Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replaced rear diff pinion seal, now I have a low rumble on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced rear diff pinion seal, now I have a low rumble on deceleration

Hi everyone. I've used your great site over the years to help me keep my old 95 V6 4runner going (311401 miles).

But now I think I've gone and screwed something up, and could use your input.

I finally replaced my leaking rear pinion seal, after putting it off for many months. I think I'd read every forum post and youtube vid before starting, and felt confident I could do this. (background...I'm a chick in my 40's, and have previously replaced the solenoid contacts on my starter, brake pads & shoes, wheel bearings, shocks, etc. I like working on my truck)

Anywhoo, I made alignment marks on the driveshaft, pinion flange, and diff carrier, so I could put everything back as it came apart. I carefully noted how much shaft extended (only 1.5 millimeters) past the pinion nut, before unstaking and removing.
I finally got the old seal out and new one in evenly and set just a hair deep in the housing.

Here is where things are weird.

1. When I originally removed the pinion nut, there was no washer under it. I keep reading about a washer....
2. When I removed the nut using my 30mm socket, it wasn't very hard to do, but when I reinstalled the pinion nut, trying to get it to it's original position, I had to use all of my might, and still was 1/8 of a turn short of returning to the originial dimple/stake mark with 1.5mm of shaft protruding.

When I test drove it, I now have a deep, low rumble when I remove my foot from the gas, at 50-55 mph.

Did I not tighten it enough?

Thanks for reading, I know I'm long winded.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
First of all, I'd read this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post50911348

In particular, read the post by ZUK, he's pretty much the expert when it comes to 3rd members. There is a crush sleeve sitting on the pinion that is supposed to yield when you crank that big nut and provide the proper preload to the pinion bearings. I would think you need to go at least all the way back to your original setting and maybe just a tad more to tighten up the preload...bearings are now old and worn and they need a bit more tightening. If you have access to an impact, that would be the easiest.

One other thing, there is definitely a thick washer underneath the pinion nut, if you don't have it, makes me wonder where it went and perhaps somebody has already messed around with your pinion in the past. ZUK can probably advise you better.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input, coryc85.
I am guessing the previous owner may have lost that washer. I've been driving it for 14 years with no problems in the rear end. I guess I'll just try to get another 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the nut and see if that fixes the rumble. It's not terrible, just wasn't there pre-seal replacement, and can't be good.
Unfortunately, my 4runner is getting up there in miles... and rust. I think I'm going to have to get a newer ride soon.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by trailgoat
Thanks for your input, coryc85.
I am guessing the previous owner may have lost that washer. I've been driving it for 14 years with no problems in the rear end. I guess I'll just try to get another 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the nut and see if that fixes the rumble. It's not terrible, just wasn't there pre-seal replacement, and can't be good.
Unfortunately, my 4runner is getting up there in miles... and rust. I think I'm going to have to get a newer ride soon.
Hi trail go,

I think there's a strong possibility you may have over tightened it three quarters of a turn