be just fine as in the physical timing etc.

The OP says it has spark and fuel which makes no sense.

My question by having fuel do they mean in the tank?? Has the fuel pressure been tested?? Is the pump coming on??

Have the plugs been pulled and are they wet from the constant cranking if the injectors are firing like they should.

I still say this has to be a electrical problem and something still has not been corrected.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
i have just finished installing a new gasket set in my 1992 SR5 HILUX head gasket rocker cover gasket exhaust manifold gasket air intake manifold gasket air filter oil filter leads and plugs
Disttributor 180?