Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing Ball joints, TRE's too?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Replacing Ball joints, TRE's too?

I got a 93 4runner (22re) and have been slowly getting her into shape.
Next on my list is replacing the ball joints, shocks, and steering stabilizer. Should I go ahead and replace my tie rod ends since I'm going to be right there anyway? If so, do inner and outer both typically need to be replaced?

I already need to get the alignment done on it (it's pulling to the right), so my thought is just do everything at once. On the other hand, I don't want to be replacing parts just for the sake of it!

I'm new to this stuff and could use some sage wisdom and few smart a** comments =) Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Do they have play are the boots torn, if not they're good. Depending on what you plan on using the cost is negligible, might as well do em and not have to wonder. The "economy" versions are comperable to the price of an alignment.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Err maybe...
Err is not a word, but it's the first thing I thought when I read the question.
If I'm honest, your TRE are probably good... so long as there is something not obviously wrong with them.
Now of course you are, or will be at the stage where replacing them only
comes down to turning a couple bolts and nothing more.
If I'm honest, I have absolutely no idea what Toyota OME parts cost (and I wouldn't use anything but)
If I were you, I might call up your toyota dealership and figure out a price on the tie rod ends. Then figure out if the cost is worth your time, and I can not honestly answer that for you.
If it were me, and depending on budget of course, if Toyota quoted me $200 I would happily do it. And there are other people who would happily tear apart everything again just to save $1. Figure out how much your time working on the truck is worth to you.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
180$ give or take for all four ends.

And not to be a prick you could just have fat/fast fingers, OEM(Original equipment manufacturer) not OME (Old man emu)
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
180$ give or take for all four ends.

And not to be a prick you could just have fat/fast fingers, OEM(Original equipment manufacturer) not OME (Old man emu)
"And not to be a prick you could just have fat/fast fingers, OEM(Original equipment manufacturer) not OME (Old man emu)"
It's option 3... Saturday night, my date went to ˟˟˟˟ and I have been drinking. I got all three letters together in sorta the right order, good enough right?

Let say your alignment will cost $80.
If you do your tie rod ends now, you could, sorta, think of them as costing you only $100.
OK that's wacky math, but when you do them, you need an alignment.
Likewise you could leave them, then a year, maybe two, payout $180 to replace them, and pay for yet another alignment so $260. Plus right now you have everything apart anyways.
Maybe you think tearing apart your truck is a great way to spend your weekend, more power to you. I'm much more happy to pay the $180 now, and have a weekend free to go on horrible dates, and make badly spelled posts talking about trucks.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craig'er
...........Err is not a word.........
Actually err is a word.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Actually err is a word.
Seriously stop picking on me!!!!
"Saturday night, my date went to ˟˟˟˟ and I have been drinking."
Come on, I didn't get laid and now a bunch of people are attacking my spelling on the internet...
I'm getting another beer.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craig'er
Seriously stop picking on me!!!!
"Saturday night, my date went to ˟˟˟˟ and I have been drinking."
Come on, I didn't get laid and now a bunch of people are attacking my spelling on the internet...
I'm getting another beer.
Sorry about your date. Better luck next weekend. And just to be a smart aleck a little more, I didn't criticize your spelling. You spelled err perfectly. It's just that you said it isn't a word when, in fact, it is a perfectly good english language word.

For something useful to the OP, the advice you've gotten here pretty much sums it up. You'll just kinda have to make the call yourself regarding your TREs. Do they look in good shape? Can you afford new ones? Do you want to gamble on maybe needing a second alignment down the road? And also, do you live somewhere that rust is an issue? That could effect your decision too. In the end, only you can actually see and touch and evaluate them.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool, thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll go ahead and replace them since I like tinkering with things and it's not a financial hardship to replace them for me =)

I live in Anchorage, so it's not the nicest conditions for parts either =)