Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replace shifter bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace shifter bushing

Going to address a few items on my '94 3vze 5spd 4x4 Pickup.

One of which is to replace the shifter bushing. I have an upgraded part (though I forget who from) in the glove box, but I have no clue where the service manual is.

Anyone have directions or is it pretty self evident once I take the cover off? Do I have to pull the whole trans cover off or can I access it thru the boot hole? Any special tools or specs?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the shift knobs
Pull back the carpet from around the boot, lift up the boot and remove the four screws.
Remove the boots and metal cover plate
Push down on the retainer ring and rotate counter clockwise to remove shifter.
Bushing is on the end of the shifter, but you will probably also need a shifter seat. They tend to disintegrate. Original one has a black rubber like washer with a greenish colored top, but betting the top part is completly gone.
Google and there are several write ups on replacing the bushing and seat.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Marlin Crawler has good replacement parts.

Be careful which screws/plates you un-screw. There is a plate, WHICH IS THE WRONG PLATE, that when you loosen it you could easily drop washers into the transmission.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:18 AM

I'll have to look at the baggie of parts, they may be Marlin's as I have their clutch too. If I remember, it's two parts of white delrin, but don't quote me on that, been 5-6 yrs since I look at them.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Marlin Crawler has good replacement parts.

Be careful which screws/plates you un-screw. There is a plate, WHICH IS THE WRONG PLATE, that when you loosen it you could easily drop washers into the transmission.
Dropping washers in the transmission would not be a happy day. I imagine it depends on the year and type of transmissions, but I do not recall that second set of bolts. I just had to remove four screws which hold down what is essentially a cab floor access plate. When removed, you are looking at the top of the transmission. The tranny stick is removed by pressing down and rotating the ring counter clockwise. The transfer case stick has a spring retainer ring which I removed with needle nose pliers.

For the Martin seat, you place the new seat in upside down, and rotate it around the two pins. There are instructions on his site.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/g...t-installation
Old 12-31-2016, 06:22 PM

would seem I at least have the right stuff, for a change
Attached Thumbnails Replace shifter bushing-marlin-shifter-kit.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats

http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation
Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
would seem I at least have the right stuff, for a change
Is that intake tube stainless? Is that a complete kit you got through Fuel Injection, Corp to included the hose couplers, steel tube, and AFM?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Is that intake tube stainless? Is that a complete kit you got through Fuel Injection, Corp to included the hose couplers, steel tube, and AFM?
ha ha, nope. My tube split one day and I couldn't find a new one anywhere. Toyota wanted some ridiculous amount for it and 2 weeks to get it. I ended up at a local auto parts store and they had a turbo tube that looked like i could make it work. It was cheap too. Got it home and it fit like I'd designed it for it. I was a happy camper that day.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by rad4runner
marlin crawler has good replacement parts.

Be careful which screws/plates you un-screw. there is a plate, which is the wrong plate, that when you loosen it you could easily drop washers into the transmission.
terrifying.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ha ha, nope. My tube split one day and I couldn't find a new one anywhere. Toyota wanted some ridiculous amount for it and 2 weeks to get it. I ended up at a local auto parts store and they had a turbo tube that looked like i could make it work. It was cheap too. Got it home and it fit like I'd designed it for it. I was a happy camper that day.
Ah, thanks! I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that, then. The piece of electrical grade pvc I used to replace the stock tube is now beginning to distort after many years of service and I fear it could be a source of vacuum leakage....even though after numerous sprays with ether no symptoms have surfaced. Still, I just don't feel good about it when I look at it...haha. Makes it a pain to check the dipsticks, too.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM

I was in Advanced Auto yesterday and saw the exact same tube.

Did the bushing install today. Whatever was supposed to be in there was completely gone, just a few tiny fragments left.

Was I supposed to leave the seal at the bottom? I took everything out and replaced it w/ the parts from Marlin.

Also the pins sticking in from the side were loose. I couldn't see any way to tighten them so I left them alone.

The boot above is torn so I have to get one and go back in there anyway, do I need to put that seal back?
Old 01-08-2017, 02:27 PM

I was in Advanced Auto yesterday and saw the exact same tube.

Did the bushing install today. Whatever was supposed to be in there was completely gone, just a few tiny fragments left.

Was I supposed to leave the seal at the bottom? I took everything out and replaced it w/ the parts from Marlin.

Also the pins sticking in from the side were loose. I couldn't see any way to tighten them so I left them alone.

The boot above is torn so I have to get one and go back in there anyway, do I need to put that seal back?
From https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/g...t-installation, you remove both the seat and insulator, so nope, do not put it back in. The bushing is the round plastic ball on the end of the stick. I think some folks refer to the seat as the bushing. What you found, with only a few fragments of the seat left and the rubber seal is pretty common. Pins on mine are loose too, but assumed they are supposed to be that way. If you find otherwise, please post what you find. Would also be interested in what you find on the replacement boot.

Seal install instructions:
Please follow these four easy steps to install:
1. Remove and discard your old Toyota seat and rubber insulator fully exposing the aluminum.
2. Turn our new seat upside down, and place the notches onto the pins inside the shift cover.
3. Rotate the seat around the pins and into place as shown in the animation below.
4. Apply grease to the new seat and install your shifter!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have any tricks to install the locking nut? I can get it to compress, but it won't spin to lock in place.

Thanks
idyota