Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacement o2 sensor - engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement o2 sensor - engine light

I bought a bosch o2 sensor for my 1993 toyota pickup and the plug in adapter it came with was wrong so i cut the wires on the old one and new one and used the old plug... First go was good match what wires i could, the others i just guessed cuz the directions were worthless. I fired it up and immediately the engine light went off BUT my truck was running terribly... Sputtering and lost power when i tried to go reverse or forward. Seemed fine once i revved it in park but not drive or reverse. The 2 wires i thot were wrong i switched them and now its running fine but the engine light is back on... Anyone ever had this problem?

New o2 sensor has:
2 white wires
1 grey wire
1 black wire

Old o2 sensor has:
1 white wire
1 grey wire
1 brown wire
1 blue wire

I matched the grey and white wires of course but the others i wasnt sure... When i had the blue wire to the black and brown to the white the engine light went off but it sputtered. I swapped those thinking light colors with light and dark with dark... Engine light on but truck running fine. Is there anything i can do to get the engine light off and it running good? Or do i just have to try every combo possible til it works?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Bumppp
Old 10-06-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Can't help with the wiring - but are you sure it's the correct o2 sensor for your truck?

General consensus is that most Toyota vehicles DO NOT LIKE Bosch o2 sensors and it's recommended to go with a similarly priced Denso, Toyota or other OEM Japanese part and NOT your standard aftermarket auto parts store sensor. So with that said, I would personally go buy a Denso off Amazon for like $40, they've worked on all my vehicles just fine: 22re, 1zz-fe and 2uz engines (except for one that I had go bad again on my Land Cruiser, after around 40k miles)

Last edited by highonpottery; 10-06-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM

Ill have to look into Denso, tried literally every wire combinations and it runs like crap when the light is off but runs fine when the light is on. Aside from the bad gas mileage... My buddy works at autozone so it should be the right one, maybe toyotas just dont like bosch.

You have a 93 v6 auto and have had the same problems with yours?

Heres a video of it idling -

At the start you can hear that its normal and as the video goes on it gets worse (loud belt sorry) . If i put it in reverse or drive it gets nearly 5x worse and sputters to the point where its gona die and has before unless i hold the brakes and rev it up then its fine for a little bit so idk anymore.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have no print telling you just what wires do what on the Bosch sensor??

Quite possible the sensor was not your problem

Might have been physical damage to the wiring harness.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:59 PM

There is a paper that it came with but it has some weird adapter so I cut it off and cut if off the old one and connected the wires that way. Shouldn't of been any damage either every time I messed with it I was very careful.

What blows my mind is the light instantly goes off but it runs like crap. Connect it the other way and the light is on but it runs perfect aside from bad MPG. Checked out the denso brand and the adapter looks exactly like what I need but don't have extra money to waste then it not work too
Old 11-27-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I meant damage to the harness between The O2 sensor and the ECU

Rubbed or burnt wires !!

Do you have any water leaking down on the ECU it being mounted on the Door post

Last edited by wyoming9; 11-27-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Not sure to be honest. Had this truck for a few years and 30k miles no problems til now. Pretty noob when it comes to all this.

I take good care of my truck other than doing a few donuts every now n then. Wouldn't think there's any damage between those 2 parts if the light goes off and it runs fine when wires swapped around. Only thing it leaks rarely is a little bit of oil, I hardly ever have to put water in her
Old 11-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Stay with Denso. Bosch is no good for Toyotas. Sounds like you are sure it is the O2 sensor causing the CEL to come on and off intermittently. I have had the CEL to come on and off due to vacuum leaks in the past.