Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacement sealed beam lamps...

Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement sealed beam lamps...

My 4Runner came with some Wagner replacement lamps and though they were obviously newer than the factory, they were very dim. High Beams alone were nothing to write home about. Re-aiming didn't do much.

Since you can't drop HyperStupidAlmostXenonLooking bulbs into the stock lamps, a cheap and effective solution was required. I'd love to retrofit bi-level xenons into the factory housing, but right now I don't wanna sink $500 into the lights... yet.

And adding some KC HI-Lites or similar wasn't in the cards, either. I'm talking cheap lighting, and fast, since i was headed to the beach in two days!

Went to the local Pep Boys to get some wiring for my Hella Air Horns, and stumbled across these gems:

Sylvania Silverstar H6054ST.

$19.99 each, and well worth it. Not very blue at all, so it won't piss off the local cops and make 'em think you're a riced-out Civic. Although Pep Boys doesn't list them for sale on their site, Advance does:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=301&ptset=A

By and large, worth the $40 and 20 minutes or so it took to remove the grill, install them, and aim. Sure as hell beats the stock/oem-replacement, and they're DOT-legal.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have the Hella H4 housings. They are the same as the stock housing, but instead of being sealed, they allow you to put a H4 bulb in. I am running a 55/100W H4 bulb in mine. Also the reflector in these is alot better then the regular sealed housings. I know Corey is also running the same housings.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 AM

I have the IPF H4 conversion, best money spent on lighting yet. About 70 bucks for the housings, and got some bulbs from a friend. I only have 55/60w in there, but holy crap, way brighter than any sealed beam out there.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson

Went to the local Pep Boys to get some wiring for my Hella Air Horns, and stumbled across these gems:

Sylvania Silverstar H6054ST.

$19.99 each, and well worth it. Not very blue at all, so it won't piss off the local cops and make 'em think you're a riced-out Civic. Although Pep Boys doesn't list them for sale on their site, Advance does:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=301&ptset=A

By and large, worth the $40 and 20 minutes or so it took to remove the grill, install them, and aim. Sure as hell beats the stock/oem-replacement, and they're DOT-legal.
FYI:
Yes the Silver Stars are nice, just be ready to replace them in a year. I have put 3 sets in my truck (last set was THE LAST) and they all only lasted a year. I have called Sylvania and that is the life expected life span of the them, so no warrenty given. After the last set went, I switched to the Wagner/Phillips "Brite lights" they were $14.99 at Autozone and just as bright as the Silver Stars, plus they have lasted over 1.5yrs now.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:50 AM

H4 conversion w/only 55/60 bulbs and for under $50 im extremely impressed also
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hella Vision Plus - awesome
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM

I'm running TruView in my Runner, I like them.. Low beams are good, and high beams are good. They give off a white light rather then a blue...

They give some pretty decent light off from inside, the hibeams are pretty good too... They also don't have an offensive glare, when your onlooking them they have spotlight effect. They don't blind you at all, unless your directly infront of the beam.

I paid $15 each at Napa for them, not to bad, and they seem to be ok lights IMO.

Some text on them http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...03/093003a.asp

Last edited by Chuki; 05-10-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 PM

I would personally run the Hella H4 conversion. I have them on my truck now and the amount of light output you get at 55 is almost like the stock high beam and then with a 100 high beam it's amazing. I have no need for any extra lighting on the truck. I might add some lights underneath later, but not anymore on the front. It's about $100 then plus shipping, but it's worth it IMO. I compaired it to my friends reg H4 conversion on his toyota and he bought a set like mine a couple days later.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Hella Vision Plus - awesome
I'm assuming the Hella Vision Plus and the Hella H4 conversion are the same thing, correct?

