Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Retrofitting a OEM roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Retrofitting a OEM roof rack?

Anyone done it? I can get one for really cheap, and I want to be able to carry a roof-top box.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did it to my trail rig

used self tapping screws.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll sell you one for the right price...
Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000
I'll sell you one for the right price...
Unless you can beat $20 shipped to Canada...
Old 03-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
i did it to my trail rig

How did you seal the holes in the roof? Does it use a gasket, or do you use silicon sealant?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Unless you can beat $20 shipped to Canada...
Nope haha...There's no gasket BTW. I'd go with silicone.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recommend self tapping screws. I recommend using nutserts/rivet-nuts.

Depending on where you are in Canada you can get them, and the installation tool from Princess auto.

You typically don't need sealant when using them, but if you are worried about it, just smear some caulking on them before installing them.

Also, before you install the OEM rack, check out the one by Sureco. it's a similar system, but it gives you more options in the long run. I've installed them on all of my 2nd Gen 4Runners and am happy with them.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

The factory uses 5 mm rivnuts. The original screws had a sealant on them, but you can just run a thin bead of silicone around the rim and in the middle. I've installed thousands of them over the years and have never had one leak. I have 5mm rivnuts if your in need of some.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
i did it to my trail rig

I think you need a full trailer... what if you badly damage the rear-end on the trail?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
Anyone done it? I can get one for really cheap, and I want to be able to carry a roof-top box.
I did one on my 90 4runner and used the rivnut things with silicone on the shanks of the bolts and have zero leaks here is the wright up I did on my install it may help you out a little.

HERES THE INFO ON HOW I DID MINE IT WAS A NON ROOF RACK 4RUNNER
AND I FOUND OUT THAT THE KIT WITH BRASS SCREW IN BITS CAN BE BOUGHT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT FOR ABOUT 10-15 BUCKS.

The first step was to pull the head liner and with the help of a good friend my mine who just happens to have 15 years working for TOYOTA we pulled the interior panels from one side of the truck to find the cross members. Once we found them and marked them with painters tape on the roof we then assembled the rack and found a suitable mounting point and marked it and set it up for installation then remembered one minor detail that we over looked. Thank god we thought of this minor detail that we overlooked THE SUNROOF.

Not that its a bad thing but we totally forgot to factor in the slide rail for the retract function of the sunroof , after rethinking the sunroof we came to the conclusion that the point that I choose to mount the rack was not going to interfere with the sunroof it was time to start the drilling.

First thing before drilling we taped the sides of the roof where we had the outsides of the rails and that gave us a good point to mark the roof with the sharpie.We then went back to the inside of the truck and reinstalled the interior panels and headliner.

We then went a got out the drill bits and a block of wood. The drill bit if I remember correctly was a 9/32s (don't hold me to that) then took the 2x4 and put the drill bit on it and cut the 2x4 to fit the length with we then took an extra 1/8 inch off so only the very tip of the drill bit was loner then the wood block.The reason for the tip of the drill bit being a bit longer was so after drilling Thur the block only that would come Thur and when drilling it to the roof it would not good to far Thur and catch the headliner tearing or ripping it.

Now came the drilling with the piece of wood set on the drill bit and the drill in hand it was time to commence with the task of drilling(Yes I was a bit nervous) but with the pre marked points in site I went to each mark with my punch and made a dimple in the roof so the bit would not walk.
Next was the moment of truth DRILLING the first hole. I went to the first mark with total appreciation and started to drill , this is where the dimple came into play because the wax on the roof made it rather slick and the bit would have slide pretty easily.

With the bit tip firmly in the dimple the drilling stated , first the metal shaving got me very nervous and then it happened the block of wood hit the roof stopping the cutting action and downward motion of the drill.

The first hole had been drilled and the block of wood did a EXELLENT job of stopping me from drilling Thur the headliner. After that drilling the next 11 holes was like walking , I didnt even think about it I just drilled next thing ya know all the holes were drilled and BRETT and I were pulling the tape off (the tape really was two purposes 1 good for making the marks for drilling and not hurting the paint and 2 it helps protect the paint if the drill bit slips no scratching the paint.(a trick I use when installing parts on a custom HARLEY or other high dollar parts)

Next step was to fit the (brass) inserts that BRETT graped from his tool box and see how they fit. I still don't know what they are called but they work like a rivets but the inside is threaded for a 6mm bolt. Just a note Friday I went to the hardware store and found 12 1/4" and 2 1" long tapered head stainless steel bolts that fit the tread in the rivet thing. BRETT had also the tool (matco tools) that inserted these in the roof don't know what its called either. But its basically like a rivet gun but where you place the rivet there is a threaded shaft the same pitch as the bolts.You screw in the insert set it in the hole and just like a rivet gun pull the handle until you feel the insert mushrooming , but don't pull to hard or you will ruin the insert and have to drill it out hoping that you can install another one without any damage to the roof.

We did both sides and placed the rack on the roof finding that all lined up perfect YES, once I was sure that it fit right it was time to fit the rack for good.

All the bolts went into the new threaded inserts and a drop of blue lock tight had them holding like they where factory installed (better if you ask me) The roof rack looks great and holds even better total time for the install was about 2 hours and was really not to hard to do maybe a 7 out of 10 but with the correct tools and supplies needed it was a breeze and fun at the same time.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:40 PM

I did the same thing , I used rivet nuts to fasten a roof rack to my 95 4runner about 2 yrs ago , and have had no problems , I sealed everything up with clear silicone caulk inside the the rivets , and also along the base of the rack itself . The rack is just as tight today as it was the day i installed it . I carry my spare tire up there when I am wheeling. the rack is still up there.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm sure it's good advice taking the headlining out, and certainly if you have a sun-roof it's probably a really good idea to ensure your placements wont interfere with anything.

I never bothered when I installed my racks and I don't have a sunroof. I was just careful to not let the drill bit penetrate any further than through the metal, and I didn't have a problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I think you need a full trailer... what if you badly damage the rear-end on the trail?
then i call c.a.a as im c.a.a plus member.. i just tow it when i dont have insurance...
but the toyota rear end is pretty strong... lots of people just use tow bars!!!

and yeah i used rtv to seal it
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i did it to my trail rig

Jesus that's sexy. I tell you there isn't anything hotter than 4runner-on-4runner action, hell it's better than bacon.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:42 PM

yeah thats for sure... love seeing some toy on toy action!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Jesus that's sexy. I tell you there isn't anything hotter than 4runner-on-4runner action, hell it's better than bacon.
Actually, it's 4Runner on Hilux Surf action, to be more accurate.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So if a hilux surf and a 4runner where to mate. Would you get some sort of center steering wheel monster?

p.s you unbolt the rear d-shaft when you flat tow it right?....right?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
So if a hilux surf and a 4runner where to mate. Would you get some sort of center steering wheel monster?

p.s you unbolt the rear d-shaft when you flat tow it right?....right?
If you want to. Nothing will fall off it you don't.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
Actually, it's 4Runner on Hilux Surf action, to be more accurate.
Oh! A foreign girl? That maks it dirty. *shudder*

Quick Reply: Retrofitting a OEM roof rack?