Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing Ignition Tumblers in 1993 Pickup

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Ignition Tumblers in 1993 Pickup

Hi, i went out to turn on my truck today and noticed my key wouldn't unlock the doors so I got my spare which worked fine. Then I tried to start the truck, with both keys, and the ignition won't even turn... the keys won't move. I bought WD40 and sprayed all the locks... now both keys will open the doors again, but the ignition still won't turn.

I've done some online research since then and believe that my heavy keychain (with carabeeners, knives, and keys) is the culprit ... the heaviness eventually wears out the "tumblers" in the ignition?? It appears that I could possibly replace the ignition mechanism myself, as it looks separate from the steering console.

What are my options here?

I am by far no mechanic... should I just call a mobile locksmith and hope that he can replace the ignition and re-key the new ignition to my original key? Should I go to Napa Auto Parts or something and buy a new ignition and try to replace it myself? And if I do that, will it come with its own key -- thus I will have separate keys for the doors/gas cap and another for the new ignition?

Also, does anyone have links that may help to show how to replace the ignition yourself?

Thanks,

1993_Pickup
2wd 4cyl
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might try asking in this thread for a used replacment: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...u-want-132438/

Unless you have a yard local to you that may be your best option.

Rob
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

I was in the same boat, took up to 20 minutes to get the ignition to turn over. Finally picked up a new ignition cylinder with key (key comes with 2 of them).

As far as replacing the cylinder, once you can get the key to turn over to the ACC position, theres a hole on the bottom of the cylinder. Stick a pin up there and it releases the cylinder. Pull it out and slide the new one in. Getting the ignition to turn is the longest part, once you can get the key into the ACC. position, its a 30 second fix. I spent 30 minutes jiggling the key and sawing the steering wheel.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:47 PM

I assume you are saying that I need to get the key to ACC position in the old ignition cylinder, not the new one? I tried this for about 15 minutes, and also added WD-40 to no avail, the key still doesn't turn to the ACC position.

You MUST get the key to the ACC position before the old cylinder can be removed?

I will try some more, and rocking the steering wheel too as you have described to see if I can even get it to move to the ACC position...

P.S. I sent you a friends request on Myspace, hopefully we can chat in email or thru the Myspace or Skype instance messaging systems.

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by EWAYota
I was in the same boat, took up to 20 minutes to get the ignition to turn over. Finally picked up a new ignition cylinder with key (key comes with 2 of them).

As far as replacing the cylinder, once you can get the key to turn over to the ACC position, theres a hole on the bottom of the cylinder. Stick a pin up there and it releases the cylinder. Pull it out and slide the new one in. Getting the ignition to turn is the longest part, once you can get the key into the ACC. position, its a 30 second fix. I spent 30 minutes jiggling the key and sawing the steering wheel.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Anyone else have any information regarding this problem?

What if the steering wheel will not unlock to get the key to the ACC position?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, you'll need to get the current ignition into the acc position, and you'll have to put the new one in the acc position to slide it in.

Like I said, you'll have to work the ignition with the wheel most likely to get it to pop. I worked my wheel so long that my arms had gotten tired, and trust me, I was well past the point of pissed.