Any body know of a better price than performance products?
http://www.performanceproducts4truck...ht&part=110723

also the Hella link:
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...ision_Plus.jsp
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM

What you want to buy are the Hella ECE conversion lamps. I bought mine from here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp. Get the 100/55W bulbs, they will light up the road.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:47 PM

Once you buy those lamps, you will want to protect them from rocks and road grit. I bought some Expel covers from here: http://www.autoseattle.com/xpel.htm.
I used Hella lights for the last 20 years, there is nothing better. The ECE conversion lamps put out a better light pattern than my 01 4Runner.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by drunberg
What you want to buy are the Hella ECE conversion lamps. I bought mine from here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp. Get the 100/55W bulbs, they will light up the road.
A couple of question:
1. with the 100/55W bulbs did you find it necessary to upgrade your wiring harness to the one 4crawler sells?

and

2. Since the ECE's are not DOT approved, vs the standard vision plus which are, have you had any problems with the police? (there's no visual/safety inspection in CA, only smog test every couple years and all they look at are emissions and intake)
<thinking_out_loud> I wouldn't think there would be any problem b/c a link off rallylights' page discussing ECE vs the normal DOT lights, says that the ECE's direct all the light to the ground where as the DOT lights direct a % up (for overhead signs) and some to the side (for roadside signs). It seems that they'd be more willing to question the lights that shine up into oncoming traffic more than the lights that are directed towards the ground in front of the truck.</thinking_out_loud>

thanks for the other option, I'm definitely considering it
Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 AM

I have not had any detectable problems with the wiring harness running the 100/55W bulbs. I ran the PIAA Superwhites for a year, and they did die after a year. Not sure if that is normal.

The ECE's light pattern is very focused compared to a stock lamp. There is a definate light pattern cut off. I will try to get a picture of the lamps pointed at a wall.

I have never had an issue with the police, at least with the lights! It may be a 3slow, but it will go over the speed limit.

I run Hella 550 fog lights currently, but used to have the 550 driving lights. The driving lights are very good, but I did get flashed by other drivers alot. They are also to much for driving in a snow storm, the fog lights are much better.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRunner
A couple of question:
1. with the 100/55W bulbs did you find it necessary to upgrade your wiring harness to the one 4crawler sells?

and

2. Since the ECE's are not DOT approved, vs the standard vision plus which are, have you had any problems with the police? (there's no visual/safety inspection in CA, only smog test every couple years and all they look at are emissions and intake)
<thinking_out_loud> I wouldn't think there would be any problem b/c a link off rallylights' page discussing ECE vs the normal DOT lights, says that the ECE's direct all the light to the ground where as the DOT lights direct a % up (for overhead signs) and some to the side (for roadside signs). It seems that they'd be more willing to question the lights that shine up into oncoming traffic more than the lights that are directed towards the ground in front of the truck.</thinking_out_loud>

thanks for the other option, I'm definitely considering it

1. You can do a quick voltage test to answer the first question:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ryBeforeYouBuy

I found I needed to upgrade to see the full benefit of both the stock (55/60 watt) and the 55/100 watt upgraded bulbs.

2. I now run the Hella Vision Plus lamps after running a non-DOT H4 lamp many years ago. Once had a light out and got a fit it ticket, but had to eat that one because I could not have the lights tested and the ticket signed off at a headlight inspection station, since they were not DOT approved.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Awww.. come on... I know the you want the Bi-Xenons... they're calling you!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by drunberg
I have not had any detectable problems with the wiring harness running the 100/55W bulbs. I ran the PIAA Superwhites for a year, and they did die after a year. Not sure if that is normal.
That was my main concern, last thing I want to do is try to force an extra 40 watts through the 15 year old wiring harness, heat up the insulation due to the heat being resealed from the IR drop (voltage drop) and god forbid catch fire; which is a real possibility if you're not careful.

I've definitely been meaning to measure the voltage at the headlights for a while now, but just haven't had time to get out and do it.

And after thinking about it over night, if I ever got a fix-it ticket I could always throw my old sealed beams back in for the inspection.

Thanks for all the info.

oh, and yeah some bi-xenons would be awesome, a friend of mine had some aftermarket ones in his nissan 300zx and those things were BRIGHT!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 05prerunner
x2 love them
Old 11-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats the first thing i did to my 4runner when i had it i switch to a h4 conversion stock sealed ones SUCK

Last edited by Elton; 11-21-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 05prerunner

Where did you find that?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
two of These add These thats under $50 bucks

Last edited by Elton; 11-22-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement sealed beam lamps...