86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing Sunroof Glass with Lexan

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing Sunroof Glass with Lexan

I have a first gen 4runner with a cracked sunroof. I drove 150 miles and payed $120 for a new one yesterday. While installing it I didn't notice the little locking tab on the side of the sunroof was bent, so the second I put it on the truck and set it down it cracked. I was pissed. I'll probably try glueing it, but I'm pretty sure every time I go off roading and hit the smallest bump it'll grow.

So I got to thinking, I spend weeks searching for another one and pay at least $100 or pull the glass out of my original one and try to make a lexan window. Has anyone done this before? I know it won't be curved like the stock glass, but I don't care anymore. I'm starting to wish I didn't have a sunroof.

Patrick
86 4runner
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
humm... the sunroof on my runner is cracked too.... *subscribes*
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM

it should be fine.
if you get lexan the same thickness it should install w/o issue.
w/very careful heating, some curves can be added.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could always build a sheetmetal version with an aluminum frame to simulate the thickness of the glass. some practice with a hammer and dolly to get the curve and you're good to go. OR just get a big piece of sheetmetail and rivet it over the opening ghetto style (of course silicone it for water proofing
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM

this one guy on my block took the green astro turf door matt off his front steps and put it over the sunroof in his mercedes benz that was stuck partially open and then put a pice of firewood on it so it would not blow away. i have yet to see him drive it so that may not be the best option. looks tight though.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Is the Lexan as durable as the glass you would be replacing? Can it support as much weight?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 AM

what weight does the sunroof support?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Lexan scratches VERY easily. We use Lexan on our fire helmets. It is very resistant to impact but yellows easily and will scratch like you wouldn't believe. A sunroof is a good application for this as you don't rely on seeing through it like a windshield but it would have to be thick I think not to break. Is your sunroof power or manual pop up style? If it is power then I think that the motor may put too much tension where things mount. You'd have to concoct some sort of metal frame so that the Lexan is only sitting in it - no tension. I say that because the Lexan face shields always break where the hole is drilled through it to mount it to the helmet. Any hole in the Lexan will be a weak spot where cracks can form.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Is the Lexan as durable as the glass you would be replacing? Can it support as much weight?
What do you do, sit on it? Why would weight be an issue outside of snow maybe, in which case, brush it off!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
this one guy on my block took the green astro turf door matt off his front steps and put it over the sunroof in his mercedes benz that was stuck partially open and then put a pice of firewood on it so it would not blow away. i have yet to see him drive it so that may not be the best option. looks tight though.
Now that is a Seattle thing.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Victor
Lexan scratches VERY easily. We use Lexan on our fire helmets. It is very resistant to impact but yellows easily and will scratch like you wouldn't believe. A sunroof is a good application for this as you don't rely on seeing through it like a windshield but it would have to be thick I think not to break. Is your sunroof power or manual pop up style? If it is power then I think that the motor may put too much tension where things mount. You'd have to concoct some sort of metal frame so that the Lexan is only sitting in it - no tension. I say that because the Lexan face shields always break where the hole is drilled through it to mount it to the helmet. Any hole in the Lexan will be a weak spot where cracks can form.
that lexan sucks then, cuz lexan is supposed to be more resistant than traditional plexiglass to cracking, scratching, chipping etc...i also dont see it breaking due to stress or tension. lexan flexes very well, and thick lexan is very durable, it should be able to handle the closing of the electric sunroof no problem. as said earlier the only downside i see is it not being curved and possible yellowing due to weather.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pest
What do you do, sit on it? Why would weight be an issue outside of snow maybe, in which case, brush it off!

Snow is what i was talking about and what if you aren't there to brush it off?

I guess if the lexan was thick enough there wouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM

an equivalent size piece of (thicker)lexan is stronger than glass.
scratches are easy to remove from lexan.
exposure to smoke/heat will cause it to yellow.
using an ammonia based cleaner will cause it to craze(tiny surface hairline cracks)
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brother had a plexiglass rear window in his 4runner for about 2 years. No scratches, no yellow, and withstood multiple attacks from various things.

Wait, is plexiglass and lexan the same thing..
Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 PM

OR...if you's a big balla'...you could pitch in some EXTRA money and get a sheet of CARBON FIBER! Ha, and fill it with that stuff! Of course, you would need to build a frame around it...anyway, I was just mostly kidding. I would fork up the least expensive one...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
My brother had a plexiglass rear window in his 4runner for about 2 years. No scratches, no yellow, and withstood multiple attacks from various things.

Wait, is plexiglass and lexan the same thing..
lexan is a type of plexiglass if i understand correctly
Old 07-01-2007, 02:12 AM

lexan is a brand of polycarbonate, so people end up calling them all lexan. It's also commonly known as bullit proof glass. I just thought I'd use it since I have some left over from my battlebot days.

Patrick
86 4runner
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by surf4runner
an equivalent size piece of (thicker)lexan is stronger than glass.
scratches are easy to remove from lexan.
exposure to smoke/heat will cause it to yellow.
using an ammonia based cleaner will cause it to craze(tiny surface hairline cracks)

Good post;I forgot about the yellowing and yes,it will yellow especially as a sunroof.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 PM

diggin up an old post here, i know...but was looking for a source that has pre-formed Lexan windshields for our 'Runners...
I know companies make them for Jeeps & Samuari's, but haven't found one yet for us...
and this stuff can be coated inside/out for both scratch resistance & anti-fog. The "supercoat" isn't 100% scratch resistant (sample comes w/steel wool to try on it) but it is pretty impressive. So I'd imagine as long as you could rince off the mud or wash off the dust -not using your wipers for every little bit of dirt- it might have a long life.

www.meyerplastics.com
http://www.proglasswindows.com/
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samexterior.htm